Garage Door Won't Go Down

Have you detached the mechanism that pulls/pushes door and tried it manually. Guessing where it reverses might be a hard spot along track . You’ll feel it. Also if your door is not easy to open/shut off the opener it means you need spring/track/cable work. It should be near balanced and able to lift with bare minimum effort.

I just got the logic board back from repair Thursday. The guy found nothing until after he froze the board. Vibration issue. He resoldered
“everything” and was able to get the output voltage back up. He had 7 boards and he said 3 of them had vibration issues where freezing would magnify the problem.

So far, I’m impressed. We will know by this afternoon. It appears to have been a wonky logic board.

Well, it ain't the logic board assuming it is fixed. I have worked the problem (Seal Team) and the problem is still the same. I do have 2 infrared sensors coming Monday. If they don't fix it, I'm gonna trim my toe nails too short.
Have you detached the mechanism that pulls/pushes door and tried it manually. Guessing where it reverses might be a hard spot along track . You’ll feel it. Also if your door is not easy to open/shut off the opener it means you need spring/track/cable work. It should be near balanced and able to lift with bare minimum effort.
Yes. It reverses at different points. 1 foot, 2 foot, 4 foot, etc. Not consistent.

Just throwing in an idea that I'm sure you've already contemplated. Maybe the motor is getting worn & causing a spike in current, then the board sees this as a "Jam" so it promptly reverses course. Is this a door you've used like daily for the last 20 years?

Well, it ain't the logic board assuming it is fixed. I have worked the problem (Seal Team) and the problem is still the same. I do have 2 infrared sensors coming Monday. If they don't fix it, I'm gonna trim my toe nails too short.

Yes. It reverses at different points. 1 foot, 2 foot, 4 foot, etc. Not consistent.
If you are getting the old style Chamberlain safety sensors with the round LEDs, they should wire-in exactly like your existing ones (i.e, twist white wires together, twist red stripe wires together and insert in respective terminals on the GDO unit).

Old style sensors
1704564055003.png

New style sensors
1704564216699.png

If you are getting the new style sensors with the rectangular LED lens, the Chamberlain wiring instructions will likely be incorrect for your older GDO. I could not get both sensors to light up by connecting white to white and red stripe to red stripe. I finally got them to work by twisting a white wire with a red stripe wire and then connecting each mixed pair to the GDO terminals. Also, there was a bit of trial and error since the new style sensors are polarized. If both LEDs don't illuminate on your first try, just flip the mixed paired wire connections at the GDO terminals until both LEDs illuminate.

Just throwing in an idea that I'm sure you've already contemplated. Maybe the motor is getting worn & causing a spike in current, then the board sees this as a "Jam" so it promptly reverses course. Is this a door you've used like daily for the last 20 years?
Yes. Same opener and door.

If you are getting the old style Chamberlain safety sensors with the round LEDs, they should wire-in exactly like your existing ones (i.e, twist white wires together, twist red stripe wires together and insert in respective terminals on the GDO unit).

Old style sensors
View attachment 196792
New style sensors
View attachment 196796
If you are getting the new style sensors with the rectangular LED lens, the Chamberlain wiring instructions will likely be incorrect for your older GDO. I could not get both sensors to light up by connecting white to white and red stripe to red stripe. I finally got them to work by twisting a white wire with a red stripe wire and then connecting each mixed pair to the GDO terminals. Also, there was a bit of trial and error since the new style sensors are polarized. If both LEDs don't illuminate on your first try, just flip the mixed paired wire connections at the GDO terminals until both LEDs illuminate.
Thanks! I am getting the old style sensors off eBay. LOL Supposed to be here Monday.

I had a new one to replace the "Sender" and that made no difference. I am hoping it is the "Receiver" one. We should no Monday evening.

I’ll second this. Lunch at Subway for the family is $90. I’m not sweating a $200 opener that served me well for 20 years.
LOL. And my electric and groceries are up about $400 a month. Auto and home insurance up about a third. The problem is my income didn’t move in the same direction.
We rarely eat out. ;)

For those of you that want to know...

It was the Receiver Infrared Sensor. $76 total repair. Runs like a swiss watch. Well, more like a Timex. It just keeps on ticking.

For those of you that want to know...

It was the Receiver Infrared Sensor. $76 total repair. Runs like a swiss watch. Well, more like a Timex. It just keeps on ticking.
awesome! thanks for the update, nice to know you got it running again!

Back