Which 5W40 do you like best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dblshock
that's just too much, half that ($3.50) should get this done.

Half what? Where are you beating $32.99 for a 502 oil AND M1/Boss/K&N filter?

Even at WM, a 5 quart jug of of Edge is $23 and an M1 or Ultra is $10.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
Favorite A3/B4 5W-40 with euro OEM approvals goes to Pennzoil Platinum Euro. If it's good enough for Ferrari....

But at $10 a quart someone needs to make the case it is twice as good as Castrol 0W-40
wink.gif

$28.88 at Wally World. It has the same specs as Castrol. Both Ferrari and Maserati like it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Favorite A3/B4 5W-40 with euro OEM approvals goes to Pennzoil Platinum Euro. If it's good enough for Ferrari....

But at $10 a quart someone needs to make the case it is twice as good as Castrol 0W-40
wink.gif

$28.88 CDN at Wally World. It has the same specs as Castrol. Both Ferrari and Maserati like it.

And that should be it for our thickie Love In. Adios.

Last edited:
I put 69k miles on a 2011 GTI and ran whatever 502 was convenient at the time, which included;

Edge 5w40 x 4
Edge 0w40 x 2
Mobil 1 0w40 x 1
Fuchs GT1 5w40 x 3
Total Quartz 0w40 x 1

The only one I noticed any difference with at all was the Mobil. The engine seemed to free rev more easily when warm and it made rev matching easier. Other than that they all seemed the same.

Last edited:

wink.gif

$28.88 at Wally World. It has the same specs as Castrol. Both Ferrari and Maserati like it.

Not here in the Milwaukee area. None of the Walmart stores sell Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 at all, much less a 5-quart container. AAP does have it for $9.99 a quart (I was off by a penny). Some Walmart stores have the 0W-40 product for a lot less than $9.99 a quart but that doesn't have the Ferrari approval (nor LL-01 "same specs as Castrol") you're mentioning.

Where exactly are you all getting the 5W-40 product for half what I'm seeing?

1JZ_E46 said:

wink.gif

Where exactly are you all getting the 5W-40 product for half what I'm seeing?

Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Sept 29, 2018. It was actually a Canadian Tire, not Walmart. ( I stand corrected but was still about $30 CDN or $22.50 US. It was made in Canada, according to the back of the jug. 5 liter container.

59BC9946-8765-4F90-A1A9-FBAAEA0F99CC.jpeg

Last edited:
The premise in this thread that you "have" to use a 5W-40 is silly.

Some clarification maybe?

I have consecutive runs of Castrol 0W40, a FUCHS 5W30 and am currently doing a PP EURO 0W30. (I have UOAs for the first two and will do for the PP this spring.) I thought it might be "interesting" to throw in a 5W40 and see how the UOA compares to the previous ones.

Well that's a good deal for you in Canada then for an oil with a plethora of approvals. I did find it on walmart.com for $7.67 a quart but not in the 5-quart containers. Not a bad price but for me, still more than Castrol even with the recent price increase.

Was that some kind of special deal at that price? The Canadian Tire website doesn't even show that grade as available, and what they do have is nearly $54 for the 5-quart containers.

If you need a 502 00 oil, buy the cheapest actual 502 00 oil you can find and ignore the rest.

Added to my supply just last week.

(The problem is that the sump takes 6 quarts and so the 5L jug is not enough and the sale did not apply to the 1L bottles
confused2.gif
)
(This is Cdn funds)

Pennzoil5W40.JPG

Originally Posted by 21Rouge

(The problem is that the sump takes 6 quarts and so the 5L jug is not enough and the sale did not apply to the 1L bottles
confused2.gif
)
(This is Cdn funds)

That's a great deal on the oil even if it was just a temporary sale. I've never seen it anywhere close to that price here in the US and I'm always on the lookout for another LL-01 oil.

At that price I'd buy several to cover your 6-quart requirement and save the rest for next time. My BMW takes 8 quarts so I have a similar situation.

Originally Posted by 21Rouge

confused2.gif
)
(This is Cdn funds)

That's a great deal on the oil. I've never seen it anywhere close to that price here in the US and I'm always on the lookout for another LL-01 oil.

At that price I'd buy several to cover your 6-quart requirement and save the rest for next time. My BMW takes 8 quarts so I have a similar situation.

Essentially I would need to buy six 5L jugs to make for 5 complete oil changes (to me 6 L = 6 quarts) but I was only buying the 5W40 as a single use experiment
21.gif

Well that's a good deal for you in Canada then for an oil with a plethora of approvals. I did find it on walmart.com for $7.67 a quart but not in the 5-quart containers. Not a bad price but for me, still more than Castrol even with the recent price increase.

Was that some kind of special deal at that price? The Canadian Tire website doesn't even show that grade as available, and what they do have is nearly $54 for the 5-quart containers.

Yes, google Canadian Tire Flyers. The regular prices are indeed over $50 CDN. Canadian Tire always has a few select oils on sale. Usually one is on the front page of the flyer. This week, Castrol Edge is 50% off. The flyers change every Thursday at 1:00 PM local time. Sale prices are generally the same across Canada. The common oils on sale are Castrol, Pennzoil, Quaker State and Motormaster ( house blend made by Citgo ). Sometimes the diesel oils are put on sale for a lesser deal.

The other major competitor is Wally World where 5 liters of what ever is put on sale for $28 or $29 CDN. Regular price is almost always above $50 Canadian.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pennzoil-platinum-euro-synthetic-motor-oil-5-l-0289356p.html

It goes on sale for $32.99 every 4 - 5 weeks or so.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by FlyPenFly
Redline Euro 5w40, NOACK of 6%, HTHS 4.3 and calcium under 2000ppm.

The Euro 5w40 has a NOACK of 11%.
https://www.redlineoil.com/professional-series-5w40-motor-oil

The regular (higher ZDDP) 5w40 is 6%
https://www.redlineoil.com/5w40-motor-oil

The Euro is approved one. They had to develop separate 5W40 oil to get approvals, and they did, a truly mediocre one. Nothing stopped Redline to get approval for their regular 5W40 if they could. Which means that regular 5W40 does not meet and exceed requirements.
But, as long as there is sheep, there will be wool.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by FlyPenFly
Redline Euro 5w40, NOACK of 6%, HTHS 4.3 and calcium under 2000ppm.

The Euro 5w40 has a NOACK of 11%.
https://www.redlineoil.com/professional-series-5w40-motor-oil

The regular (higher ZDDP) 5w40 is 6%
https://www.redlineoil.com/5w40t-motor-oil

The Euro is approved one. They had to develop separate 5W40 oil to get approvals, and they did, a truly mediocre one. Nothing stopped Redline to get approval for their regular 5W40 if they could. Which means that regular 5W40 does not meet and exceed requirements.
But, as long as there is sheep, there will be wool.

With increasing Euro emissions standards, it affects what goes into the additive package.

That's why Redline claims on the higher ZDDP version it still meets the 505.00-1997 and 505.01-1999 revisions, not the current revision that meets Euro 6 emissions requirements.

Redline knows the regular one will fail the current VW standard due to its additive package with its higher zddp and probably Sulphated ash, so they didn't bother to get that one "approved".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back