What would you pay for this car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question is if this car is worth fixing up to be a beater? From your signature you have one or two that classifies as a good beater already.

From looking at the comps. https://www.carsforsale.com/2003-infiniti-g35-for-sale-C140241 on a good day you could probably get $5500 or so if you fixed everything.

If i had the same car locally i would offer $500. Do the minimum work to have it start, run and stop and go..then list it for $2000.

If you are honestly looking for a good beater they are out there and well maintained.

If its been hot plan on doing the head gaskets too. Are you prepared for that? Scrap is down right now and the yards will only give you about $120 for the car so thats where I put its value.

My opinion - since you listed Mevotech as replacement parts you're not planning on keeping this vehicle for yourself. Your best offer should be no more than $500, and that's assuming that it's been a CA car its whole life.

If that car was here in WI, it would likely already be swiss cheese at 13 years old so my offer would be to take it at no charge and have the seller pay for my updated tetanus shot.

A lot of what you put on that list people are driving around with and don't even know it. So if you can get a $500 car in California which I'm not sure you can because everything cost more I would say under 1k is a deal just because the body is good. I say go for it. Fix it up

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
What sort of project are we talking about here? What is the hope for the end product, a track car?

+1. We would need to know what you plan on doing with the car after it's fixed. "Project cars" almost by definition mean "dumping more money into it than it's worth because:
fixing it up is a hobby
car has sentimental value
restoring a classic
(some other reason)"

And there's nothing wrong with that. But if that's not your intention and you're trying to flip the car for a profit or something else, then that changes what you should pay for it.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I would not touch it with a 10ft pole

Maybe even a 20 ft pole. There are far better values out there with 141K miles that are not as terribly abused as this one. Better to buy a better base car than to pay anything more than part out/junk yard money for this one.

I might take it if it were free, but I'd still worry I'd lose money on the deal if I tried to fix it up. That stuck thermostat scares me- who knows how badly it was overheated and how many times before they parked it? Why didn't they bother with such a cheap fix?

Agree with most here....most of the outside stuff can be fixed...

now on the inside? Way too many unknowns..Sounds like less than 500/ send to the scrap yard...

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
A lot of what you put on that list people are driving around with and don't even know it.

So true....most 13 year old cars in the northeast need the same amount of suspension work due to our [censored] roads....all the same I wouldn't touch it for over a grand...

I would not buy this car.

If I were looking to flip and resell, I think I would be losing money,
If I were to use as a beater car, $500-1000. I'd expect to put more money into it than buying an equivalent "fair condition".

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
A lot of what you put on that list people are driving around with and don't even know it.

So true....most 13 year old cars in the northeast need the same amount of suspension work due to our [censored] roads....all the same I wouldn't touch it for over a grand...

I think much of that list is small stuff, good portion could easily be ignored. 'cept for the center stack missing. No heat/ac/radio until fixed? Ick. Sounds like a parts car which has most of its parts already worn out. Maybe if you could find a wrecked parts car, and could get both for a song; but in the end, as indicated by the KBB price, I have to think you'll never come ahead. For something to play with and try to break even on... I dunno. I don't think it'll end well if you spend any amount of money on it.

I'd skip.

Me too. The other things are workable, but the airbag faults would worry me quite a bit. I'd keep shopping.

If you go the beater route, I would not get an Infiniti of any kind. Or any luxury marque for that matter. The more mechanically simple, the better. When I think beater, I dont think of power windows with $200+ motors to burn out. I think crank windows. Nothing with climate control fits the bill for a beater. More like cable or vacuum operated heater blend doors. Less parts, less problems. This is why you see high end cars go for cheap after a decade. They are just not feasible to keep on the road when worn out luxury stuff costs more than an engine or transmission. If you insist on a luxury beater, Lexus RX's are some of the most reliable cars on the road today. As to the Infiniti, I'm not a fan of the VQ engines. They can be troublesome depending on the year.

As a fan of G cars, I would have a hard time with that one. The first year cars were quirky, combined with the trashed interior and airbag light, i would be very afraid. Maybe the thermostat sticking is due to sitting, but either way it sounds like a future nightmare.

You can buy one in excellent condition for not much money.

I believe in CA if the previous owner didn't keep up on the registration you'll have to pay all the back years before you can register it, so that would be an additional expense.

I think I'd pay $500 if I was willing to lose that money and just have fun with it as a beater. I wouldn't invest in fixing it properly, it sounds too far gone and even fixed up isn't worth much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back