What 0w16 are you using in your newer toyota?

I've used Carquest and STP 0W-16 for years without issue in my '19 Corolla Hatchback that recommends a 0W-16 oil. Both made by Amolie. I've also used M1 AFE and just yesterday I picked up a 3 pack of PP 0W-16 from Amazon. TGMO can be found locally but it's over $9 a quart here in SoCal. I use whatever is on sale and I sleep easy at night.

I have a 23 rav. I use kirkland 0w20 unless I can get 0w16 on sale. Managed to get penzoil 0w16 for $30 cdn so I put that in today. I have had no issues with 0w20 though.

I have Mobil One 0W16 from Walmart sitting on the shelf at home waiting for my next oil change at 5K.
2023 Rav4 Hybrid SE -- Calvary Blue

I sell the Toyota oil in my shop because it is the cheapest 0W16 I can buy and all of my 0W16 customers are still under factory warranty so there is absolutely no question that I put the correct oil in
I question that because what the owners manual states it is recommended. It does not say Shall only use this viscosity or the engine will self destruct. I personally would never use that water if I was going to keep it beyond the warranty period. Min I would use is a 5/30

Girlfriends RAV4 specs OW-16 oil.

Is there a lot of difference between 0W-16 and 0W-20?
The owner's manual of her vehicle specs out 0W16. I'm sure it's for CAFE standards.
It is also clearly written in the owner's manual that you may use 0W-20 oil as a substitute if you cannot find 0W-16.

I agree there isn't an enormous amount of 0W-16 oils out there on the market. If you find a quality OW-20E that that you like, a price you like, If it has all the magic potions you like, you may use it.

So go with either viscosity.

In my 22 RAV4 hybrid, I'm using a blend of 2 qts 0w~20 Mobile 1, that I have, and the remaining 2.5 qts, Toyota 0w~16. I have just over 10k miles and I have done oil changes at 1,500, 5,000 & 10,000 miles.

That's a common blend here at BITOG Lee. I'm surprised your RAV4 only specs 4.5 quarts.
Our Kia only takes 4.25 quarts. I always dump 4.50 in her and save the remaining 1/2 quart for the next Kia OCI.

Pretty sure that same engine called for 0w20 in many of the years this engine was used, and various cars with this engine call out XW30 weight oils for severe service and hotter climates. Don't worry, I'm sure 0w16 is "safe and effective when used as directed."

;)

This is one of those cases where if I were going to use ONLY the 0W16 as directed by the manufacture for the purposes of keeping a warranty unquestionably in-tact, I would just buy the Toyota branded 0W16 oil and change it at 5K mile intervals. I mean, the only reason I can think of to use this weight in this engine is to retain a warranty without question, and the best way to do that is going to be pictures of Toyota branded bottles with 0W16 clearly visible. It's around $9/qt, which is what I would call "in the noise" for someone willing to pay new-car registration/taxes.

The Toyota black bottles look like the same plastic mold that is found on many "OE" liquids provided by Mobile/Exxon. I think I recall some UOA/VOA's indicating that the Toyota fluid might have more Moly in it than the usual suspects down at the wally world.

I'm running m1 ep 0w20 for my first oil change at 600 miles. 2024 xse 2.5L camry. When I bought my car, I slipped in a magnetic drain plug and managed to install it without losing hardly any oil. It was actually overfilled from the factory or dealership. This is what it looked like. Car runs a little quieter with 0w20.

Attachments

• 20231104_181802.jpg
    20231104_181802.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 20231104_181751.jpg
    20231104_181751.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 170
'23 Camry using PP 0W-16 for at least the next 2 dumps (since I have 2 more jugs). After that, we'll see.

Back