What is the best oil ingredient to protect against cold start wear?

Actually there are about 3 different groups working together to achieve the end lubrication

The tackifiers that make the liquid cling and ride the additives into the fire

The polar chemicals that cling to the surface asperities and grain

The chemicals that actually bond with the metal as sacrificials

Theres more to this than just a single "miracle' chemical- they all have to work together
What is the least expensive way to make oil cling to metal surfaces absent esters or other relative costly ingredients and still perform to minimal performance criteria as dictated by the automakers requirements?

Although vague, Castrol claims the proprietary additive in Magnatec/Edge doesn't need to be activated by heat, which is not that case for other AW additives, hence it is beneficial during start up even after the engine has sat for an extended period of time.
Vague, a great choice of a word. When it comes to oil for our vehicles, the oil industry is a master at making vague claims!

Does anyone know a chemical that will cause the oil to "cling" to the metal surfaces if ester is absent from the base oils?

It would have been best to ask this question in a separate thread.

You're confusing 'cling" with polar attraction. Stickiness or cling is the ability of a substance to mechanically adhere to other substances. Polar attraction is a "charge" (coulombic) effect.

Many of the oil additives are in ester form, such as ZDDP, the Boron compounds, dispersants , etc. so one does not necessarily need an ester base oil to make the total formulation more "polar."

Surfactants are "surface-active-agents," and may include chemicals to help spreading, clinging, etc. In ATF's we usually use a 'spreading' surfactant for wet clutch applications.

Olefin copolymers or OCP's are Viscosity Index Improver's in most engine oils and are 'clingy' themselves.

OCP's come in various ratios of polypropylene to polyethylene and are sometimes combined with PolyIsobutylenes (PIBS). A Tackifier, as is used in bar/chain oils, simply contain a different ratio of polypropylene and polyethylene combined with PolyIsobutylenes (PIB's).

Last edited:
Nothing to do with your question but 12 volts in the form of an automatic pre oiler will significantly reduce the startup wear.

Or you could just disconnect the coil,crank the engine over til oil pressure builds.Reconnect coil,start engine 😉

Nothing to do with your question but 12 volts in the form of an automatic pre oiler will significantly reduce the startup wear.
I have one in my van. I installed it when it was new. I flip a switch, and watch the oil pressure build, when it is up in the normal range I start the engine. No flooring the gas and cranking, or disconnecting coils, or anything of the sort.

I think I was too vague and perhaps just asked a bad question.

How about: what oil ingredients (or characteristics like kschachn elluded to) are most beneficial in decreasing startup wear? A good example would be the theory behind Castrol's Magnatec, clinging to parts and offering startup protection. This would be a characteristic, but one might ask what ingredient is responsible for it? Then somebody would say polar molecules aren't really intelligent... 😁

More anti-wear additives that build up a good protective layer on parts (known as "film strength") would help mitigate start-up wear when the parts are just starting to move against each other before mixed or hydrodynamic lubrication is fully established.

Last edited:

You're confusing 'cling" with polar attraction. Stickiness or cling is the ability of a substance to mechanically adhere to other substances. Polar attraction is a "charge" (coulombic) effect.

Many of the oil additives are in ester form, such as ZDDP, the Boron compounds, dispersants , etc. so one does not necessarily need an ester base oil to make the total formulation more "polar."

Surfactants are "surface-active-agents," and may include chemicals to help spreading, clinging, etc. In ATF's we usually use a 'spreading' surfactant for wet clutch applications.

Olefin copolymers or OCP's are Viscosity Index Improver's in most engine oils and are 'clingy' themselves.

OCP's come in various ratios of polypropylene to polyethylene and are sometimes combined with PolyIsobutylenes (PIBS). A Tackifier, as is used in bar/chain oils, simply contain a different ratio of polypropylene and polyethylene combined with PolyIsobutylenes (PIB's).
Thank you for posting this. It is an excellent description and deserves its own thread.

I actually wasn't confused. I am just trying to parse hyperbole from facts when it comes to advertising claims.
I use Red Line in some of my rigs so the ester's and boron are covered. I also like the boron because it absorbs neutrons and doesn't allow my power plant to go critical.:)

Last edited:
Let's look at this in stages.

The oil wedge between the bearing and journal will not be present in the first few milli-seconds of startup, so no MOFT, therefore what you need is an anti-wear compound that resists startup wear until the pressure has developed in the oil wedge, which is a transition from Boundary Lubrication to Hydrodynamic Lubrication.

Crystals of various hexagonal Boron nitrides (h-BN), or Titatanium oxides (TiO2), or Tungsten Nitrates/Nitrides suspended in an ester tend to make good cold start anti-wear compounds.

The same goes for cam surfaces; the above compounds act as 'cool-temp' anti-wear agents until things heat up.

Redline Oil or Archoil 9100??

I think I was too vague and perhaps just asked a bad question.

How about: what oil ingredients (or characteristics like kschachn elluded to) are most beneficial in decreasing startup wear? A good example would be the theory behind Castrol's Magnatec, clinging to parts and offering startup protection. This would be a characteristic, but one might ask what ingredient is responsible for it? Then somebody would say polar molecules aren't really intelligent... 😁
When I used Magnatec 0w20 it had A LOT of Boron for a Grp3/5 oil. Its the best weight/quality in the Magnatec line with a slightly thicker hths rating too.

What's the definition of a "cold start"?

Cold engine in Las Vegas in July? Or cold engine in Fairbanks in Jan?

what temp is considered or defined as the start of the danger/harsh environment zone?

EB3B22F2-F9F7-4626-A1B2-EC580390EA43.jpeg

Fairbanks gets you covered.
ok, I'm out :censored:

Back