What is your current favorite oil filter to use?

I have used many AC Delco filters, cut them open after OC, and have never found an issue with construction. Same for K&N. Those two are my favorite.

I just went to the Purolator BOSS for my 12 Kia Optima. Will change to the BOSS on my 23 RAV4 at the next oil change. I have confidence in their filters. Very well made. Decided that the Toyota filter isn't sufficient enough filtration for me.
The Boss isn't much if any more efficient than the Toyota filters are.

My "favorite" varies by engine and availability. I use a Wix in my Tundra and a Royal Purple in my 4Runner.

AC Delco for my Chevy, Fram Ultra for my Nissan, Pentius for everything else because I bought cases of them from Amazon.

The BOSS does better in filtering than what people are stating. Watch the BR video. it's enough for me to see.
Some of BR's "efficiency" ranking is out of correlation with the ISO 4548 test results ranking of the filters tested. I'll trust an official ISO 4548 test spec ranking between filters before any home-made gadage test results. Some of BR's results do seem to correlate to some degree, but there are out-flyers too. Their dP vs flow info is more believable for comparison and ranking.

Last edited:
With 2 Camrys with the cartridge, I buy a 10 pack from Conicelli Auto parts. I buy store brand 0W20 or what is on sale and change it out at whenever the change light comes on. I could probably stretch OCI , but between low tension rings, a hydraulic chain tensioner, non-boutique oil and the fact the oil is too thin to begin with. With heating oil around 3.50 a gallon, the underused oil goes in the tank. :cool:

Does price play a part in your decision?
Price is the #1 factor for me but I am always within the premium filter lines. I buy Fram Ultra or M1 filters for the Tacoma, whichever is cheaper at the time. The Impala I have little choice, it is the old style original canister / cartridge filter that was phased out ~54 years ago, so far I have only used Wix but would be open to the Fram version, whichever is cheaper at the time of purchase. These old canister filters are never on sale.

the toyota has likely better filtration efficiency. the boss line is mostly 99% @ >46um. check out the post today about the new wire backed supertec filter.
If you look at each filter media under a microscope you'll see that the BOSS has much better filtering material than the Toyota. And you can go to BR and see the particle count for each.

Some of BR's "efficiency" ranking is out of correlation with the ISO 4548 test results ranking of the filters tested. I'll trust an official ISO 4548 test spec ranking between filters before any home-made gadage test results. Some of BR's results do seem to correlate to some degree, but there are out-flyers too. Their dP vs flow info is more believable for comparison and ranking.
Purolator states 20 micron filtering for 10k miles

Back