Honda/Acura J37 V6 - HPL PPCO vs HPL No VIIs Oil vs HPL SuperCar Oil

First, I full well understand this may be the most nonsensical overkill for a normie J37 V6 in my Acura TL SH-AWD, but I'm just curious and this is a bit of a hobby for me now.

My car has around 32,500 miles on it now; previous owner drove very very little and followed the Maintenance Minder for a dealership synthetic oil change every 10k miles approximately. I'm currently about 800 miles from completing my first very short OCI using M1 5W30 and the HPL Engine Cleaner 30. I plan to do this combo again and run this for about approximately 2000 miles. At that point, I'll run the HPL PPCO 5W30 and Amsoil Signature Filer I bought. The only real issue this engine is known to have is coking around the rings and oil consumption with some miles on it if there is a lower tier oil or longer OCIs.

*Just because I may be this over the top....*

As I'm still learning a bit, could someone tell me, in laymens terms, what the benefits or demerits of each of the HPL oils (PPCO, no VIIs, and SuperCar) would be in my engine. My car is a daily driver with 50% city and shorter drives with 50% longer highway trips of 25 miles or more on the interstate at 75-80mph. I live in Tennessee so the temps vary (normally) between 20s on average at the coldest to mid/high 90s pretty consistently during July/August. In my mind, the main benefit I'm looking for is keeping this engine as clean as humanly possible and only preventing premature wear. It is not a race or super car (obviously) but I wouldn't mind at all running the oil that those vehicles use.

I don't expect to get an increase of any power really. Nor do I expect my fuel economy to double. I'm just trying to map out in my mind how each of those 3 series of HPL oils would perform in my car. Imagine, if you will, someone gave you a blank check with HPL and your mission was to create the ultimate in lubrication for a 10 year old low mileage Acura TL.....lol. For the sake of this discussion, let's assume that I will only use @High Performance Lubricants because that is my plan.

I wouldn't run the Engine Cleaner again. The cleaner mixed with M1 doesn't have as much cleaning ability as the Esters and AN's in the HPL actual oil products. Other than that, I wouldn't know which of those oils is "mo' betta" than the others...any of them would work great in your engine.

If you're seeing high oil consumption, then I'd use a less expensive oil. I would start with their regular Passenger Car Oil and go from there. The cleaning ability is the same among all the lines.

If you're seeing high oil consumption, then I'd use a less expensive oil. I would start with their regular Passenger Car Oil and go from there. The cleaning ability is the same among all the lines.

This the the answer to a question that I've had in my head for a few days.

If I wanted to make sure my engine was good and clean, should I just keep running PCMO, or PPCMO or PPPCMO or HDEO or Euro or Supercar

Thanks. That was one of my main questions - does one clean/protect better than the others?

The cleaning is the same across the board. The differences are in the base oil composition and VII polymer used. PP is PAO based. In your climate the PAO will do little for you. I would opt for the regular PCMO in your case.
Please don't take this as anything against you.

It's humorous to me how we've evolved (and for the better IMO). It used to be (and I'm sure some still are) PAO, PAO, PAO, if it's not PAO it's crap, not a real synthetic, might as well dump marvel mystery oil in if it's not PAO.

Use a fluid for the properties that it excels in. PAO excels for cold flow. I probably wouldn't benefit from a PAO base as much as someone in WI, MN, Canada, etc. We touch single digits a couple times a winter, we're in the teens for a couple weeks in the winter and in the 20s regularly in the winter. That's not really cold.

Please don't take this as anything against you.

It's humorous to me how we've evolved (and for the better IMO). It used to be (and I'm sure some still are) PAO, PAO, PAO, if it's not PAO it's crap, not a real synthetic, might as well dump marvel mystery oil in if it's not PAO.

Use a fluid for the properties that it excels in. PAO excels for cold flow. I probably wouldn't benefit from a PAO base as much as someone in WI, MN, Canada, etc. We touch single digits a couple times a winter, we're in the teens for a couple weeks in the winter and in the 20s regularly in the winter. That's not really cold.
No offense taken at all. I hear you. Amsoil went from putting PAO on their boxes, to now stating that they really like Group III's. It is kind of funny. :)

That engine doesn't need a 30 grade. Given that you live in central TN, I would use HPL PCMO 10W-20. It has no VII, straight base oil, with the same ester and AN content. I just finished a 16k mile run on that oil in my wife's Mustang with 1k miles wear and still had 3.7 TBN. It also has the lowest Noack I've ever seen from an oil at just 3.4%.

The cleaning is the same across the board. The differences are in the base oil composition and VII polymer used. PP is PAO based. In your climate the PAO will do little for you. I would opt for the regular PCMO in your case.

Good info. I have a 6qts of PP that I ordered when I read about HPL here. I'll use that in about 800ish miles when my current sump of M1 5W30 and 1 qt of HPL EC 30 reach the approx 2200 mile mark.

Good info. I have a 6qts of PP that I ordered when I read about HPL here. I'll use that in about 800ish miles when my current sump of M1 5W30 and 1 qt of HPL EC 30 reach the approx 2200 mile mark.
I would run the current fill up to 5,000 mi to do extra cleaning then run whichever

Delo has many semi-syn oils that are rated for many certifications and are significantly cheaper than HPL, and will likely see less consumption as well.

It's very rare for me to discourage people from using HPL, but significant oil burners or specific outputs lower than say 0.8HP/ci usually don't make sense unless the goal is maximum OCI length...

Back