23 Nissan Frontier oil filter recommendations

I have been off bitog for a while and now see the Fram Ultra’s don’t seem to have the same quality they once had. Reading through the threads, there doesn’t seem to be a consensus quality oil filter. Should I just use the factory Mahle oil filter for my 23 Frontier or is there better options?

OEM is grupo gonher or whoever. Not that Mahle is much better. I don’t like either.

Last edited:
I have been off bitog for a while and now see the Fram Ultra’s don’t seem to have the same quality they once had. Reading through the threads, there doesn’t seem to be a consensus quality oil filter. Should I just use the factory Mahle oil filter for my 23 Frontier or is there better options?
There are better, Fram Tough Guard TG7317. 15K mile life, 99% efficiency @20 microns and a silicone anti drain back valve. $7.17 at your local Walmart, a best value. :)
The Mahle cross reference is an OC1177 and is $19.49 at my local NAPA without any published performance specs. :rolleyes:

I've included my database below for comparative shopping:

Last edited:
Mahle is a premium brand, and if Nissan uses it, just get it.

Forget using the Mexican made Gonher Nissan OEM. It has a manufacturing defect that allows the adbv to slide down the element outlet tube.*

What I've seen of Mahle made OEM made in Japan looks ok, but nothing special imo.

Three aftermarkets I would suggest.
If you don't mind paying ~$13 Fram Endurance a good call off WM shelf.
I've had good success with Pure One PL14610 clone, US made Bosch Premium 3323. The latter now made in Mexico and anecdotes show it to be junk. But PL14610 worth a look imo.
Last but not least, if you have an Advance Auto nearby, the Carquest Premium Blue 87356 looks to be a nice Premium Guard made filter and can be had for ~$6.60 with always available 15% off online code.

Those are my suggestions from high to low price.

Last edited:
Forget using the Mexican made Gonher Nissan OEM. It has a manufacturing defect that allows the adbv to slide down the element outlet tube.*

What I've seen of Mahle made OEM made in Japan looks ok, but nothing special imo.

Three aftermarkets I would suggest.
If you don't mind paying ~$13 Fram Endurance a good call off WM shelf.
I've had good success with Pure One PL14610 clone, US made Bosch Premium 3323. The latter now made in Mexico and anecdotes show it to be junk. But PL14610 worth a look imo.
Last but not least, if you have an Advance Auto nearby, the Carquest Premium Blue 87356 looks to be a nice Premium Guard made filter and can be had for ~$6.60 with always available 15% off online code.

Those are my suggestions from high to low price.
Thank you! This is great information!

Back