Oil Filter Going 2 OCI Thoughts

What filter holds a quart?
Isn't OP driving an F150 V8? My last Ford truck filter held close to a quart,

121Oil filter.jpg

View attachment 186395

Yes, F150 V8, but not the one in that picture. That could be a 5.4. Side note: I would kill for my filter to be in that placement, LOL.
FL-500S is the OE filter recommended for my 5.0 Do not know the capacity of it as I have never used one.
I did just put a FE10575 on my wife’s Acadia last weekend and pre-filling it (since it hangs like the Ford above) took just shy of a 1/2 qt after waiting for the media to soak up what was poured in multiple times.
I wouldn’t think that 1/2 inside the filter would have much affect on the next fresh 7.7 qts coming in.

So you are going to the trouble of changing the oil but will leave nearly a quart of the old dirty oil to mix with the new oil? I'd say, why bother even changing the oil then. The gasket on the filter is rubber, it's not a head gasket. If it can't be tightened a second time, it's a garbage filter to begin with and should just be changed now.

Find us one oil filer manufacture that claims it's acceptable to remove and reinstall an oil filter. None will put their name on that, at least not in writing.

The reality is that it's an unnecessary risk. Once the filter is installed and properly sealed - leave it until it's to be replaced.

Find us one oil filer manufacture that claims it's acceptable to remove and reinstall an oil filter. None will put their name on that, at least not in writing.
Well sure, they want you to buy a new filter and not reuse the old one.

The reality is that it's an unnecessary risk. Once the filter is installed and properly sealed - leave it until it's to be replaced.
You can do as you please, but if the gasket can't take being tightened a second time, its either already leaking, or it's a poor quality filter.

I see it as a matter of risk and liability for the company. As the rubber experiences heating and cooling cycles, coupled with the seal being broken, it's a gamble to reinstall and hope it seals again. I agree it's unlikely to be a problem, but it's just not worth the risk. I don't think we need to resort to theories as an explanation. Have you seen the 15K, 20K oil filter change intervals advertised by some of these companies? That would be counterproductive to your claim that they are somehow trying to get over on us.

Last edited:
I have had, to my knowledge, 3 cars with owners manuals recommending an FCI every other OCI.

Porsche: OCI 15k, FCI 30k
Honda: A code is oil only, B code is every other and is oil and filter.
Isuzu: OCI 7,5k, FCI 15k

I'm sure that there are other examples of manufacturers recommend a filter for every other oil change.

Remember, a filter can't make your oil dirty. They filter the dirt out.

What seal being broken? By that argument, it would be leaking before it's even removed.

By seal, I mean the bond created between the engine and oil filter gasket. In other words, what keeps oil from rushing out.

With the filter removed, this seal is broken and must be reestablished once reinstalled.

Yes, F150 V8, but not the one in that picture. That could be a 5.4. Side note: I would kill for my filter to be in that placement, LOL.
FL-500S is the OE filter recommended for my 5.0 Do not know the capacity of it as I have never used one.
I did just put a FE10575 on my wife’s Acadia last weekend and pre-filling it (since it hangs like the Ford above) took just shy of a 1/2 qt after waiting for the media to soak up what was poured in multiple times.
I wouldn’t think that 1/2 inside the filter would have much affect on the next fresh 7.7 qts coming in.
Is this the correct filter for your truck? We use these on expeditions and F-150’s at my work.

Attachments

• IMG_7844.jpeg
    IMG_7844.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 5
By seal, I mean the bond created between the engine and oil filter gasket. In other words, what keeps oil from rushing out.

With the filter removed, this seal is broken and must be reestablished once reinstalled.
But that seal is reestablished once the filter is screwed back on. It is a rubber gasket after all. If you're suggesting the gasket has turned hard and has cracks in it causing leaks, that's a different scenario. They may get hard and brittle after years on the car, not months between oil changes.

Been doing exactly as the OP says for about 30,000 miles on my 2016 F150 with a 5.0. I use an XG10575 every other oil change and 5 or 10W30 conventional at 5000 mi. intervals. Never needs any make up oil.

Lot of highway miles towing fairly light boats.

View attachment 186395

The FL820S doesn't hold a quart of oil, lol. Oil filters are not totally hollow. The guts of an oil filter takes up quite a bit of volume.

But that seal is reestablished once the filter is screwed back on. It is a rubber gasket after all. If you're suggesting the gasket has turned hard and has cracks in it causing leaks, that's a different scenario. They may get hard and brittle after years on the car, not months between oil changes.
Compare the base gasket on a used filter to the same filter that's never been used. The base gasket compresses and remains compressed on the used filter, so if you remove it and reinstall it, the gasket doesn't have much spring action left in it. If someone is going to run a filter for more than one OCI, don't remove it, drain it and then reinstall it. Don't disturb the gasket is the best practice. Why go through all that trouble and risk to drain 6 or 8 ounces of oil from the filter?

Back