What disturbs/angers you while driving?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Infractions can cost you points on your license, get enough and its gone.

Some states in the US have such point system as well, but many don't.

What angers me most is finishing off a 6 pack of Beer and smoking 3 joints on the way to work and still being stuck in traffic. It angers me.

Y'all seem to have it covered. Only thing I might add is when people drive under the speed limit and tap the brakes every few seconds in front of my "cop car" on roads that only have one lane in each direction. On the highway people get out of my way though, it's great.

1) People that won't move left, when I'm entering an interstate, even though the left lane is clear

2) People that hog the left lane and drive slowly and won't merge right

3) People that don't pay attn to the task at hand....driving.

Originally Posted By: Trav
For example if you see an overpass with white lines before it on the road it is for measuring distance between cars, if your tailgating and you are caught your probably walking for a month and paying a stiff fine.

The one time I got a ticket for this on the A7 it blew my mind. A camera got me for following too close.

Of course, I was hard on my brakes to not hit the guy that decided to pull out and pass a truck at 90kph - but the law is the law.

Amazing how they enforce traffic. Just a simple flash and it is what it is. Trade cash for points. The one time I won, a camera was deemed "unfairly placed," that is, it was after the 80kph sign, not before it - so me going 60kph was perfectly legal. Of course, I still had to pay $200-something Euros and take the points while I contested.

My current pet peeve is drivers who wait till the last 50 feet to merge for construction when there are 4 or 5 well placed signs saying right lane closed ahead. This causes drivers in the left lane to have to brake and causing a ripple effect slowing things to a standstill a mile up the road

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
People coming out of a side street pull out in front of you and then drive about 10 mph under the speed limit.
Texting at intersections when the light turns green is also becoming a favorite out there.

This problem is getting just insanely bad...it's pretty much a given now that it's going to take 5-10 seconds for traffic to get moving on a green because so many people towards the head of the line are texting. They know they're going to make the light no matter what, so why bother paying attention?
If you're in a left turn lane, texters eat up a huge percentage of the total time you have to turn...I basically take two different ways home from work, one highway that leaves me making a left at a bad intersection and another surface that has me going straight through the same intersection on a side road that gets a small portion of the total cycle. The left turn lane will end up backing up 20-30 cars deep during commuting times because 8-10 cars will get through per cycle when 20 would be possible if people actually got going. Going the other way, I have been 5th in line for the light and missed it because of texters...one time the texter at the front didn't get going until the yellow despite everybody beeping and then 3 cars behind him went through the red! This straight was not a problem until a grocery store was built near it, of course the town didn't bother to adjust the light timing in the three years since then.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Distracted Millennials with bent necks in a daze from hours of staring at their cellphone.

The worst person I know as far as texting and driving goes is my age and I sure ain't a millennial!
I think it's actually worse in general with parents trying to do too much at once than the kids...

Folks who seem to be incapable of turning headlights on at night. Folks who have no grasp of how 4-way stops work. Folks who don't know that when the traffic lights are not working, intersections become 4-way stops. The last one happened recently where the lights on the main road were completely out. I was the only one on the main road who stopped, which apparently irritated the guy behind me who honked because I stopped. Other people just blew right through.

Roundabouts:

1. Drivers entering who do not yield to vehicles already established in the roundabout. I should not have to slam on my brakes to keep from hitting you because you did not yield before entering.

2. Drivers established in the roundabout who come to a complete stop to allow other drivers to enter the roundabout. It's not a 4-way stop!!!!

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Roundabouts:

1. Drivers entering who do not yield to vehicles already established in the roundabout. I should not have to slam on my brakes to keep from hitting you because you did not yield before entering.

2. Drivers established in the roundabout who come to a complete stop to allow other drivers to enter the roundabout. It's not a 4-way stop!!!!

You are lucky that they are at least travelling at the same direction as you are, i.e. counter clockwise.

Roundabouts are something of a new phenomenon in some neighbourhoods, some people got really confused and go against the traffic flow.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Distracted Millennials with bent necks in a daze from hours of staring at their cellphone.

The worst person I know as far as texting and driving goes is my age and I sure ain't a millennial!
I think it's actually worse in general with parents trying to do too much at once than the kids...

I agree. It's hardly limited to young people.

Last one I remember was a work van swerving from side to side on the highway. It was a middle aged guy checking his cell phone.

Millennials aren't even that young anymore. If you're born between 1981 and 1996 you're considered a millennial. So many millennials are well into their 30's.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
1. Left lane hoggers
2. Slowing down traffic by driving below speed limit
3. Not using turn signals

Agree
Agree
Agree

Hit all the major points there.

I'd also say that if I can't see your headlights through the back glass of my 911, you're probably too close.

Also agree. And regrettably must add of late:

A) Drivers looking down at their phones when driving . Ex: Just today saw a girl looking down and to her right ( likely at a phablet on the passenger seat) and laughing when merging into 80 MPH traffic on I-93 south in New Hampshire.

B) Operators not using their headights in heavy rain or in low visibility condition. I often pass slow traffic on Rt 111, two lane undivided state highway and was in peril as I approached a greyish car with no lights in the oncoming lane when passing at a closing speed estimated to be over 140MPH. Luckily he/she/it pulled onto the breakdown lane to avoid death.

Now I have to rest a bit, as I am shaken by this recollection …

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: exranger06
Basically everyone on a sport bike. Always driving recklessly and doing stupid and illegal stuff. Going 100+ mph everywhere, weaving between cars, speeding down the breakdown lane, illegally passing, tailgating, lane-splitting (illegal here), you name it. I can't remember the last time I saw one actually driving like a sane person.

Have you ever ridden a sportbike (or any motorcycle)?

My sister in law peering from the back seat at the speedometer, and reacting to every traffic situation as something I need to watch out for. I am going too slow, too fast, whatever it is, I am doing it wrong. I tend to relax these days and let people do what they want. Some have a gun in the car and I would rather just avoid them than worry about the small stuff.

1. Reckless and sudden maneuvers just to save a fraction of a second, like roaring around to pass then cutting in front just to brake hard and take the very next exit. Depending on how close, airhorn likely.

2. Not using turn signals - extension of #1. If you signal, I might just let you in. If you jump or bully in front with no warning and make me brake hard, you are getting the airhorn.

3. Tailgating. Yes, I see you. No, I cannot magically make this line of traffic go faster. Yes, I will blister your eyeballs with my LED brake lights. No, I won't go 15 mph over on this single lane road just because you think the speed limit doesn't apply to you. Yes, I'm in the left lane because I'm passing a slower vehicle already. No, I won't floor it to pass just because you say so - I'm already passing at a decent clip and will be out of the way in a few seconds.

4. Inversion of #3 - people without the guts or horsepower to complete a pass after committing to pass. Don't just match speed for miles - speed up enough to get clear in a timely manner. Big rigs I sympathize with because speed limiters, but then the truck being passed should drop cruise down a click so it's not a truck going 65.3 mph passing a truck going 65.1 mph.

5. Hit and run. Never happened to me but I'd be fully prepared to chase someone to the ends of the earth for trying to dodge responsibility for wrecking my stuff.

6. Drivers of huge high end vehicles which only seem to serve as an excuse to bully everyone else on the road. Would be interesting to do a survey about perceptions about drivers of larger or smaller cars than one one being driven, and perceptions about cheaper or higher end cars than the one being driven.

7. Traffic slugs caused by a chain reaction of braking for no reason, delaying everybody for minutes when there was never any obstruction and traffic should have just kept flowing as usual.

8. Idiots who still speed in bad weather thinking AWD or 4x4 means they can ignore the laws of the road and laws of the universe.

9. People who honk and insist I pull out or turn when there isn't space for me to do so because there's traffic coming that the impatient person cannot see. I will go when there's space, and not a moment before. Honking won't make me take additional risk.

Anybody who lets more than half a car length open up before they remove their foot from the brake, should be smacked silly, repeatedly, with increasing violence until they move at the same time the car infront of them begins to.

Anybody who looks at their phone at every opportunity to do so.
Left lane police who think that nobody needs to drive faster than them. Move the F over.

Round abouts, why can't people understand that they are supposed yield to traffic already in circle, and not treat it as a 4 way stop sign and try to make eye contact with other drivers. Look at the front tires of the vehicles in the circle and their speed, not the driver.

I very much wish that those who are obsessed with their phones when driving, would be targeted by law enforcement, along with those with LED or HID kits in halogen housings. Driving with the fashion lights, commonly though to be fog lights, on always, is also a sign of halfwittedness.

People with junk hanging from their rear view mirrors, fill me with a seething contempt for the whole human species.

Back