Who makes a fluid for 8 speed Ram 1500?

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Looking to pick some extra fluids to keep in the garage. The manual says Mopar ZF 8&9 speed ATF.

Has anyone seen anything like this, or is it a dealer only fluid?

The Mopar 8/9 speed ATF is otherwise known as ZF Lifeguard 8 and can be purchased either online or at Chrysler parts depts. If you Google it you should locate the product easily. I would suggest that you use the real thing and not some 'recommended for' product for that application.

I wouldn't mess with a fluid which claims to meet the spec either. That's a costly unit to be screwing around with fluids which claim to meet the spec.

Looking to pick some extra fluids to keep in the garage. The manual says Mopar ZF 8&9 speed ATF.

Found this on EBAY.

Quote:
BEST DEAL! ATF MOPAR ZF 8 & 9 Speed Transmission Fluid, 12 PK, 550038692
$139.99
or Best Offer
Free shipping

Redline d6 meets the spec and they state it wont go below 6.1 Ram Zf requires a different approach to a conventional ATF formulation. Rather than beginning with a 7.5 cSt fluid and allowing a viscosity loss in use to drop to 5.5 cSt, the fluid requires a starting viscosity of less than 6.4 and a final drop to no less than 5.5 cSt. Red Line D6 will drop to no less than 6.1 cSt. Or buy the PAO at 25 bucks a quart, either way you really don't need to change the fluid often. Rams says lifetime, but common that is kind of silly. 150k miles, sounds about right to me.

Last edited:
Gonto Youtube and look up MoparEcoDiesel channel. He went into a lot of detail about his transmission and the fluids he used. Very informative. He had 191k on his and used Amsoil and then saw was using Maxlife ATF. Unfortunately he passed away not long after all that. Lifetime fluid?? I don't think so, look at his fluid and pan at 50k
And you won't think that.

lifetime fluid just isn't realistic. Transmissions aren't throw away items even though the gov't and manufacturers would like them to be. I will look that up. Most guys with the 8 speed changing their fluid at 100k looks new, but I will look up that link thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: burla
I doubt that was the 8 speed? Only started in 2013 but most really have them from 2014 on. Eco diesels didn't get them to 2014 for sure. Ram forum has guys now just starting to hit 100k with these new 8 speeds, and the fluid is coming out like new. To meet the spec you need a PAO or Ester base, so the fluid is already better then anything they had in previous Rams. I have the 6 speed, it is a load of garbage. But the guys running the 8 speed tend to really love them. But yeah lifetime fluid just isn't realistic. Transmissions aren't throw away items even though the gov't and manufacturers would like them to be.

It was a 2014 EcoDiesel with the ZF 8-speed. He had a hotshot business wherein he hauled up to 1400 lbs in the bed, AND towed a trailer that could weigh up to 7k lbs. He did that 5 days a week, all towing in the mountains. If you're interested, you can view his videos which are still on Youtube.

Unfortunately he is no longer with us, having passed in May of 2016.

Well I looked it up, and yes it seams there was metal in the tranny. However, the oil looked good. Video Here was the youtube if we are allowed to post that?

Thanks, his youtube channel is an incredible resource. Stuff like that is the best part of the internet thing.

In fact, after watching Shawn's battle with metal shavings from his eco diesel channel, I would wager that maybe Redline c+ would be a better choice then D6. The d6 is a result of this government of ours trying to squeeze the CAFE garbage out of our transmissions. As if a 7.5 visc at 100 as with the C+ will give less mileage then D6's 6.4 visc at 100. Ram Forum pretty much has most of it's members run 5w30 despite the manufacturer's [censored] 5w20, and there has been no issues. 100's of Ram Owners have been running 5w30 now. I don't know the outcome of Shawns moving over to maxlife which has a higher visc, but clearly he went from 100k to 192k on that oil. So it appears maybe the oil choice for the transmission is just like the oil for the engine, go ahead and run a little thicker, it worked for Shawn.

FYI...ZF recommends a pan drop every 45k-70k miles under their "severe service" interval. The TQ converter doesn't hold a lot so you'll get most out via pan drop. BTW..you'll also want to hook your truck up to a computer and reset the transmission after the ATF change for "optimal results" per ZF.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

The Mopar 8/9 speed ATF is otherwise known as ZF Lifeguard 8 and can be purchased either online or at Chrysler parts depts. If you Google it you should locate the product easily. I would suggest that you use the real thing and not some 'recommended for' product for that application.

I wouldn't mess with a fluid which claims to meet the spec either. That's a costly unit to be screwing around with fluids which claim to meet the spec.
It is safe to use other fluids.. I recently changed my fluid on my 8hp70. I watched this very detailed and helpful video on youtube. Its long but full of info... especially section 2 fluids.

I just found the video so helpful... saved me hundreds $$$. I know there's alot of people with these trans so just trying to share the info.

I guess by now we know you’ve found the video very helpful. That’s all you’ve posted on all the old threads you’ve been bringing back to life.
Thanks for the video and Welcome to BITOG!

It is safe to use other fluids.. I recently changed my fluid on my 8hp70. I watched this very detailed and helpful video on youtube. Its long but full of info... especially section 2 fluids.

At the moment I don't own anything with a ZF8 speed. In all honesty I'd be a bit leery using something like Maxlife in it. I'd have to do a lot more research than watching a few videos on YouTube. Then if I'm still under warranty and things go bad with an alternate fluid my bet is the cost to replace the unit would make me very sick! Especially if I ended up eating it. When the BITOG resident experts who own a ZF8 speed start reporting in mass and members like @MolaKule give it the blessing I'd be feeling a bit better about it.

At the moment I don't own anything with a ZF8 speed. In all honesty I'd be a bit leery using something like Maxlife in it. I'd have to do a lot more research than watching a few videos on YouTube. Then if I'm still under warranty and things go bad with an alternate fluid my bet is the cost to replace the unit would make me very sick! Especially if I ended up eating it. When the BITOG resident experts who own a ZF8 speed start reporting in mass and members like @MolaKule give it the blessing I'd be feeling a bit better about it.
Ya I hear you... I personally changed my grand cherokee with maxlife... and before watching the video I had the same reservations about it as you. There is definitely alot of rumors, myths, and theories out there.

Ya I hear you... I personally changed my grand cherokee with maxlife... and before watching the video I had the same reservations about it as you. There is definitely alot of rumors, myths, and theories out there.
The issue I have is that I know Lifeguard 8 fluid will never cause an issue. Maxlife may or it may not given time.

The issue I have is that I know Lifeguard 8 fluid will never cause an issue. Maxlife may or it may not given time.
I’m not a fan of MaxLifing all the things. Especially European gearboxes. ZFs aren’t exactly cheap to rebuild or source a reman either.

Not related, I used MaxLife in a Frontier, owner didn’t like the shift feel - back to Matic-S it went.

Back