What happened to Arco graphite motor oil?

Well, Elf is certainly a recognized brand.
Never heard of Marly, other than the Jamaican singer/writer/composer.
The question remains, though.
If graphite is a good additive then why aren't XOM and RDS using it in any oil I've ever heard of.

Total purchased Elf and Fina a number of yesrs ago, similar to BP purchasing ARCO & AMOCO a few years earlier.

I have no idea what parts of those compznies Total may have spun off or sold in yhe jnterim, certainly BP has sold much of what they aquired ftom ARCO & AMOCO in the years since their acquisitions.

Thank you for exercising whatever part of my brain retained the memory of ARCO Graphite.

I hadn't thought about it in at least 30 years...lol.

Dad was fond of Havoline 10w40 and Fram filters on our 70 Chevelle station wagon when I was a small child but I remember the commericals for ARCO Graphite. Dad said it could only be used in an engine that you started using it in new.

Of course we now know many of these myths aren't true but it's fun to recall...

I used ArcoGraphite 10W-40 exclusively for roughly 90K miles in my '81 Mazda, circa 1981-85, and had zero problems with it. It did not form sludge---unlike certain other major-brand oils used subsequently in the same car. It must not have accelerated wear, considering the car went much farther with no wear issues in the engine. Whether it actually reduced fuel consumption or reduced wear (which Arco also claimed), I do not know.

It was a fine tool for making leaks easy to spot, but did not cause leaks.

Originally Posted By: CR94
It did not form sludge---unlike certain other major-brand oils used subsequently in the same car

Yes, there are many here that seem to forget that Quaker State was affectionately called Caker State back in the 70s. Pennzoil too, to a lesser degree. We used to joke that if you wanted to render someone's vehicle inoperable, forget the sugar in the gas tank- dump some Caker State in the motor.
grin.gif

WOW! Someone is surfing old threads. Arco Graphite came under law action because it tended to accumulate in certain brands of oil filters causing oil flow restriction.

Cost price, color and stability. Also the filling equipment needs more cleaning. Impossible to store in bulk/drums without stirring.

Like one of the earlier contributors, I had purchased an '82 Plymouth TC3 hatchback, stripped w a 4 speed manual, 1.7L Peugot engine, new for ~$2300 incl tax. Oil was changed at 500 mi, then 3500 mi thereafter. Oil consumption was < 0.5 qt between changes. Once mileage reached 10k mi, for the next 10k mi, overall fuel consumption was a consistent 33 to 34 mpg. A can of Arco Graphite was added at 20k mi and every following oil change, and over the next 35k mi, fuel consumption averaged a consistent 35.5 to 36 mpg. So I would conclude that Arco Graphite improved fuel economy 6 to 7%. (What happened after 55k mi? Mona Lou F@#%er, driving a '71 Chrysler Newport, ran a red light in Lima, broadsided the TC3 and gave the TC3 a 360° spin, so testing stopped there.) Up until the accident, the TC3 required no maintenance other than the oil changes and new tires.

In the early 1990s, the US military was evaluating various lubricants that might reduce friction in firearms. One of its studies discussed suspensions containing a fluoropolymer, (likely Tufoil), and the problem of particle size. Think Stokes law. If too small, the particles stay in suspension but will also pass by piston rings. If too large, the particles will fall out of suspension, plugging filters, possibly increasing sludge. or simply settle out in the bottom of the oil pan. The overall lowest friction/ reduced wear/ highest velocity/ highest accuracy ammunition lubricant the military found was,,,,tricresyl phosphate.

And this thread lives on.

I used it in a 68 VW bus that I rebuilt. Worked good and no leaks. Had to take it apart at about 30k miles for a slight knock. Hone marks were still visible and no ridge. The noise was loose rivets on the cam gear.

It was in a 79 D-50 when I bought it. Had it for several years with PZ oil changes. The oil was always black on the dipstick after an oil change.

Back