What car is sporting the last cassette deck made?

I found some old cassette tapes I recorded in around 1982 and plugged one into my 2005 Ford Taurus. Still sounds fine. Who else still has a cassette recorder in their beater and what year is the car?

E4C55805-8D72-4C30-BB74-263E75049291.jpeg
A83F7E9E-82E6-4F96-A926-A6FF43AB6B6C.jpeg

I have one in our 2001 Sequoia and I still throw a 35+ year old Rush cassette in it on the rare event I use the Sequoia anymore.... only put about 250 miles on it in the last year. Player still works great and sounds decent.

My wife's new 2023 Subaru has a CD player (when you get a manual transmission). These are pretty much absent from new cars options being a 40 year old technology - your cassette tapes are over Half Century old tech. Making (semi) hi-fi cassettes for the car use to be fun. I could even discern improved RCA unbalanced interconnects used in the process over the automotive speakers ( e.g: Cardas Cross, Monster M950i, XLO Signature )

I guess I am old tech now too!

My 2006 Ford Crown Victoria LX had a factory cassette/CD. I’m sure later model years had them and the car was made until discontinued in 2011.

My 1995 Saturn SC1 had a cassette. I totally skipped the CD-player generation, as my next car, a 2018 Elantra, only has Bluetooth!

There are cassette players in all our vehicles except for the Camaro.

The Camaro has a Pioneer CD player I installed in the early 90's but the plan has been to go back to a cassette. I could never get the CD player to stop skipping. I even sent it in twice for eval and repair but nothing is wrong with it. I can drive over a pebble and it'll skip; just super stiff, factory suspension.

I've had a NIB Pioneer KEH-M5500 on the shelf forever. Just never found the time or ambition to do the swap.

I don't think the cassette player in the Lexus has ever been used.

Cassettes are inherently unreliable, storage limited (music or sound time duration), and bulky. I made it a life mission to change over to CD-Rs the second they were available, then USB sticks the moment they were available, until today when bluetooth, Carplay, 3g, 4g, cell coverage, made all of the past stay in the past. Never looked back. I can still appreciate cassettes for the sake of old school technology, but chucked all of them long ago. I think the last vehicle I had with one was a 2005 Legacy GT or Outback and only used it for the aux input cable cassette workaround.

I was born after cassettes died. I did listen to sesame Street on CD as a child
I've started collecting CDs, just because the CD player works in my car

Back