Inexpensive used car

You can occasionally catch a good bargain on a Scion because people don’t realize they are a Toyota product. There’s a guy on Facebook Marketplace across the river from me in Ohio that has a dinged up 2009 xB with 140k miles for $3000. I’m having to restrain myself from buying it just for spare parts for my other two,

I'd suggest a Volvo with the inline 6 (the 5's are ok, but not quite as stout as the NA 6's).
These days, they can be purchased substantially cheaper than a Toyota/Honda/VW etc.

As long as it's been maintained, it'll last several years and offer near-luxury level of comfort (seats, suspension etc.).
^This. I sold my 2010 Volvo XC70 with over 270k miles, and it still didn't consume or leak any oil. Light sweating, but no leaks or measurable oil loss in 5k OCIs. Engine is connected to Japanese AISIN 6-speed automatic. Great car. Ours was Haldex AWD and got up to 31MPG highway. I heard from another Volvo owner with S80 (same 3.2L, but FWD), that he got up to 33-34MPG highway. Very comfy seats, and pleasant ride. We took the XC70 on many trips along the East coast, never left us stranded.

Another great option is a Toyota Avalon. We had a 2010. Lots of space, more power than Volvo, and 31-32MPG on Highway was standard while fully loaded. One member here achieved 35MPG on Avalon's twin - Lexus ES350. Transmission fluid drain&fill is more important here though, than even on the Volvo from above... Applies to Avalon, ES350, and V6 Camry. Lack of ATF drain & fills killed quite a few of these units early.

These 3rd generation Camrys represent the pinnacle of Toyota's reputation on quality and durability. The 4 cyl. has a timing belt but is a non-interference engine. Easy oil changes and parts are cheap and plentiful in the Pick and Pull salvage yards. Just check them out for New England rust issues. Another positive for a novice driver is that it has great greenhouse visibility in all directions and based upon @supton's recent experience, it is quite crashworthy.

1998 Toyota Camry

Last edited:
The only down side of the Volvo inline sixes is city fuel mileage. Don't expect better than 18 mpg and more like 15-16 mpg. Only issue with the Volvo's, is you can't ignore the rubber timing belt service, it's an interference engine. Otherwise those engines will easily pass a quarter million miles. I have a 2.9 I6 in my 97 960 and have never had an issue and it always starts and runs like a champ. Only advice on the Volvo is stay away from 2012 and later models almost all are having oil burning issues. Also stay away from all XC90's and the early 1999-2003 S80's due to quality issues. If you can wait a few months the prices are starting drop on used cars and by July or August you should be able get a better deal.

but no newer, unless it's manual.... the troublesome Powershift DCT started MY 2012 (in the US anyway)

I thought the power shift DCTs was the most reliable part of the mk3 Focus lol. Just kidding.

That being said, I would definitely look at buying a vehicle that had side airbags if it were for my kid. People seem to drive worse as each year goes by and having side airbags just is an added peace of mind.

Edit: another option the OP can look at are the 1998-2000 S70/V70/C70. The 2.4 LPT were slow and reliable, but the 2.3 HPTs were fun cars and reliable as long as the PCV system was well maintained. Had a ‘98 C70 that went 325k miles before I sold, burning about a quart every 1000 miles. Original drivetrain and it would snap off shifts at redline without hesitation. However, parts are a tad more expensive compared to the 08-11 Focus and junkyards around here don’t seem to have them that often to pick parts off.

Last edited:
My Brother just got a 2020, 23k mi Chevy Bolt, with a New HV Battery, For around $3600. out of Pocket...
now... it was listed for ~$16k. - $4k federal instant rebate (instead of the old Tax credit) = ~$12k, - $10k trade in on his '17 Escape. = ~$2k + taxes/fees came to around $3600. new battery pack has about a thousand miles on it.

Seems like he gave $13,600 for it on paper. 🤔

Can you find decent Avalons for $4k?

Back