ZF 8HP Transmission Fluid

Because it doesn't say anywhere on the bottle or Valvoline website specifically for that its compatible in this application, unless I missed it.
This is a part of a compatibility chart from Valvolines page: https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...2d889bd3/5ca3517a-e29c-e711-9c10-ac162d889bd3
Another: https://www.lubricentrojm.cl/ficha-tecnica/valvoline/US_Val_ML_ATF_EN.pdf .
It does say this in the second one tho:
Valvoline has conducted in-house testing, independent lab testing, andfield-testing to support MaxLife ATF performance in these transmissions; however, it is important to note that the respectivevehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor approved MaxLife ATF in these applications.

Attachments

• 1699569108458.jpg
    1699569108458.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 27
  • 1699569283354.jpg
    1699569283354.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 27
That is an excellent point. I know while these trans are common across multiple OEMS they all do their own slight variations with specs.
The newest Valvoline lists ZF as “recommended “ - I have enough ZF-LG for my next swap (gets me to end of warranty) - and I’m moving on - the ZF/Mopar fluids are just a semi for ridiculous $ …

IMG_1952.png
IMG_9566.jpeg

Wait! Is that new? I have not seen it yet. Does it replace the Red bottle Multi formula?
Great information and I appreciate that!
I’m not sure - there were several blue bottles and this at AZ - did not see old school MaxLife but they could have been out …
(still on website) …

If you can't get to the drain plug, suck it out through the dipstick/fill tube.

No need for a new filter, if it's full of stuff, trans is shot anyhow.

If you can't get to the drain plug, suck it out through the dipstick/fill tube.

No need for a new filter, if it's full of stuff, trans is shot anyhow.
That's easier said that done. I have thought about sucking the fluid out through the fill hole, but not sure if there is a clear enough path for it to be effective.

This application does not have a dipstick/fill tube.

That's easier said that done. I have thought about sucking the fluid out through the fill hole, but not sure if there is a clear enough path for it to be effective.

How do you fill and check the oil?

Can a muffler shop give you enough room … Had to do that on a Ford Explorer - also wrap those crossover pipes with header tape.

I've got the ZF fluid waiting to do this job on mine.. Was reasonable on Amazon a while back.. Still have to buy the pan, I'm sort of thinking I'll do the pan/filter for this first change and just use the drain plug for future changes. Anyone see any issues with this? I've got another 60k to decide.. haha

Edit: $82 for 6qts right now on Amazon.

Are we seriously complaining about the location of a fill plug that only gets touched once every 30-60k?
I am. 2015 AWD SXT Plus. Purchased several variations of 8mm hex bits, hoping to find a way to reinstall the fill plug without sticking my hand up against the catalytic converter and getting a serious index finger knuckle burn, which I did on the first refill. Never was able to use even a ball end hex bit and extension to get it started. After too much trial and error, came up with a combo solution. I cut several grooves along the outside edge of the plug (which is flat and nearly flush with the side of the transmission) so it can be more easily grasped. Then I cut the fingers off a leather glove. I'm going on six weeks and still have a nice scar to remind me. Next dump and fill will go smoother.

• Wow
Reactions: 4WD
Back