Was Royal Purple ever considered a "boutique" oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if Noack proves anything but Amsoil SS 5w30 is now 6.7 previous formula 7.5. That might say something about base oil or not ? Anybody know if lower Noack necessarily means better base ? Thanks.

No, I'm not. The only valvoline that has moly is their diesel oil, and IDK about their conventional. I've seen at least 50 uoa's on their synthetics, zero moly. Super tech is hit or miss with moly, most uoa's show no moly.

Originally Posted By: geekster
Is there evidence showing that RP is only on the level as SuperTech? With what I've read on here it compares closely to Valvoline. Maybe Valvoline, ST, and RP are all very similar?
All those are using GroupIII mostly, likely no hydrogenated decene homopolymer (PAO) anywhere to be found amongst them. ... Nothing really notable about any, except maybe that its good Valvoline and RP have titanium now.
Originally Posted By: burla
Very similar, all group 3 with no moly all 3.
What??? All 3 actually have moly.
Mainly look at the qualifications: All are dexos1 Gen2, the same spec. Then, after that, the MSDS sheets don't show anything interesting. Not proven to be that different from each other.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Very similar, all group 3 with no moly all 3.
Which oils are you referring to? Most if not all oils have moly in them. If you are talking about Supertech And Valvoline then you are wrong about this.
Yes, all 3 have moly now. Prviously, they did not, a few years ago. http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html but now they do.
Most oils have at least some moly. The measly 3 ppm seen in Shell Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 is virtually zero, and not many oils shun moly these days.
Some have over 100 ppm, some over 200 ppm, and then others like Redline, TGMO, MGMO, and Zepro use truck loads of the stuff.

pqia says all three brands have no moly either, synthetic oil. pqia says
burla, Not a bad source of info, but a bit old. The old high-Na, no-moly formulas are gone with SN+ and dexos1 Gen2 LSPI requirements. A recent thing, so just check the more recent oil spectrographic results published by PQIA themselves, and on bitog.

Last edited:
pqia says all three brands have no moly either, synthetic oil.

pqia says

Burka, the new d1G2 and SN+ formulations have moly. Valvoline has changed to a moly-boron-titanium additive package.

With the recent reformulations you will need very recent analysis reports.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
pqia says all three brands have no moly either, synthetic oil.

pqia says

Burka, the new d1G2 and SN+ formulations have moly. Valvoline has changed to a moly-boron-titanium additive package.

With the recent reformulations you will need very recent analysis reports.

Well this is good news, very good news. How long has Valvoline had sn+ out?

Well this is good news, very good news. How long has Valvoline had sn+ out?
6 months cuz dexos1 Gen2 matches SN+, effectively.
Notably, the expensive Valvoline Modern Engine oil does not include titanium in it, although the cheaper Valvoline Advanced does.

This is the most recent uoa for valvoline in BITOG uao section from last month, no moly. Likely 16ppm was left over from what looks like m1. I was able to find a recent super tech uoa that had 102ppm moly, so I was wrong on that. I still don't trust that info, how can I when I've seen a few w/o moly. I certainly wish for consistency in formulations, which seams like a pipe dream these days. Couldn't find a RP uoa in the uoa forum, but I have seen quite a few with no moly, although none recent.

full-36288-22121-uoa_4.png

Last edited:
This is the most recent uoa for valvoline in BITOG uao section from last month, no moly. Likely 16ppm was left over from what looks like m1. I was able to find a recent super tech uoa that had 102ppm moly, so I was wrong on that. I still don't trust that info, how can I when I've seen a few w/o moly. I certainly wish for consistency in formulations, which seams like a pipe dream these days. Couldn't find a RP uoa in the uoa forum, but I have seen quite a few with no moly, although none recent.

full-36288-22121-uoa_4.png

HERE. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...os1#Post4682481

#1. You cannot reference uoa’s because we don’t know when the oil was made. This is the latest virgin analysis done of Valvoline Advanced Synthetic.

Crikey!

It was sad to see so much mindless, irrational hate for Royal Purple oil here through the years. I hope that stupidity does not resurface.

I'm actually going to buy a jug of RP 0W20 next time for my Honda. I would've actually bought it tonight when I had to stop by Walmart on the way home,but they were out of the 0W20. That weight of RP always sells out,whereas the other weights don't.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'm actually going to buy a jug of RP 0W20 next time for my Honda. I would've actually bought it tonight when I had to stop by Walmart on the way home,but they were out of the 0W20. That weight of RP always sells out,whereas the other weights don't.

I bought it as soon as it was $20 a 5 quart Jug. Two Jugs in fact. That is the same thing I'll do with Amsoil and Redline.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I bought it as soon as it was $20 a 5 quart Jug. Two Jugs in fact. That is the same thing I'll do with Amsoil and Redline.

You must have a barn full of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back