What makes Fram Ultra spin-on filters better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
there are no 20 micron to the minus tenth power particles in existence. The particle would have to be within one angstrom of 20 microns in size, in spherical shape, and smoothness. There could be no crystalline structure or any change in temperature. All the test dust in the world doesn't contain even one such exactly 20 micron particle.

I hope Jay Buckley got as big of a chuckle out of that as I did!

If you been here long enought you know . If something so great . Give it few years . It’s will be the worse . And new oil filter will be the “ next best choice oil filter “ . Just like gold pure one . I remember it was the holy grail here .
Fram ultra is only fram I would run . The rest fram line is garbage . Not until they run metal end cap like the ultra . But that just me . Mabe I try the boss or wix xp next . Just to make me feel better , I bet my engine wouldn’t know the any different . Going for the best is just for each and and every one of us to FEEL better . Engine don’t care.

Maybe it's not better. Sounds good on paper. Which it isn't made of. For me, I have the opinion some wood fibers, cells, in the mix gives finer filtering than only man made slick non absorbent fibers.

Better? Maybe on paper. It’s the only FRAM oil filter I would use. There will be defects in any mass produced item, FRAM ULTRAs included. I happened to be in O’Reilly Auto Parts this morning. I needed some wiper fluid and while I was in there, I decided to check out some 51348 WIX oil filters. The ones I looked at were older stock Affinia made. I found a 51348XP with the ADBV installed off center. I recommend opening the box and inspecting any brand filter you buy. I wished I would have had my phone to take a picture.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Mabe I try the boss or wix xp next . Just to make me feel better , I bet my engine wouldn’t know the any different.

Nothing wrong with non-metal end caps if they are done right and don't cause any problems. Fram EG and TG cut & posts over the last year or two look pretty good IMO.

I wouldn't run the Boss or XP due to the lower efficiency, but that's just me. Even the EG has a much better efficiency rating than the Boss or XP.

So yeah, the Ultra with metal end caps and high efficiency and holding capacity make it hard to beat.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Mabe I try the boss or wix xp next . Just to make me feel better , I bet my engine wouldn’t know the any different.

Nothing wrong with non-metal end caps if they are done right and don't cause any problems. Fram EG and TG cut & posts over the last year or two look pretty good IMO.

I wouldn't run the Boss or XP due to the lower efficiency, but that's just me. Even the EG has a much better efficiency rating than the Boss or XP.

So yeah, the Ultra with metal end caps and high efficiency and holding capacity make it hard to beat.

I hope the Tough Guards are good as I just recently purchased 4. 2 for my wife's 3.6 Impala and 2 for my 5.7 hemi Ram.

Originally Posted By: irv

I hope the Tough Guards are good as I just recently purchased 4. 2 for my wife's 3.6 Impala and 2 for my 5.7 hemi Ram.

Sleep easy. Tough Guard is a good filter.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Originally Posted By: irv

Sleep easy. Tough Guard is a good filter.

That's what I gathered by the info I read here and Fram's site.
cheers3.gif

I was under the impression, late last year, that the Ultra was the filter for my wife's 3.6 as I simply thought it was the best on the market at filtering and all that. Turns out, through replies, it is overkill for the mileage my wife and I put on our vehicles annually (10,000 max kms +/- a bit ) so the Tough Guard was recommended.
http://www.fram.com/products/consumer-products/oil-filters/fram-tough-guardsup-sup-oil-filter/

It sure sounds like a great filter and I am sure it will be more than enough to meet our needs.

Thanks.
cheers3.gif

You are right Zee0six. In fact the Fram orange cans have looked quite good for over the past 3 yrs going on 4 yrs. The 7317s have looked very good in fact and they which correlate with the 14610 Purolator problem child filters. Hard to beat a Fram orange 7317 with a silicone ADBV now at $3.77 a pop.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
I keep reading that Fram Ultras are the bees knees.
Which attribute(s) make the Fram Ultra spin-on filter better than its competitors?

Let me pile on. FRAM Ultra has great efficiency (99%@20 microns). Huge capacity (new box released in March will show 20k change intervals). Silicone adbv, the only dual layer synthetic media filter in the market, all other brands with syn media are single layer. Pleated wire backed media, not plastic like others. Sure grip for easy install and removal. Can get them delivered through Amazon to your door. And, they are 9-10 bucks at retail while many filters without the same performance are priced much higher. There is no better filter than Ultra and that is a fact.

I’m sold - my 17 Ram will get the Fram Ultra.

... So yeah, the Ultra with metal end caps and high efficiency and holding capacity make it hard to beat.
The Ultra cartridges have plastic end caps, as do the Extra Guard and Tough Guard cartridges. I wonder whether the media is the same as in Fram spin-ons, especially considering all the Tough Guard and some of the Extra Guard cartridges I've seen are made in China.

Price, build quality, availability, good filtering, wire backed media, made in USA, no slip grip, center tube full of lots of holes instead of tiny louvers, dual layer synthetic media, nifty gold colored can. The list can go on! Lol, those are my biggest praises about it, though.

I am currently running my first one in the Tacoma so will have a more informed opinion once I get to cut it open. Also have one on my Kubota diesel tractor, that will probably be on there for another year and a half and I am looking forward to the day I can cut that one open and see how it held up all that time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back