If HPL was NOT a sponsor here then how would it truly compare to other boutique oils like redline and Amsoil? What makes HPL different and special?

I know nothing about oil besides the fact that I live in Houston and that some oils I use to cook my fries.

Now, this board as any other hobby board tends to devolve into a herd mentality and cultish behavior. Eventually everyone parrots others without knowing why. AutoRX, MMO, oil catch cans in modern cars anyone?

Now that being said; I highly respect HPL and I will purchase their product once I am financially stable. But my question boils down to basically: "what makes them different from other boutique oils like Amsoil, Redline, Motul, Royal Puke or Bobs backyard moonshine blend?" And "how will they improve my vehicle performance/longevity over major brand synthetics like M1, Penzoil Ultra?"

They use better base stocks. They use better additives. They have one of the most respected chemists in the industry developing their formulations. They do more extensive testing. Their oils perform better. Last longer.

If they weren’t a sponsor - they would still be making the very best products on the market.

I parrot nothing.

I’ve stood in their plant. Toured their lab. Watched how they test. Used their products.

HPL products are like $25+ per pound coffee. Is it worth double to triple what my Frankenblend costs that show Excellent UOA's out to 10K. Honestly I like to get the dirt out of the engine on a regular basis. Plus it gives me something to do once a year. 20-30K OCI's aint doing that, even if your oil contains "Miracle Dirt Destroying Unicorn Tears" additives. IMO YMMV

They have a great product, but so does Redline, Motul(300v) and Amsoil, Mobil 1, Driven, RLI, and a host of others. Pick what you like and run it hard. In the end, a good quality oil thats correct for the application will work great!

I run Redline 0w40 and 300V 5w40 in my 640hp C63 and 600hp Civic

Wifes 400hp C43 gets Amsoil 0w40 euro.....Why? Its thin and gets up to temp fast, and she never let's her car warm up lol. Mobil 1 0w40 works fine too.

Tundra and Slingshot get whatever 30w I have laying around because it doesn't matter with those vehicles

I have a buddy that tracks his 911 Turbo and uses HPL and it works awesome.

Of his whole reply, you fixated on the fact he's been in the plant?
Yeah, because that's one of the most powerful marketing tools there is. In any business, entertaining potential new customers through facility visits are huge. We don't see that much with consumer level goods, so that's what makes it stand out even more. It's a major influence, so much so that he recalled his positive experience to a bunch of strangers. Solid marketing by HPL.

Of his whole reply, you fixated on the fact he's been in the plant?
It's undeniable that the impression you'd get from something like that will not at least thread a bit of bias into you. I fixated of the UOA's being the best I've seen as numbers talk. As the saying goes an hour long chat with a porta potty ceo will have you running out to buy all their stock.

It's undeniable that the impression you'd get from something like that will not at least thread a bit of bias into you. I fixated of the UOA's being the best I've seen as numbers talk. As the saying goes an hour long chat with a porta potty ceo will have you running out to buy all their stock.
Bingo.

If you toured, let's say, a Mobil 1 plant, would you have also been just as impressed though? What I'm saying is that sure, HPL is fantastic, but they're also the ones that marketed to you the hardest.
Yeah, because that's one of the most powerful marketing tools there is. In any business, entertaining potential new customers through facility visits are huge. We don't see that much with consumer level goods, so that's what makes it stand out even more. It's a major influence, so much so that he recalled his positive experience to a bunch of strangers. Solid marketing by HPL.

You, and the OP, seem to imply that somehow HPL is marketing to the BITOG crowd, and worse, that sponsorship gains them favorable reviews, which is simply not true. It's laughably far from the truth.

No one is "marketing" to me. I promise. I know when I'm being courted, when people want my business. It used to happen when I was a Captain in the USN, and worked in requirements, with a large budget and much larger influence in the purchasing decisions across the fleet. It happens now with financial planners and others who want me as a client.

It is most certainly not happening with me in the world of oil.

HPL is a small business. Their niche - make the very best.

I'm certain Mobil has a very impressive operation. A very impressive plant. But, and this is the key difference, they formulate with a balance of profit and performance. At their price point, they make some great products.

HPL isn't that much more expensive, but that better blend (and it is better, read Dr. Rudnick's book, if you can find it) yields better performance. HPL has several contracts, all proprietary, but they include many entities who do their own testing, in very large fleets, on dynamometers, with the sophisticated testing that a large entity can and will use to determine product life and performance in their operation, and they have experience in very large scale use.

Those entities have awarded HPL their business on the basis of performance and cost.

Yes, cost. As an example - a hydraulic fluid that last four times as long (yes, four times) means that an operator, who owns thousands of pieces of equipment in use, saves tremendous down time (which is what happens when pulling equipment off a site to get it serviced, and losing days, or weeks of production) on that fleet by spending a bit more on HPL. They also save money on fluid, that costs twice as much, but lasts four times as long in the equipment. That's a winning combination, economically, for that entity. They buy HPL after testing it themselves. That's a big client.

There are many clients like that for HPL. Big entities who have analyzed the economic gain from using HPL in their large operation.

BITOG users? Well, I hate to break this to you, but you aren't the target market. You just aren't.

The pittance that this group spends on oil by comparison with big contracts aren't worth cultivating as a client base. HPL does it because they're genuinely good people. But we on the forum are so small that they make just a few bucks on our sales, when they make big $$ on those fleet/operator/entity sales.

So, don't kid yourself. Nobody is "marketing" to me, or you, or this forum. We aren't that big of an economic prize. So, all the theories about sponsorship, or influence, are hopelessly inaccurate.

I chose to use HPL in my cars because it is better than Mobil, or Pennzoil, or others. I have enjoyed the indulgence. I have been impressed with their custom blends, made at the request of users here.

I also chose to support an American small business over a large corporation. That's my prerogative. That's one of my principles.

When you talk with the owner of the company, you get a great guy who is willing to give you his time and share his expertise. When you talk with Mary Jane (who answers the phone) at HPL about your order, you get a nice lady, working for a small business, who will help you get the oil you need, and often, helps saves you a few $$ in shipping.

They are responsive in a way that big corporations are not. For example, if you call them, they often have just what you need, for example, that oddball 75W gear oil for a Toyota transfer case at $18/quart, when Toyota wants $80/quart, and you need two quarts.

By making products like that, by making products that last longer in operation, HPL can save me, the little guy, a lot of money. Check out some of @wwillson 's threads on extended drain. Check out some of the threads by other users.

A responsive company, listening to their customers, making products that are unique, at a performance level unmatched by their peers. No wonder they're the darling of BITOG.

I'm intriqued at @wwillson 's extensive documentation of HPL's cleaning ability. If I ever acquire a project vehicle, tractor, or OPE that is running but sludged I may attempt a short OCI to see what happens. That alone makes it a tool for a circumstance that outshines most other snake oil methods.

They have a great product, but so does Redline, Motul(300v) and Amsoil, Mobil 1, Driven, RLI, and a host of others. Pick what you like and run it hard. In the end, a good quality oil thats correct for the application will work great!

I run Redline 0w40 and 300V 5w40 in my 640hp C63 and 600hp Civic

Wifes 400hp C43 gets Amsoil 0w40 euro.....Why? Its thin and gets up to temp fast, and she never let's her car warm up lol. Mobil 1 0w40 works fine too.

Tundra and Slingshot get whatever 30w I have laying around because it doesn't matter with those vehicles

I have a buddy that tracks his 911 Turbo and uses HPL and it works awesome.
My question to you here is about Driven. Do you consider it to be the equal of or better than HPL ? If so, please provide basis.

As for myself, there is 250k miles of experience with HPL oil. I personally consider them to be the best. Finding such a precisely perfectly fit oil for my circumstances, makes me likewise satisfied.

Life is about choices I don't understand all these threads every other week is it worth it you can gather information and make your own decision goes for anything thing in life.
This.

So many "best" threads. I actually enjoyed it when Tony didn't allow best oil threads.

HPL appears to use a very strong -OH (as in basic) additive that holds the pH/TBN up for a long time. I don't see a problem with this. Seems to not impact Al and other soft metals.

That said, most of their oils follow the Amsoil early model of not getting approvals and certifications. I don't see a problem with this.

What I have a problem with, some people who try to talk others out of Amsoil used to say things like ".........$1.99/qt oil is just as good, especially if you don't go beyond XXXX miles". I'm not seeing this so much with HPL. I think there some real fan bois here is all I am saying.

This.

So many "best" threads. I actually enjoyed it when Tony didn't allow best oil threads.

HPL appears to use a very strong -OH (as in basic) additive that holds the pH/TBN up for a long time. I don't see a problem with this. Seems to not impact Al and other soft metals.

That said, most of their oils follow the Amsoil early model of not getting approvals and certifications
Thanks Pablo. Your input is always wise, fair and reasonable.

Edit: I decided it best to tone it down a little.

Last edited:
My question to you here is about Driven. Do you consider it to be the equal of or better than HPL ? If so, please provide basis.

As for myself, there is 250k miles of experience with HPL oil. I personally consider them to be the best. Finding such a precisely perfectly fit oil for my circumstances, makes me likewise satisfied.
I've been tracking cars since 1993. Driven is equal 100%. Any oil that fits the application will work. HPL makes a awesome product. Does it provide great protection on the track in 105 degree temps, and 265-280 oil temps and keeping proper oil pressure? It sure does. But so does redline and driven and motul race oils. You have the correct viscosity, correct blend(race oil) and a good oil cooler, your not going to see a huge difference with the top end oils. Hell one of my car club members tracks his Z06 with mobil 1 0w40. His oil temps run a little hotter, but he's dumping the oil every track day and he likes walmart lol. Even for a commuter car, if your dumping the oil every 3-5k it really doesn't matter much...

1) Now, this board as any other hobby board tends to devolve into a herd mentality and cultish behavior. Eventually everyone parrots others without knowing why. AutoRX, MMO, oil catch cans in modern cars anyone?

Now that being said; I highly respect HPL and I will purchase their product once I am financially stable. But my question boils down to basically: "what makes them different from other boutique oils like Amsoil, Redline, Motul, Royal Puke or Bobs backyard moonshine blend?" And "how will they improve my vehicle performance/longevity over major brand synthetics like M1, Penzoil Ultra?"
1) It happens
2) Do you REALLY need it though? Will you be doing extended drains? Plenty/more folks running you name it oil, and car will be long gone before motor oil choice makes a difference. But extended drain may be changing oil once a year, for example and you want something a bit better than supermarket oil.

Back