What would a reasonable price for a 1991 Town Car?

I see these bring some decent coin on the car sales websites. Whether they actually sell at that is a whole other game.

The one in question:
1991, 4.6L V8, AOD, 3.27:1 Axle Ratio.
-Signature Series
-87K Miles

The Bad:
-It is a purple-ish silver metallic that the clear coat has failed, no rust thru yet. Needs a repaint, no way to salvage this paint.
-Sunroof seal is dried out and needs replaced.
-Windshield rubber trim surround has shrunk and looks terrible.
-Needs shocks, rotors, and brakes.
-Has airbag light (should be the front sensor failed).

The Good:
-Underside was from maryland and has no rot, sheet metal and frame is excellent.
-All black leather interior with no defects. Leather and thread seams are all good.
-It would appear all power functions operate with excepetion to the power antenna. It sounds stripped out.
-Drives super quiet and super smooth.

Wow '91 is really early for a mod motor, must be 1st or 2nd year.

As to what it's worth, I would not give more than a few thousand, but maybe there's people out there that actually seek these out.

Wow '91 is really early for a mod motor, must be 1st or 2nd year.

As to what it's worth, I would not give more than a few thousand, but maybe there's people out there that actually seek these out.
1990 Town Car was new body style with 5.0.

1991 was first year for the 4.6.

It’s a ‘91. It’s 32 years old. It’s either done being financially valuable, or about to start increasing as a cult or antique. It’s worth nothing to insurance and a door ding will total it out. Financially, it’s a 2500$ disposable vehicle. If it’s to be TLC’d, figure out the insurance.

When I was in the car finance business in charge of assigning and coordinating repo's in the mid-late '90's, any Town Car of the late 80's/early 90's era that came up for repo usually got ignored, unless it was a new loan with a high balance. Or if we could send a scout out to scope out the car and see if it looked like it was in decent condition. Because so many of them had blown out rear air suspensions and fixing that, while not horribly expensive, wasnt free and just added time and expense getting it ready for auction. In addition to whatever other problems they had, which usually was...significant. I dealt with so many of these it still gives me nightmares 25+ years later. Those rear airbags, ugh. Somebody get me a beer....I know this era of big Fords are the darlings of older guys on car forums, and I dont for the life of me understand what the attraction is, but whatever. On the other hand, my co-worker has her elderly dad's 40 year old semi-running Rx7 parked in her garage that I've been jonesing her heavily for several years now, so maybe I'm not the best to judge.

Without seeing or driving it, pre-plague I'd say this might be a $1000 car. In today's market, who freaking knows, it wouldnt surprise me to see something like this go for three or four grand.

Don't let the suspension worry you too much. Normal "cop" suspension should be able to be dropped right in if the airbags quit working, which is what I'm guessing most people do with those things. I don't think I'd be too worried about parts availability, they made tons of these things (mostly in Crown Vic form).

Just try not to get all googly eyed over the 86,000 miles. Age can take a toll on stuff just as much (if not more) than miles. It's an old worn out vehicle that will need fairly constant love to keep it on the road. If you don't mind the hobby and are good with wrenching on stuff this could turn out to be a great vehicle, but you should know what you're getting yourself into.

In my area (Central Texas), I’d say $1000-1,500. If the a/c works very well, it could touch $2000. Any blue smoke? Some of the early modular engines were oil burners. I replaced the rear air suspension in my 2000 Town Car and it wasn’t that bad of a job.

Back