AMSOIL EaO oil filters no longer using Donaldson Synteq media

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
I know @ZeeOSix and I, as well as @Pablo have previously discussed the use of the Donaldson Synteq media in the EaO oil filters. This was previously well known and understood to be the case, regardless of who manufactured the can and it was mentioned in some AMSOIL media from time to time, still appearing, presently, on some dealer's sites.

Since the disappearance of that, and the fact that we'd considered sending an EaO to @Ascent Filtration Testing for testing to compare to the Royal Purple, I thought it prudent to reach out to AMSOIL customer service and confirm that it was indeed still the Donaldson Synteq media being employed. Unfortunately, that no longer appears to be the case:

AMSOIL said:
Thank you for the question. I can confirm that our filters are using a newer synthetic media and no longer the Donaldson media. However, the exact media we are using is proprietary and we no longer discuss it other than letting people know that it is a synthetic media.

This is unfortunate, as for me, having one of the best synthetic medias on the market in these filters was a selling point and justification for the higher cost the filter commanded over filters like the RP (which has lower advertised efficiency) and the updated FRAM offerings.

That's not to say the filter isn't still excellent, it has a 99% @ 20 microns efficiency claim, but so does the FRAM Ultra, Titanium and now the FRAM Endurance, which may have the same media for significantly lower cost (speculating of course).

The mix-up in the filter space is definitely causing some ripples.

"Proprietary" probably just employing standard oil filter technology & if you're getting similar performance out of an Ultra why pay the price penalty. I think we can vote with our dollar to the companies that are more transparent. Although I would love to see the Fram Endurance thrown into the testing mix just for another aspect comparison.

FRAM Endurance FE2 for example is the same thing as AMSOIL EaO11.

The price difference is like $5. It's all about branding, as Champion Labs will not make a different filter for each manufacturer. They will paint the cans differently, but that's where it ends.

FRAM even claims that this will go 25K miles between changes, just like AMSOIL. :ROFLMAO:

a6e164b6-e603-4005-9343-1bb96b30eb26.0bca462650fe4e6390961e2d8cda8a98.png

f222f852-663a-4d1b-a607-e223300706ca.c79ad762dae5e106d932cfcff844d079.jpeg

0e18c1cf-81dc-4fd3-ada1-ad2d0d15f152.a6ca168ff8de73dde681f756a347904d.png

And the Royal Purple. Except Fram has slightly higher ISO 4548-12 efficiency numbrs on the Endurance.
Royal Purple 20-820 would be the same thing, except it's painted purple and has a purple drain back valve... There is no difference between them, so just pick one based on fashion/color you might like. ;)

Does Donaldson make some filters that cross reference over to automotive applications? If so, where would be the place to purchase them?

"Proprietary" probably just employing standard oil filter technology... I think we can vote with our dollar to the companies that are more transparent.
Maybe, probably - but what companies are more transparent? Amsoil answered Overkill's question.

I'm not depending on my oil filter to do some kind of magic like some people do. I use a good filter and that may or may not be an Amsoil labelled filter.

At least on the EaO17 the louvers appear to have changed between June and October last year. I have a dozen June filters with a narrow, rounded shape, and a single October that has a wider, flat profile. Can't see the media other than a flash of wire from certain light positions.

June

IMG_1555.jpegIMG_1556.jpegIMG_1561.jpegIMG_1565.jpeg

October

IMG_1557.jpegIMG_1558.jpegIMG_1563.jpegIMG_1564.jpeg

As does AMSOIL. @Rod Knock and I were debating this earlier. The RP looks the same but has lower claimed efficiency.
I question if extended use filters are even worth it anymore and I do note that it's usually about performance and better filtration.
I looked on Amazon and RP was $25 for the model # I would require. That's pretty expensive. Probably just stay with Fram...

FRAM Endurance FE2 for example is the same thing as AMSOIL EaO11.

The price difference is like $5. It's all about branding, as Champion Labs will not make a different filter for each manufacturer. They will paint the cans differently, but that's where it ends.

FRAM even claims that this will go 25K miles between changes, just like AMSOIL. :ROFLMAO:

a6e164b6-e603-4005-9343-1bb96b30eb26.0bca462650fe4e6390961e2d8cda8a98.png

f222f852-663a-4d1b-a607-e223300706ca.c79ad762dae5e106d932cfcff844d079.jpeg

0e18c1cf-81dc-4fd3-ada1-ad2d0d15f152.a6ca168ff8de73dde681f756a347904d.png
^^^ Will have to get one - like to see that core later on too ^^^

I question if extended use filters are even worth it anymore and I do note that it's usually about performance and better filtration.
I looked on Amazon and RP was $25 for the model # I would require. That's pretty expensive. Probably just stay with Fram...
Yeah, I don't buy them for extended use but rather the high efficiency and high flow (with the synthetic media). The OG Ultra is unmatched in that department based on the Ascent testing.

I still have a sizable number of OG Ultras (& a few wire backed Titaniums) for long synthetic OCI(s) on clean engines, but, when they're gone, I'll just start using Extra Guards, Super Tech, Prime Guard, and sub $2 RA Champs and change the filter/top off at 5K. $25 will buy a LOT of cheap filters, as long as they can hold together!

The strange thing is that you have to look at fram's website to be able to see the ISO rating because it's not on the box. Wonder why they skipped that step? Even then it's a little bit vague.

Royal Purple 20-820 would be the same thing, except it's painted purple and has a purple drain back valve... There is no difference between them, so just pick one based on fashion/color you might like. ;)

I want to be cool and have people wonder what exactly is that amazing purple oil filter attached to my engine and think, "Wow this guy is cool, I want to be just like him!" 💜

On this subject again, I went back in the Web archive and looked, Amsoil claimed 15 microns absolute up until around 2010, Around 2011 they started claiming only 20 microns absolute, then later on 99%+ at 20 microns. So if they used some fancy donaldson media then switched to Champion labs media I would guess the change happened around then.

1684509160171.png

On this subject again, I went back in the Web archive and looked, Amsoil claimed 15 microns absolute up until around 2010, Around 2011 they started claiming only 20 microns absolute, then later on 99%+ at 20 microns. So if they used some fancy donaldson media then switched to Champion labs media I would guess the change happened around then.

View attachment 156800
We could probably ask, it (Donaldson) did seem to slowly slip out of the picture, I suspect the writing was on the wall when they EaA filters (which used Donaldson media) were axed.

Back