Keeping up with the Jones's - perspective

No, that’s incorrect. We had an eight year period in the late 90s until around 2001
Where we worked from budget deficit to budget surplus. I posted a chart on previous page.
The people at that time purposely voted to get back to a balance budget, a person named Ross Perot brought to the attention of the American people the dangerous path we were on. All this information is available online.
It is correct. Just because we had a balanced budget, doesn't mean we didn't borrow more. I also posted a debt chart and it clearly shows a steadily increasing national debt.

D1sc posted actual numbers. No debt reduction during the time you're talking about.

It is correct. Just because we had a balanced budget, doesn't mean we didn't borrow more. I also posted a debt chart and it clearly shows a steadily increasing national debt.

D1sc posted actual numbers. No debt reduction during the time you're talking about.
He talking about staying within the budget for that given yr. I think.

Because I can't pass any one with a 180hp crossover :cry:
Great gas mileage though.
This is kinda related, but since I have 4 vehicles to choose from for driving somewhere, it has opened my eyes at just how much people judge you/envision your status/wealth/etc., based solely on the vehicle you are driving.

I can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that a good many people act differently towards you, whether it's yielding, being more aggressive, flat out ignoring you, looking at you, willing to speak to you, etc., depending on what you're driving.

If I'm driving my Tundra (4x4, not lifted but 'leveled', Ranch Hand Guard on the front, 33" tires), I don't see as much aggression towards me on the highways as I do when I'm driving a smaller SUV/CUV. I have blown people away at how the aggressive parking lot queens act when they see the guard on the front and instantly stop their car / aggressive driving in a PARKING LOT.

If I'm driving the Lexus LX570, I see a different attitude from different people. More of a 'respect of status' attitude. Those with a similar but different make, generally a side eye or throwing their shoulders back, chest out move, say at the gas pump...

If I'm driving the Lexus RX350, basically no respect on the highways, aggression is off the charts, etc.

If I'm driving the 2008 Honda CR-V, it's like I'm invisible. Nobody pays attention...

SAME EXACT THING with boats. We can pull up to a lakeside restaurant or gas dock in our 27 year old Sea Ray bowrider and most people don't even turn their head or pay attention. This is a very, very well-kept boat, it looks great. Gel coat is nice, glossy and nearly perfect, upholstery is in great condition, all original. A few tears/seams splitting, but not visible from 15' away. It's just not a late-model boat.

We pull up in the 2016 Ranger bass boat and it draws a crowd. Folks come up and say "that's a sharp boat, I love the colors."
Nowadays instead of your ford GT getting you (fill in the blank) it will get you carjacked and robbed
IMG_1972.jpeg
IMG_1975.jpeg
IMG_1974.jpeg

I don't really have a problem with being and looking less wealthy than some of my neighbors... It is what it is. We've got some nice property that's near a million bucks to get now, so I can't complain.
My kids though see things differently, they see cash being splashed around on their internet entertainment, or with some of their friends who's families have more in their "fun budget" than we have in our total budget. I make sure they can excel at their sports if they want to put in the work, and my youngest does quite well. Also some car and house repair lessons at least lets them know that its an option not to pay tons of money to service or fix stuff.
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, not entertaining or good looking or creative enough to do a social media gig, don't want to go work in a mine up north somewhere, wasn't smart enough to buy a bunch of rental properties 20 years ago, and I didn't inherit my parents business so making 2-3-400k/yr isn't going to happen for me.
Sounds like you are doing quite well, if you ask me.

Years and years ago I told my dad, with my wife working (she stopped 2013-2019), our income is more than double the median income where we live. Yet materially we have a small house, old cars, and we don't even have regular vacations. Many go to Disney every year and some twice.

He said simple. Those people get help from parents (one would be surprised in this day and age), they have an inheritance, or, they don't save. It's just math. I thought to myself, sometimes my dad is astute in cutting to the chase. He had different people skills (I mean not normal). He went through a laughable phase 35-40 where he was a big shot--my mom said his head was so big he had trouble sometimes entering rooms since the doorways were too small. :ROFLMAO:

My mom gave me the photo albums, he's in a board room 2 seats down from the guy (taken out of context) who said he's in charge when Reagan got shot. If it weren't for the pics I would never have believed my dad was like that hob nobbing with such people...

This thread is about locked but I don't have to worry about keeping up with the Jones in my neighborhood. The multiples Torres and others have similar vehicles to ours, actually ours is older. All of our neighbors have had 3-4 cars in the time we've had any of ours. I just like to have one that doesn't need anything or have a single issue, well technically the new scooter doesn't but that doesn't count. As my wife tells me you do such a good job keeping them going why do we need anything else?

Back