ZF 8HP Transmission Fluid

Called them this morning, they claim to use Mopar fluid.

9qts x $35 = $315

$110 left for an hour of labor?
Seems too low. $110 barely pays for 1/2 hr of labor here.

Most likely, if they are using Mopar fluid, they’re doing a 5-6 qt drain and refill and charging an hr for labor.

I use a a lot of Maxlife trans fluid because it works well and is spec'd as compatible in a lot of transmissions - BUT don't use it or any other multi vehicle fluid in the ZF 8 speed. You gotta pay the price for the correct fluid and just move on. Besides this is one of the best transmissions regarding smoothness and the way it always has the right gear chosen for any situation - the fluid plays a big part to that smooth driveability.

I use a a lot of Maxlife trans fluid because it works well and is spec'd as compatible in a lot of transmissions - BUT don't use it or any other multi vehicle fluid in the ZF 8 speed. You gotta pay the price for the correct fluid and just move on. Besides this is one of the best transmissions regarding smoothness and the way it always has the right gear chosen for any situation - the fluid plays a big part to that smooth driveability.
Why not? I've heard of many successes using it, it says it is recommended for applications using Lifeguard 8/9, and I used it in a BMW 335 with the ZF8 with no issues or change in shifting.

Why not? I've heard of many successes using it, it says it is recommended for applications using Lifeguard 8/9, and I used it in a BMW 335 with the ZF8 with no issues or change in shifting.
Keep in mind that success is dependent on the application. Certain operating conditions, such as towing, may expose incompatibilities more so that a low load application. FCA’s programming may also be different than BMW’s and that has a large impact on fluid behavior.

Because it doesn't say anywhere on the bottle or Valvoline website specifically for that its compatible in this application, unless I missed it. Now it does say BMW and I have used it on a 540 and M6 with no issues. You may have a valid point - same transmission. Thank you, I will research again because both my RAM and Jeep are ready for trans service.

Keep in mind that success is dependent on the application. Certain operating conditions, such as towing, may expose incompatibilities more so that a low load application. FCA’s programming may also be different than BMW’s and that has a large impact on fluid behavior.
That is an excellent point. I know while these trans are common across multiple OEMS they all do their own slight variations with specs.

My modified method to doing this:

Remove rear tranny crossmember nuts and jack it up and shim under the mount to keep it up. Remove the pan and catch every drop of fluid. Clean and wash the pan, then reinstall. Lower the transmission and reinstall nuts for crossmember mount. Then measure the fluid you removed. Jack up the passenger side of the truck a few inches and pump in the fill hole the exact amount of new fluid that you got out with the old fluid. Example 5qts, 8oz. That is what you put back in.

Done. Here is my thoughts, if the factory filled it correctly, then this method will work. No need for the complex fill method. If the tranny wont take it and it overflows. Start it runs thru the gears a few times and try again. Mine took it all with no problems. I used about 5 and 3/4 qts. In not sure you would techically need to change the pan. Mine had 190k and was not good, but yours is only at 70k.

The filter is more of a replace with an issue scenario on these. Replacing the fluid only would be what I would do

The level is not some exact science they want you to think it is. You run the vehicle and fill it till it’s dumping out. They only usually start having issues at about 3 or more quarts low from my experience

Also you can cut a piece of a 10 mm hex key and use a wrench to remove that plug with out undoing anything to drain it.

A lot of the replacement pans are not coming with drains just fyi

The filter is more of a replace with an issue scenario on these. Replacing the fluid only would be what I would do

The level is not some exact science they want you to think it is. You run the vehicle and fill it till it’s dumping out. They only usually start having issues at about 3 or more quarts low from my experience

Also you can cut a piece of a 10 mm hex key and use a wrench to remove that plug with out undoing anything to drain it.

A lot of the replacement pans are not coming with drains just fyi
Thanks for the info. The fluid fill seems more tedious than anything.

Didn’t think of chopping a hex key.

Can you pump it out the trans cooler lines? I use to do Ford trans changes by pumping it out at idle speed until the flow lessened. Then filled with about 2/3s the fill and repeat until the fluid coming out is new looking. Then top off. Might be hard to do with fill plugs though. Maybe it can suck up the new fluid from the other side of the cooler line?

I've done 5 oil changes on ZF 8HP's in 3 different cars using multi-vehicle ATF's and all had a noticeable improvement afterwards. 8HP's are not fussy.

I've done 5 oil changes on ZF 8HP's in 3 different cars using multi-vehicle ATF's and all had a noticeable improvement afterwards. 8HP's are not fussy.
Good to know! I actually went to the website and it metioned ZF trans but not Mopar specifically so that originally worried me but now with your feedback and others (and that I have used it on BMWs) I will go an try it on my ZF's!

Back