Does ILSAC + OEM OCI have consumers best interest protected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is the website guide that tell us that's how it works here? I see mixing threads as a bigger issue.
It's a discussion forum, we don't get to silo what we say in different threads, Fred.
Again you didn't pay attention, was that test for the field "issue" like what the guy said, or just one more test because of a new technology (e.g. start stop)?
What where the field issues that where not being tested directly before? We can ask that guy. But also a document that does not seek evidence to disproof itself leaves little room to be trusted. Or, there has never been any field ""issues"" before? There has been (I assume) and they have not be directly tested.
You not understanding the sequences is leading you to interpret my position as one that isn't following what somebody you are loosely quoting, from a video, is saying.

There's a reason I specifically mentioned Sequence IVA, because it's designed to replicate the conditions where increased wear takes place during short-tripping operation, which was a broadly observed in-field issue and subsequently addressed. This is right along the same lines as LSPI, where an issue observed in service wasn't isolated to any particular marque, but rather was conditions dependant, which led to a specific test being developed.

As I said, read through the sequences.
Again, let's continue it there, but I have no issue backtracking from what I perceived or expressed. This thread is on a separate issue. I will not repeat that.
But both are your interpretation of what constitutes adequacy, so it is in fact germane.
I don't have examples, and was talking about their general reliability.
You realize this doesn't make sense, right? This thread is predicated on the premise that the API/ILSAC approvals aren't sufficient, which is specific to lubricant-related durability. You've now stated that you have no examples of this actually being an issue, but lament that this somehow, tangentially, didn't influence general reliability? If these observations that you allude to about durability have no relation to lubrication, then how, prey tell, does that statement in any way tie-in to your conclusion that the API/ILSAC sequences are inadequate?

I'll save your fingers the workout: It doesn't, this is a fantastic and totally irrelevant detour; it's whataboutism.

I agree with you and the first video confirms it as well, I also add that the consumer has zero say in this process currently.
OEM don't have a crystal ball, but they have their own engines. Put it into a 10000Hr test with the oil that they agreed on and see if it works. Why there is no adequate long-term engine test done and published publicly?
OEM can also make an ECU that tracks speed, trip duration, oil/coolant temperature, load on the engine, rpm, etc with the current sensors, so they should be providing a better "oil change" lamp than a simple mileage counter. No consumer advocacy group has ever pushed them to do anything more than that so far.
Out of curiosity, but what input should consumers have?

I had no idea until recently that all engines have a B10 rating.

I'm confused on what the question is for this topic in discussion.
Are you just checking in to see if I even know what's going on here? LOL. Likely not! LOL

I'll take this as a shift change moment and leave this thread to you and O.K.
I have to go grocery shopping and grab some lunch chow.

O.P. Fred stated, referring to ILSAC and API certification, in post #1 "From what I see, the test are not complete end to end tests that guarantee engine longevity outside of 50-60K miles guarantee interval, specially if you follow OEM OCI with bare minimum certified oils

I just wanted to remind the O.P that manufacturers are doing extensive testing and accruing field data and that there is a feedback loop. I am not privy to specifics or any of this data as I don't work in this industry. Maybe you can point to some. Like the B10 thread from a couple months ago.

Cheers! - Ken
(no, not really Tim Allen - keep guessing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back