Mobil1 0w40 question for 2GR-FE Toyota

Well yeah. There are W30 oils that are borderline W20. I think PP Platinum 5W30 has cat at 9.3.
Yep. Even in a Euro oil sometimes.

Here's a graph of M1 FS 5W-30 and Castrol Euro 0W-30 A3/B4 from PDS numbers. The M1 is ever so slightly thinner even at -30 C, but still fails the 0W CCS/MRV I would have to assume or it would be sold as 0W.

cm.jpg

Yep. Even in a Euro oil sometimes.

Here's a graph of M1 FS 5W-30 and Castrol Euro 0W-30 A3/B4 from PDS numbers. The M1 is ever so slightly thinner even at -30 C, but still fails the 0W CCS/MRV I would have to assume or it would be sold as 0W.

View attachment 191105
Visc calcs don't work properly below 0C if that's what was used to create that plot.

Yeah, it was. I realize it's not perfect because of the VM, PPDs, etc. The 5W-30 is actually slightly thinner even at 40 C.
Just to give you an idea, SpectraSyn 4 (so, no VII, no PPD's) graphs thusly:
Screen Shot 2023-12-01 at 9.55.01 PM.jpg

with a -40C visc of 6,505cSt.

Actual -40C KV? 2,900cSt.

Do the same thing with SpectraSyn 6, -40 visc calculates at 16,383cSt, actual -40C visc is 7,800cSt.

Just to add, short trips=thinner oil. The oil might not reach operating temperature at all. In 2GR-FE I ran everything, but settled on Mobil1 5W30 EP.
Just to confirm I understand this, Short tripped NA, PI, vehicles do better with thinner oils vs M1 0w40 Euro?

Just to confirm I understand this, Short tripped NA, PI, vehicles do better with thinner oils vs M1 0w40 Euro?
Better how? Thicker oils heat up faster, so if that's your goal to reduce the fuel then thicker is better.

The only thing a thinner oil is better at is fuel economy. The rest are downsides as long as the winter rating is appropriate.

Better how? Thicker oils heat up faster, so if that's your goal to reduce the fuel then thicker is better.

The only thing a thinner oil is better at is fuel economy. The rest are downsides as long as the winter rating is appropriate.
you confuse him. one say thinner oil might not getting operating temp faster.
you say thick oil heats up faster.
i think he asks if you both say the same thing to him.
so ''as long as the winter rating is appropriate'' 5- for example ,which one is appropriate / better for fuel dilution and which one for short trips -30 or -40 ? in addition you always say that grade is irrelevant on thick/thin viscosity. hths is defying that. so why this conversation goes again to which grade for thin or thick?
shouldn't you advise to choose between a hths 3.5 for thinner to 3.8-3.9 thicker instead of grades comparison? within approvals ofcourse.

Can you run those same charts for me using M1 0w30afe vs 0w40fs?
If possible also a chart showing a 50/50 blend of M1 0w20afe and 0w40fs since that might be my summer mix since 0w30 is hard to find around here.
Thanks.

Why are you worrying about a 0W winter rating? It’s irrelevant. I would not “blend” anything, ever.

^^^^ +1 ^^^^^^
the combined knowledge of this forum is admittedly at the pinnacle of automotive related Internet forums.

But the engineers and scientists who have formulated these lubrication products are on different level than educated layman. Second guessing them by mixing products is not a positive step.

My Tacoma has the 2GR-FKS and specs 0W-20 but I use Ultra Platinum 5W-30. My gen III 5.7 Chrysler Hemi specs 5W-20 but I run 0W-40 because I run it hard. Chrysler recommends 0W-40 in the 6.4 hemi (which is virtually the same engine just higher output). I run only Ultra Platinum in the hemi because it’s the only oil I have found to meet the Chrysler MS A-0921 spec. I have no idea what that spec entails but that’s what they want in the 700+hp 6.2L engine as well.

I'm thinking mixing fresh Mobil 1 is not a big deal. Anytime you change brands or viscosity you are mixing new oil with old.
Lol, as my wife tells me often, "Let's agree to disagree."

Back to the topic at hand, I am looking forward to using M1 0w40 at my next change.

1701622159969.jpg

Why are you worrying about a 0W winter rating? It’s irrelevant. I would not “blend” anything, ever.

I occasionally take my van camping in the mountains where temperatures can drop. Last year was out in South Dakota but luckily avoided any really cold weather. I wouldn't say I am "worrying" about running a 0w, I just prefer it I can find it.

Back