BMW 230i (B46) oil

I recently bought a 2021 BMW 230i. Car has full wtty for abt a year and CPO after that. Just before my purchase the dealer did an oil change and they used 0W-20.

I'd feel much better if they had used 0W-30. I would never wait the full OCI but wondering if I should change it really soon? I don't want to do anything to compromise the warranty, but not keen on having a 0W-20 in there. I don't know the HTHS of the oil, but the KV100 of Castrol LL17FE+0W-20 is 8.18.

Car is MT if that makes a difference.

Thanks

If BMW specs a 0W-20, I wouldn't dump good oil just to go up a grade, unless you plan to the track the car or something. If you're concerned about warranty, change your own oil and keep some receipts for 0W-20. Also, check the owners manual. It may allow for thicker grades.

If you check the forums for the large number of cars that use the B48 (I assume your 21 has a B48) they spec a huge list of oils for the B48 in other markets.

Anything from 0w20 to 5w40

Going by what I have read on here BMW and Mini USA don’t list all the oil specs the engine can use in the ROW.

So might be an idea having a hunt round the BMW specific forums for the oil specs from Europe.

Perhaps somebody can tell you all the oils that BMW specs.

I'd run the "free" BMW 0w20 oil during the 6 coldest months while under warranty, and do an additional oil change to an Xw30 in the hottest 6 months. Unless you are really beating the bejeezus out of it, the 0w20 isn't going to be insufficient to protect the engine for a LONG, LONG time...so don't worry too much about it. I have a BMW engine in my Mini putting out a bit more than 300 HP, I run 0w30...so I know what you mean. But I have no "free" oil changes, either. Since you are in the USA (unless y'all have already seceded when I wasn't looking), I believe 10000 mile OCI's are the norm. Using my suggestion, that allows you 20,000 miles a year splitting it up 6 months each, and staying within the recommended mileage. If you drive less than 20,000 miles a year, run the 0w20 for 4-5 months, then the Xw30 the remaining 7-8 months.

You could go with motul specific 0w-30 LL01FE or Castrol Edge Euro 0w-30. Otherwise, LL04 Pennzoil Euro L 5w-30 is also very good and readily available at walmart. I run castrol euro in my B58.

I recently bought a 2021 BMW 230i. Car has full wtty for abt a year and CPO after that. Just before my purchase the dealer did an oil change and they used 0W-20.

I'd feel much better if they had used 0W-30. I would never wait the full OCI but wondering if I should change it really soon? I don't want to do anything to compromise the warranty, but not keen on having a 0W-20 in there. I don't know the HTHS of the oil, but the KV100 of Castrol LL17FE+0W-20 is 8.18.

Car is MT if that makes a difference.

Thanks
The B-series engines were designed with a 20 grade in mind. For example the bearings have a polymer coating (IROX). That being said you can use a 5w40 (LL01/LL04) oil if you wish. I'm aware that BMW recommends 0w30 (LL01FE) or the 0w20 (FE17+).

The B-series has been out for 8 yrs or so and I haven't seen any lubricant related issues running the 20 grade on forums. I have seen a photo of an early B-series engine which had some chain guide wear but that might have been a one-off

It is not technically LL01FE, but LL01. However, bcs. Castrol does recommend it bcs. LL01FE HTHS is max 3.49 and LL01 min 3.5. If you plan to keep car, this would be my go to during warranty and after. IMO it is still best Euro oil.
If there was an engine problem and wtty claim, do you think BMW could use the fact the oil wasn't LL17 FE+ to deny? Could they even tell what oil was in there?

If there was an engine problem and wtty claim, do you think BMW could use the fact the oil wasn't LL17 FE+ to deny? Could they even tell what oil was in there?
They PROBABLY won’t. You are still using BMW approved oil, just not “energy conserving” one. Also, manual leave a lot to owner for interpretation. BMW always had confusing oil recommendations. In reality, they should recommend LL04 not LL01FE as LL04 is Low/Mid-SAPS oil like LL17FE, but with HTHS 3.5 or higher.
Regardless, Castrol 0W30 was always darling of Euro owners. It is still IMO best oil for Euro gas engines without GPF.

How much wear difference would be LL17+ vs that Castrol LL01 with 5K of normal daily operation. I would say no difference in wear within 150-200K with shorter OCIs.
Full saps oil like that castrol makes a lot of sense for full 10-11K BMW recommended OCI.

Well, he wants 0W-30, and they're both great choices.

Otherwise it's Castrol EDGE Euro 0W-30 which isn't bad, but it's made with an ancient add pack. - LL01

Or

Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 - LL04

PP Euro L 5W-30 - LL04
What ancient pack? What are you talking about? Edge had revision last year. LL01 is as current as of 2022.

How much wear difference would be LL17+ vs that Castrol LL01 with 5K of normal daily operation. I would say no difference in wear within 150-200K with shorter OCIs.
Full saps oil like that castrol makes a lot of sense for full 10-11K BMW recommended OCI.
It is extremely shear stable oil with much higher margins. If I had that 230 and with God given manual, it would only get oil with min HTHS of 3.5.

The car won't get tracked or even driven too hard so I'll probably do a change in around 4,000 miles and use the 0W30 Castrol Edge. I'm driving so little, might hit the 1 year mark first.

Does anyone have an idea of the HTHS of the 0W20?

Back