Was Royal Purple ever considered a "boutique" oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'm actually going to buy a jug of RP 0W20 next time for my Honda. I would've actually bought it tonight when I had to stop by Walmart on the way home,but they were out of the 0W20. That weight of RP always sells out,whereas the other weights don't.

I bought it as soon as it was $20 a 5 quart Jug. Two Jugs in fact. That is the same thing I'll do with Amsoil and Redline.

You must have a barn full of oil.

Well not quite but my little storage shed has about two full shelf's. I seriously need to get in a 12 step program soon before my wife sticks her head in my shed.

Never will I understand this whole oil stash fetish thing. Unless it's an outstanding oil that's real hard to come by. Even huge companies don't like to keep lots of inventory because it doesn't make sense to them.Why then would it make sense to a regular consumer, except for some non sensical bragging rights. Coveting motor oil,boy oh boy !

Being from Canada, you should be well aware of the value of finding a really good price on oil, especially if it's a product one likes and wishes to continue to use, rather than grab whatever CT happens to deign themselves to offer to us at a sensible price this week.

I have a mechanic friend who speaks highly of RP, but it's price scared me away. To each their own, but PP and M-1 are priced within my budget, so I choose to use them.

I will say I've always be curious to see purple oil again. I remember my Dad swore by a purple oil from Union 76 that he called "Purple Death"!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dak27

I will say I've always be curious to see purple oil again. I remember my Dad swore by a purple oil from Union 76 that he called "Purple Death"!

I’m more into this kind of Death:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_in_the_Afternoon_(cocktail)

grin2.gif

Did my last change of RP HPM 10w30 in 4S outboard … had NMMA approvals … been dropped by RP so end of that …

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
Originally Posted By: thastinger
If you ever wanted to consider it special oil, that is now the HPS line, not what you can get off the shelf at normal stores. I buy the HPS line by the 5 gallon pales online, works out to about 7 bucks a qt. Here is a UOA of 5-30 HPS in out 5.6 Nissan engine

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4567039/Re:_Nissan_5.6_Castrol_GTX_vs_#Post4567039

It isn't a gimmick, you can clearly see the zinc and P numbers are higher than what would be allowed to get the SM/SN cert

where did you buy this?

Thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Gallon-Royal-Purple-5w30-HPS-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-35530/281756573025?epid=632757136&hash=item419a001d61:g:fzEAAOSwjVVVsN3k

I just get it on ebay, RP has an Amazon store but I have to pay state sales tax if I order from Amazon

Originally Posted By: Malo83
They are collecting dust on Wal Marts shelves
lol.gif

At 40 bones a jug for watered down chit, while Mobile 1 is on sale for 22.88, you are correct Sir.

Put it in my riding lawm mower mid summer of last year,,did ok,,stored it for the winter,,always took the battery out,,when I fired it up this spring,,ran for about 20 seconds when it started making a slapping noise,,quickly shut it off,,checked the oil,,,there was none!! It evaporated over the winter,,no leaks,,doesn't burn oil,,don't know where it went,,,no doubt this seriously shortened the life of that mower engine,,,I'll never use it again,,let alone put it in my car.

Just got back from my local Wally World. RP is priced at alittle over $40 bucks for the 5 quart jug. Lets just say, "RP will not get any of my hard earned money anytime soon!!!"

Dale

Till I see proof its IV oil its way to expensive RP. III/+ Oils are so good its hard to warrant price of top tier IV/V oils like amsoil. Although Amsoil can double factory intervals but im not type of person that can even think about running oil for 14k miles or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back