What Exactly Makes An Oil "European Formula"

Offcourse there is certain range of any cars that are bad. Corolla 1998-2002 all are oil burner. V6 Honda with cylinder deactivation, etc. I talked about statistics, not 1 or 2 unicorn cases. European oil grade usually has higher TBN and additives to compensate their majority crappy engines.
You can do simple data mining of used oil analysis for European cars, you will know in few glance how bad their statistics in Fe, Al, Cu wear. It also match with their life span and problems.
From the fact of used car value in USA, you know why no European cars at the top 5.
My point is, use European grade oil for European car to keep it alive long enough. Don't mess around with them. They are fun but need more maintenance and repair
Troll harder please, I don't think I'm done wasting time on you yet.

Many european cars have problems with timing chain wear and oil consumption compared to any Japanese cars. You can see how complicated and 2 or 3 chains in older Golf compared to only 1 in Corolla. It is also wellknown that many Honda engines can take NOS boost without any modification. It shows how excellent, simple, and durable Honda and Toyota engines in the past 50 years. Benz, BMW, and VW used to make durable engines but they put too much stuff these days and make the wear in the engines higher. The engine oil with higher antiwear additives and detergent can only help at certain degrees. But bad design is still bad design.
LOL what?!?

I have done a HELL of a lot more timing chain jobs and piston jobs on Honda/Acura than BMW. Actually, have never had to do pistons on a BMW….ever. Have done so many K24 timing chains I could probably do it blindfolded.

Sorry, you seem to be really misinformed about what actually happens to these cars. Take some advice from someone who actually has worked on these things for a living.

Last edited:
Many european cars have problems with timing chain wear and oil consumption compared to any Japanese cars. You can see how complicated and 2 or 3 chains in older Golf compared to only 1 in Corolla. It is also wellknown that many Honda engines can take NOS boost without any modification. It shows how excellent, simple, and durable Honda and Toyota engines in the past 50 years. Benz, BMW, and VW used to make durable engines but they put too much stuff these days and make the wear in the engines higher. The engine oil with higher antiwear additives and detergent can only help at certain degrees. But bad design is still bad design.
Tell us on which planet do you live?
I iwn 2 Toyota’s and basically my in laws Honda (I take care of it).

Offcourse there is certain range of any cars that are bad. Corolla 1998-2002 all are oil burner. V6 Honda with cylinder deactivation, etc. I talked about statistics, not 1 or 2 unicorn cases. European oil grade usually has higher TBN and additives to compensate their majority crappy engines.
You can do simple data mining of used oil analysis for European cars, you will know in few glance how bad their statistics in Fe, Al, Cu wear. It also match with their life span and problems.
From the fact of used car value in USA, you know why no European cars at the top 5.
My point is, use European grade oil for European car to keep it alive long enough. Don't mess around with them. They are fun but need more maintenance and repair
Really? Why my track driven BMW has less wear than my strictly long trip driven Toyota? On this planet those measurements don’t matter or for anyone who actually understands this, but you go, here is your chance to enlighten crowd.

I have another quote. European cars rarely corroded too.

Because the bottom ends are always covered with oil all the time. The oil always leaks in any possible gaskets they have. We live in the world where european cars has no residual values, unless you live in Europe.

Back to oil, yes European oil is good and generally better than regular Walmart or Tireplus oil.

If anything the Europeans are playing catchup to the American & Japanese who have been at the forefront of low viscosity for two decades now.
well.. we always had smaller (efficient) engines. you always had huge gas guzzlers.:p
then co2 terrorists decided, that we must push emission further down.. nowhere to go... then the "low viscous thing" was on radar.
turbo3cyl 0,9,,,, 1,2L or twinair 2cyl 0,9L
i guess people there would be dishonored to take ride, we consider this as normal.

Last edited:
Oh yeah...... Just like 1.4 TSI combined with hybrid in Golf and GTE. Or cylinder deactivations combined with Turbo in 1.4TSI. Or Volvo with Turbo+supercharge+ hybrid. I have no clue how European car makers do that. They do not even know how to build a car with a good timing chain, timing chain plastic guides, or water pumps. And now, almost all TSI engines have no timing chain, only a timing belt. Good idea, because the car lifespan matches nicely with the life expectancy of the timing belt itself. Even until now, 4th revision of the water pump is 2.0TFSI still leaking every 50k miles.
I think V6 Turbo can replace gas guzzler V8 in Trucks and SUVs. Or hybrid 4 cylinders replace V6 on Minivan or SUV that give us 35MPG in the city. Americans still need large cars/trucks, Turbo and Hybridization are working well in some cars.
0W-16 is the current trend and it works well because of the electric oil pump that controls oil pressure precisely. Using thicker 5w-30 was not beneficial on those newer cars with electric oil pumps and sometimes accelerated engine wear instead. The highest wear in most cars is when it is still cold.
VW 508/509 LL is one of the standards for 0W-20, it seems to work well on VW 3 cyl 1.0 TSI too. It is a long-life oil that can take up to 20k miles/2 years of oil change interval if it is not driven in the city too often.

Oh yeah...... Just like 1.4 TSI combined with hybrid in Golf and GTE. Or cylinder deactivations combined with Turbo in 1.4TSI. Or Volvo with Turbo+supercharge+ hybrid. I have no clue how European car makers do that. They do not even know how to build a car with a good timing chain, timing chain plastic guides, or water pumps. And now, almost all TSI engines have no timing chain, only a timing belt. Good idea, because the car lifespan matches nicely with the life expectancy of the timing belt itself. Even until now, 4th revision of the water pump is 2.0TFSI still leaking every 50k miles.
I think V6 Turbo can replace gas guzzler V8 in Trucks and SUVs. Or hybrid 4 cylinders replace V6 on Minivan or SUV that give us 35MPG in the city. Americans still need large cars/trucks, Turbo and Hybridization are working well in some cars.
0W-16 is the current trend and it works well because of the electric oil pump that controls oil pressure precisely. Using thicker 5w-30 was not beneficial on those newer cars with electric oil pumps and sometimes accelerated engine wear instead. The highest wear in most cars is when it is still cold.
VW 508/509 LL is one of the standards for 0W-20, it seems to work well on VW 3 cyl 1.0 TSI too. It is a long-life oil that can take up to 20k miles/2 years of oil change interval if it is not driven in the city too often.
Tell us what drugs you are using, bcs. I want that!

It is called, the drug of knowledge that Adam stole from Eden garden
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2011/09/zas-20110902.html
GTI water pump issues is my personal experience, it leaks again and again with OEM plastic housing.

etc.
Yes, some Toyota also has issues like the 2010-2012 Prius with head gasket leak. But it is after over 140-200k miles, not 60k miles, just after the warranty expired. Toyota Fix it in 2013 with a re-designed head gasket. Or early V6 3.5L burst oil cooler line and Toyota replace it with metal from the rubber hose. Meanwhile, VW is revising water pump housing (4th revision) and still leaks because they stick with plastic, not aluminum. Fortunately, the aftermarket offers a better design. Yes, in some parts aftermarket parts are better than OEM in European cars. Many European BMW and VW used Plastic oil pans on transmission and engine oil for no good reason. You hit the ground or debris on the road, the whole fluid leak out and goodbye engine/transmission. Toyota also does a similar mistake on the 2004 V6 3.3L on the pipe from thermostat to radiator, it often just crack and spew the whole coolant in minutes, but it takes 12+year/200k miles before it happened. Most mechanics should replace that $20 pipe when changing the thermostat. There are almost no mainstream cars with dual injections in VAG, BMW, or Benz. Only the European version of Golf-R and GTI 2.0TFSI has dual injections. Not even BMW Supra. Carbon build-up will be always a problem in every direct injection-only car, including Toyota Corolla/CHR 1.2L Turbo in the European version. BMW supra use 0W-20 with ACEA C5 certification and probably more antiwear additive than regular Toyota 0W-20 from Mobil1. With direct injection only, Mid SAPS engine oils is required in direct injection only engines to reduce problems with catalytic converter and reduce intake carbon buildup.

Back to OIL, European or non-European grade oil, if you do severe driving, dusty roads, towing, many short trips 50%, you should change the oil every 5k miles/6 months. It is actually written in both Japanese and European car service interval fine print.

Last edited:
Yeah always noticed a lot more plastic under the hood with the Euro cars.

Also Japanese, especially Toyota/Lexus/Nissan/Infiniti are so much smoother to drive.
Sorry I've nevee driven Hondas, although I'm sure they're similar.

Using thicker 5w-30 was not beneficial on those newer cars with electric oil pumps and sometimes accelerated engine wear instead.

Which of 'those newer cars' are using 'electric oil pumps'?

0W-16 is the current trend and it works well because of the electric oil pump that controls oil pressure precisely.

What exactly on oil pressure is being controlled so precisely?

GTI water pump issues is my personal experience, it leaks again and again with OEM plastic housing.

etc.
Yes, some Toyota also has issues like the 2010-2012 Prius with head gasket leak. But it is after over 140-200k miles, not 60k miles, just after the warranty expired. Toyota Fix it in 2013 with a re-designed head gasket. Or early V6 3.5L burst oil cooler line and Toyota replace it with metal from the rubber hose. Meanwhile, VW is revising water pump housing (4th revision) and still leaks because they stick with plastic, not aluminum. Fortunately, the aftermarket offers a better design. Yes, in some parts aftermarket parts are better than OEM in European cars. Many European BMW and VW used Plastic oil pans on transmission and engine oil for no good reason. You hit the ground or debris on the road, the whole fluid leak out and goodbye engine/transmission. Toyota also does a similar mistake on the 2004 V6 3.3L on the pipe from thermostat to radiator, it often just crack and spew the whole coolant in minutes, but it takes 12+year/200k miles before it happened. Most mechanics should replace that $20 pipe when changing the thermostat. There are almost no mainstream cars with dual injections in VAG, BMW, or Benz. Only the European version of Golf-R and GTI 2.0TFSI has dual injections. Not even BMW Supra. Carbon build-up will be always a problem in every direct injection-only car, including Toyota Corolla/CHR 1.2L Turbo in the European version. BMW supra use 0W-20 with ACEA C5 certification and probably more antiwear additive than regular Toyota 0W-20 from Mobil1. With direct injection only, Mid SAPS engine oils is required in direct injection only engines to reduce problems with catalytic converter and reduce intake carbon buildup.

Back to OIL, European or non-European grade oil, if you do severe driving, dusty roads, towing, many short trips 50%, you should change the oil every 5k miles/6 months. It is actually written in both Japanese and European car service interval fine print.
Hmm, while I am aware of water pump “issues” on VW, you see I had two VW with those water pumps and one was traded with 116k miles and original pump, and Tiguan had new pump bcs. recall when it had 80k (why not new pump if recall?).
You see Japanese manufacturers are still struggling with LSPI and fuel dilution that VW struggle like 15 years ago. Honda in 2021 has worse fuel dilution than VW in its first FSI engines which we considered “fuel dilution monsters.”
But interestingly, Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi etc. use European ACEA A3 and C3 oils in markets where emissions are not calculated based on fleet consumption.
And just as reminder Toyota uses BMW engines, not other way around.
So, I think you got slme Chines knock off drugs.

Yeah always noticed a lot more plastic under the hood with the Euro cars.

Also Japanese, especially Toyota/Lexus/Nissan/Infiniti are so much smoother to drive.
Sorry I've nevee driven Hondas, although I'm sure they're similar.
Lol. Tells us which Japanese cars are “smoother” than European models?
I will take my BMW or VW (especially BMW, and that one has track suspension) on a road trip anytime over my Toyota minivan.

etc.

Wrong. My car has dual injection. If there is one thing Audi does well, it is build engines.

Also lol @ Japanese car driving better than German one. Right.

Which of 'those newer cars' are using 'electric oil pumps'?

What exactly on oil pressure is being controlled so precisely?

The 2.5L D4S system with dual injectors are using electric oil pump and use 0W-16. I think 2.0L D4S also have it. The oil pressure is adjusted depends on temperature, viscosity, rpm, and load. Well, I agree German cars are nice to drive, to lease, not really to own statistically. More than 50% luxury German cars are sold as leasing for a good reason. They are made for that leasing period in mind.

Last edited:
Wrong. My car has dual injection. If there is one thing Audi does well, it is build engines.

Also lol @ Japanese car driving better than German one. Right.
I talk about GTI and GolfR in North America version, not Audi. Yes VAG finally copy the 8 years Lexus technology. Audi makes good engines may be right. Good does not mean reliable. There are some legendary VAG engines, but not many anymore from what they offer these days. Look VW sale number in USA, compared to Hyundai and KIA, it is not even close

Last edited:
The 2.5L D4S system with dual injectors are using electric oil pump and use 0W-16. I think 2.0L D4S also have it.

I wasn't able to find anything on that. Still hard to believe.

The oil pressure is adjusted depends on temperature, viscosity, rpm, and load.

That's easily possible without the oil pump being electric. Most VW and Audi
oil pumps are - while still being mechanical - dual stage and could easily made
triple stage if required. However it isn't required.
On a side note: My GTI's EA888 3G ran on its high volume (and pressure) level
permanently during its first 1000 km.

Well, I agree German cars are nice to drive, ...

You learned surprisingly quickly.

....to lease, not really to own statistically. More than 50% luxury German cars are sold as leasing for a good reason. They are made for that leasing period in mind.

I don't use to lease private cars. I feel comfortable owning them, even long time.
You forget about the fact that luxury cars in general are leased above avarage.
My Porsche is 41 years old and my wife's former Golf is still running at 19 years
(in same town, so I see it from time to time). What's wrong with them? I'm under
the impression that those people who don't ever owned any German car suffer
from the biggest issues with them. So the problem isn't to own them but not to
own one.

VW/Audi started making the EA888 3G with dual injection in 2011 replacing both
its EA888 1G (VW/Seat/Skoda) and 2G (Audi only) predecessors.
The NA spec EA888 3G without dual injection (DI only) has been introduced later,
perhaps in 2013/2014 or so.

You, my mistress, or whatever is a special case. I am always talking about statistical number. There is no argue, Porsche, Benz and BMW put most of the RnD on handling, suspension, and infotainment. Lexus/Toyota put the RnD and highest patent number in electrification, durability, and safety for all. Just like all Yaris (not Mazda 2) already come with Radar cruise control, peditrian detection, etc. as standard.

For engine details 2.5L D4S , we need dealership service manual. Some also already use electric thermostat that distribute water in specific way. It makes the highest thermal effeciency so far 41%. The oil pump is not electric, but it was controled by ECU through valve controls in Land Cruiser V6 twin turbo.

Back to Oil, European grade 0w-20 is great and cheap if you are in europe. I found Lithuanian Mannol 0w20 7722 is certified by VW508/509. As cheap as €50 for 10 L, half price what Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge offer.

Last edited:
Back