When do you board a flight?

This guy is flying on a small A220 - four pieces
There is definitely a lace of enforcement. On ALL the airlines. Countless times I have seen people haul aboard a large roller bag + a second, slightly-smaller roller bag. I doubt that second one is going to fit under the seat! Or the second item is a large piece of sporting equipment, or a musical instrument, or a 4-foot-high stuffed animal.... Sure maybe the airlines offer free carry-ons, but a lot of people abuse the privilege.

He may be holding for two, but if not its up to the GA to shut this guys game down.

Heathrow is known for parking a sizer right at the gate.
He was alone … I was on the flight with a back pack only …
They only follow the rules when it’s a full flight … on Sunday flights it’s what you can get away with ☹️

He was alone … I was on the flight with a back pack only …
They only follow the rules when it’s a full flight … on Sunday flights it’s what you can get away with ☹️

Inconsiderate and amateurish.

I've honed my carry on formula for decades now and can even make it work on a regional jet.

Reactions: 4WD
It's not the norm, but it does happen occasionally.
My son just got back from the East Coast. There was a lady that was 400plus pounds on the airplane....with very poor hygiene. He said that a half dozen people asked to be moved from her proximity. Let's just say that some of the things we take for granted doing ourselves....are very difficult if not impossible for a person of this size-hence the reason for the odors.

I like to be the absolute last person to board the plane. I wait until the final call then I proceed to go on. I always make certain to hump my (borderline acceptable) carry-on back and forth along the aisle for awhile looking for an empty overhead compartment. If I run into someone, and I will, no apologies will be issued. Usually if I do this long enough it will prompt the flight attendant to handle my bag. Which was my intention all along. I probably won’t know where my seat is either as I won’t be bothered to check beforehand. But you better believe it will be a window seat, so people will have to get up… Bonus points if I am able to ask the attendant for a pre-flight accommodation (pillow, drink, etc.) I get real snarky when they say no… This reaffirms my dominance and rightful place as the most important individual on the plane…. You’ve probably seen me on your flight before.

I like to be the absolute last person to board the plane. I wait until the final call then I proceed to go on. I always make certain to hump my (borderline acceptable) carry-on back and forth along the aisle for awhile looking for an empty overhead compartment. If I run into someone, and I will, no apologies will be issued. Usually if I do this long enough it will prompt the flight attendant to handle my bag. Which was my intention all along. I probably won’t know where my seat is either as I won’t be bothered to check beforehand. But you better believe it will be a window seat, so people will have to get up… Bonus points if I am able to ask the attendant for a pre-flight accommodation (pillow, drink, etc.) I get real snarky when they say no… This reaffirms my dominance and rightful place as the most important individual on the plane…. You’ve probably seen me on your flight before.
Sadly, I have run into this guy many, many times…

I have had a run in with one far worse, as well…a story I won’t put on the internet, because of how I solved it.

But that solution involved a quiet word, a veiled threat, and she turned a few shades whiter and sat down. Not another peep…

HATE to fly but was once in those million+ unobtanium status groups because I flew way too much for work. After the first 3 months of amassing miles, I boarded when they called first class after that, because I got upgraded 98% of the flights.

I love air travel... Even being 6'6" and cramming into economy (or economy plus, at best) even on long haul. I love the entire experience and it remains special to me. Never once had an issue with TSA and it's always painless, every single time. Having TSA Precheck and Global Entry helps a bit, too.

Part of my fun is picking out specific routes, aircraft, etc... I do like (sarcasm) when people complain about legroom who are 5'6" and sitting in Economy Plus or even Business... Please... I would not know what to do with myself if I had that much room for my legs. Anyway...

Just booked another trip to Munich in October... On the way home, specifically chose a less-ideal routing from MUC with two connections on the way home just to fly on the A380 specifically (and paid for seats on the upper deck!). So the day we go home, something to look forward to. Almost went with a similar routing going to get on the A340-600, but didn't want to risk all the connections going in case of issues... But we have a nice trusty 767-300ER going, but I really like the 767/330 families due to the 2/4/2 or 2/3/2 seating arrangement. Makes flying much nicer with the lady as we never have anyone next to us, climbing over us for the bathroom, etc...

As far as boarding? I just board when our group is called... Or on Southwest, we check in immediately 24hrs out and typically get late A or early B and find a seat no problem.

we now have an ADA (Geo Bush, July of '90) category for 'large' ppl (beside blind, elderly, etc). It
may have come in as of a '17 "advisement'? but I see "1 chair in 7 of the waiting room must be adiquate to seat
a 'large person'." etc... Stats show a nation's weight increasing~

Personally, I love air travel. As much of a pain it may be, I find every experience to be a thrill. Proof: I was once pulled aside by TSA for additional screening after my hand swab tested positive for who knows what. The entire time behind the curtain, I was cracking jokes and riffing with the staff.

Anyway, I frequent a travel forum and I constantly see people complaining about the boarding process. How the system is abused, how "elite status" continually means less when it comes to boarding order, etc. I'm far from a frequent flyer, however these complaints always puzzle me for one reason: why on earth would one voluntarily board an aircraft one SECOND sooner than necessary?

While the majority of my flying has my rear end firmly planted in a coach seat, I also regularly buy up to the front/comfort/economy+ seats offered so as to speed up my disembarking. Often times, those seats also include priority boarding which is something I NEVER utilize.

When I fly, you'll find me sitting at whatever bar is closest to my gate until T-10, at which point I meander over and join the last 2-3 passengers in line to board. Why anyone would choose to board at T-30 or earlier makes zero sense to me. Give me a comfortable stool a real drink, and a television over sitting at the gate twiddling my thumbs any day.
I had my bag pulled to the side coming back from a Christmas visit last year. The TSA officer couldn't figure out what the small box in my luggage was kind of surprisingly. It was a large box of Andes mints.

We've flown a few times in the last couple of years and some things never change while others have. Uniformed and inexperienced travelers have always been among us, although there was a time when most airlines had plenty of staff to assist them.
Out of twelve legs, only one was not utterly full. The airlines involved were SW, AA and Alaska. Alaska was the best, with a very reasonable cost for their premium economy product which even included a couple of rounds of free drinks. I had a pretty nice single malt and enjoyed the extra space. American was really okay. The cabins were clean and fresh looking. SW has really declined from the pre-pandemic era. The cabins looked dirty and worn and we also took a multi-hour delay on our last leg to home, fortunately no onward connection involved since we would have missed it by hours. In 2019 I would have placed SW at the top for the routes they offered, but not now.
There are not nearly as many flights as there were in 2019, making for less optimal departure and arrival choices along with often quirky connection routings lengthening travel time.
Boarding? With our group when called. We'll gate check our carry on full of non-essentials if asked and only carry on the one with those things that we really need and that bag will fit under the seat in front if necessary. The experience overall is not as pleasant as it was just a few years ago, but flying is still usually the easiest and often the only way between two widely separated points.

I hate waiting at the airport. I have tsa pre check, and ai won’t always do this, but most smaller airports (PHL, IND, ALB, DAY, etc.) I won’t get there until about an hour before.

I only have “status” (FWIW) on American. But unless I’m flying first class (free upgrade) , it’s entirely dependent upon how full the flight is. Since most of my flying is for work, and most is a day or two, I try to stick with carry on bags. If the boarding area and seat map looks full, I’ll board with my priority group to avoid needing to gate check a bag. Otherwise I wait as long as I reasonably can without being a pain and having them find me.

Reactions: GON
Back