Why not just run a Euro oil?

From what I have been reading Euro oils are better then regular domestic motor oils. If that is true, why not just run Euro oils?

What would be the disadvantage(s) to it?
Depends how you define better. The EP oils like M1, EDGE etc. could easily be on par on even better than some Euro oils in some instances, but there are some characteristics that are different that set them apart. HT/HS for example is often higher on some of the Euro grades (30 grade in particular). But you could certainly do that if you wanted to.

I have been running Euro oils for many years myself. When the green version of German Castrol 0w30 was available I ran that in all of my family's cars. And on the second oil change with my Corvette I started running M1 ESP Formula 5w30 (and now the newer version, just called ESP) I like the higher HTHS of the Euro oils, I think it's a good fit for my Corvette. If for some reason ESP was not made anymore, I would likely switch to Pennzoil Euro L 5w30.

Some pretty deep discussions here. There are many more but these are mostly specific to your post:

Here's some anecdotal evidence based on huge sample sizes:
The average American car which has run its lifetime on dealer bulk / Jiffy Lube / Supertech has a lot more accumulated miles when it goes to the scrap yard than the average European car. But I'm not sure either one goes to the scrap yard because of oil-related engine failure. In any event the US lubes appear to be adequate for the job at hand.

It’s also about Thickie Love. There’s no denying that CAFE has had a large part to driving America to low viscosity oils.

I’m using a Euro 5w40 in a truck engine with 260,000 miles, but I find 5w40 oils are more available in Euro blends.( Ignoring HDEO oils).

Some pretty deep discussions here. There are many more but these are mostly specific to your post:

Thanks. Lots of good reading for me.

My G35 (VQ35) needed an oil change last week but WM didn't have my preferred Castrol Magnatec in stock so I grabbed a bottle of QS 5W-40 "Euro" something. Paid little attention to the specifics.... It's in there now and I kinda like it. It's very quiet.

The average American car which has run its lifetime on dealer bulk / Jiffy Lube / Supertech has a lot more accumulated miles when it goes to the scrap yard than the average European car. But I'm not sure either one goes to the scrap yard because of oil-related engine failure. In any event the US lubes appear to be adequate for the job at hand.
Have you ever seen the average European vehicle in Europe? You might be surprised with mileage and the afterlife. Many of those cars end up in some African scrap yard after 30 years or so.

Some downsides I can think of:
- Not a lot of options for oils with HTHS <3.5 cP, and especially between 2.9 and 3.5 cP
- Most euro standards don't require LSPI tests, though this might be changing
- Often more expensive
- Warranty concerns

- Not a lot of options for oils with HTHS <3.5 cP, and especially between 2.9 and 3.5 cP
- Often more expensive
- Warranty concerns
Catalytic converter concerns for traditional high SAPS Euro oils, is another downside. For an engine that isn't an oil burner though, it's probably fine.

My G35 (VQ35) needed an oil change last week but WM didn't have my preferred Castrol Magnatec in stock so I grabbed a bottle of QS 5W-40 "Euro" something. Paid little attention to the specifics.... It's in there now and I kinda like it. It's very quiet.
VQ’s can pretty hard on oil or so I’ve read. I’ve had good success running euro oils (QS and Mobil euro oils) in my Pathfinder and Xterra with the VQ40.

Catalytic converter concerns for traditional high SAPS Euro oils, is another downside. For an engine that isn't an oil burner though, it's probably fine.
Don't know why that would be a concern. For decades, millions of German vehicles have been using oils greater than or equal to 3.5 HTHS without Cat failures.

I have been making the switch to using M1 Euro FS 0W-40 in all my engines. Not so much because I believe that MB 229.,xx motor oils are better formulated than current API specs, (which I do) but because my engines like it. The lawn mower runs quieter and smoother. And the snow blower also seems to run better than it does on 5W-30. And I'm thinking my wife's Outback, which is one of the oil burners, and goes through 0w-20 super fast, can benefit from a 0W-40. I just used the last of my 0W-20 stash for an oil change in the Outback. Next oil change, it is going to get M1 0W-40 Euro FS.

I don't see a downside to going to a single oil, where possible. And if you are going to do it, then it seems to me that a quality Euro is the best choice. IMHO.

Can you share a link to data to support this claim? It seems counter to what I have been told about European, or at least German, car ownership.

It has been a very long time ago, but my wife and I were having dinner with a fellow company employee from Germany. The conversation included getting a driver's license and car ownership. My German associate shared that a car purchase in Germany is a very long term commitment, and that it is typical for Germans to keep a car for 20 - 30 years, or even longer. They do whatever maintenance is needed to keep a car well maintained, even replacing interior parts as needed.

I have heard other claims to support this, such as a much longer and wider variety of available OEM spare parts for European cars, than what is typically available here.

I don't see that sort of care for cars here in the U.S. We are much more disposable about our cars. So unless the rest of Europe is different from Germany, or German car ownership has evolved, I would think that American cars end up in the scrap yard much sooner than European cars.

Last edited:
in GERMANY synthetic oils MUST be REAL unless things changed + reading usually notes that a thicker oil at running temps protects BETTER

- Often more expensive
- Warranty concerns
1. They do.
2. High ZDDP is more effective in preventing LSPI then lower calcium. Remember, LSPI issues are almost non-existent in Euro engines.

Back