When do you board a flight?

Why anyone would choose to board at T-30 or earlier makes zero sense to me.
I recently went to Florida with a carry-on and as I boarded was told there was no more overhead bin room and that I'd have to check my bag. Ok, no big deal. Got to Orlando and my bag wasn't there. Now, someone took my bag thinking it was theirs, and while Florida in 30-hour-old underwear, athletic pants, and a t-shirt wasn't awesome and I got my bag back, had I gotten on the plane earlier I wouldn't have had to deal with that issue. I never check a bag and so I get on as early as possible so the above doesn't happen again.

I recently went to Florida with a carry-on and as I boarded was told there was no more overhead bin room and that I'd have to check my bag. Ok, no big deal. Got to Orlando and my bag wasn't there. Now, someone took my bag thinking it was theirs, and while Florida in 30-hour-old underwear, athletic pants, and a t-shirt wasn't awesome and I got my bag back, had I gotten on the plane earlier I wouldn't have had to deal with that issue. I never check a bag and so I get on as early as possible so the above doesn't happen again.

That's fair. I avoid that exact situation by using luggage that complies with all airlines "person item" space requirements, meaning I don't need overhead space nor will I be required to gate check. I can pack enough clothes for a week's leisure trip in that one bag. Should I need more space, I'll put non-essentials in a carry-on size bag and volunteer to check it at the gate if they need the space (they always do).

That way, I'm never left without at least a couple changes of clothes and some toiletries.

I board it and don’t give it any thought. Seems some people are picky/emotional and act like it’s a sports play.

I never, ever, never allow my carry-on to leave my sight.
Another reason why I’m always one of the first to board.

Luckily you eventually got your property back.

I've seen people board the plane and promptly deposit their carry-ons at the first open bin they can find, then they hop skip and jump their way back to their seat further back in the plane somewhere. Because obviously no one wants to carry their bag any further than necessary! Eventually though the people who are supposed to be seated there board the plane and find all the bins near their row are full.

I've seen people board the plane and promptly deposit their carry-ons at the first open bin they can find, then they hop skip and jump their way back to their seat further back in the plane somewhere. Because obviously no one wants to carry their bag any further than necessary! Eventually though the people who are supposed to be seated there board the plane and find all the bins near their row are full.
Completely selfish, unthinking behavior masquerading as a “travel hack”. 🤦‍♂️

Back