Walmart vs. Amazon Prime -- which one carries fresh stocks

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
If it's co-mingled, then buying the stuff marked as "sold and shipped by Amazon" doesn't give you any guarantee that you're getting an authentic product.

You're suggesting that Amazon buys fake/counterfeit items from 3rd-parties and sells them ? Give examples where Amazon has to buy products from someone other than the original manufacturer. Using the examples linked above, this one

https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-120903-Extended-Performance-0W-20/dp/B00JTUBTQG/

is "ships from and sold by Amazon". You think Amazon buys Mobil 1 oil from a shady distributor and not directly from Mobil 1 ?

This listing

https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-Extended-Performance-0W-20-Synthetic/dp/B01MZ83HZA/

is neither sold by Amazon nor shipped by Amazon. 13 'sellers' are offering it and while I'm confident most if not all of them are perfectly legit, you never know... Odds are these are retailers, some probably with B&M presence, who also sell on Amazon. They aren't likely to be buying direct from Mobil 1 either but instead have to go through a distributor.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Originally Posted by Gokhan
I was disappointed when I got an old stock of M1 EP 0W-20 from Amazon Prime, which didn't have SN PLUS and the latest Ford approval. I know they haven't changed the formula but still... I went to Walmart and got one that carries the latest approvals. I will not buy oil from Amazon Prime again unless I don't have an option.
When you placed the order with Amazon (to be delivered via their Prime service), what was the item you ordered and paid for, a jug of M1 EP 0w-20 SN+ or a jug of M1 EP 0w-20 SN? If you ordered/paid for the SN+ but got the SN, you should bring that to Amazon's attention so that they try to make it right. If you ordered/paid for the SN and got the SN, there is nothing they (Amazon) did wrong. They delivered (via Prime) the product you ordered and paid for; full stop. What am I missing here?
Nothing that I can see. As you state, if the M1 at Amazon was not advertised as SN+, then no harm, no foul. There seems to be an assumption made by the buyer that did not match reality.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
If it's co-mingled, then buying the stuff marked as "sold and shipped by Amazon" doesn't give you any guarantee that you're getting an authentic product.

You're suggesting that Amazon buys fake/counterfeit items from 3rd-parties and sells them ? Give examples where Amazon has to buy products from someone other than the original manufacturer.

Amazon does not buy counterfeit items. Amazon buys legit product and puts it into some ABC bin at their warehouse. But in addition to what Amazon bought, many third party sellers ship their products (some potentially fake) to an Amazon warehouse first so that it can be stocked there and available for quick Prime shipping when someone purchases it. Once it gets to the Amazon warehouse, it all goes into the same ABC bin, because theoretically it's the same product. And then regardless if you buy that item from Amazon or from another seller on Amazon that stores their goods in an Amazon warehouse, during packing/shipping process, that product is picked from the same ABC bin.

I'm not saying this happens with motor oil, but it's been known to happen with smaller electronics (batteries, memory cards, etc.)

Supposedly Amazon was supposed to fix this, but I don't know if they actually did.

I bought batteries from amazon. Pic showed energizer in package with expiration date and provided/shipped by Amazon ... but they sent me bulk Chinese batteries. Happened twice and when I tried to leave reviews, they kept blocking me. I was just saying very politely that the pic did not match the product i received ... but they kept blocking it and saying you cannot leave nasty comments. Bunch of cheats over there!

Same with oil. Not saying one oil is better or not but some sellers or Amazon can get old(er) oils at discount and they sell it and make more profit ...

I buy fair amounts from amazon but only buy stuff that %100 know what they look like or seen in stores. I bought other oil change related stuff that pic showed brass but when I got it was not brass!

Just be careful when you buy anything online without seeing or touching it
shocked2.gif
return if not like the picture and teach them a lesson
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by OilUzer
I bought batteries from amazon. Pic showed energizer in package with expiration date and provided/shipped by Amazon ... but they sent me bulk Chinese batteries. Happened twice and when I tried to leave reviews, they kept blocking me. I was just saying very politely that the pic did not match the product i received ... but they kept blocking it and saying you cannot leave nasty comments. Bunch of cheats over there!

Same with oil. Not saying one oil is better or not but some sellers or Amazon can get old(er) oils at discount and they sell it and make more profit ...

I buy fair amounts from amazon but only buy stuff that %100 know what they look like or seen in stores. I bought other oil change related stuff that pic showed brass but when I got it was not brass!

Just be careful when you buy anything online without seeing or touching it
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif

The problem being Amazon almost always block a constructive negative criticism. They blocked my last one on a product that I just stated the truth on it didn't live up to its three year warranty.

Some light perusing of this page on Mobil's website: https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-mobil-advantage/mobil-1-modern-engines/lspi-protection

...Reveals something that is germane to this conversation I believe:
"4. Mobil 1 motor oils are so advanced that they have met the API SN Plus performance standard since 2010."

So there is no difference between the engine oil contained within the two jugs purchased by the OP.

It_is_the_same_product.

I am struggling here, really struggling not to draw conclusions about what's going on with the OP. Maybe he can more clearly explain how he believed the transaction should have played out?

And what exactly it is he believes Amazon should be doing to proactively prevent the same sorts of transactions from occurring in the future??

That would really help me understand this whole kerfuffle.

grin2.gif

If you return too much stuff, they'll just cancel your account.
smile.gif

People need to differentiate Amazon from Amazon marketplace sellers. Amazon (direct) isn't selling other retailer's closeout stuff. That's laughable !! Years ago, Walmart got the bad rap, being accused of selling "seconds" or secretly-lesser quality items through some conspiracy with (insert the name of many different big-name companies) and now Amazon gets the bad rap ? Please....

O
People need to differentiate Amazon from Amazon marketplace sellers. Amazon (direct) isn't selling other retailer's closeout stuff. That's laughable !! Years ago, Walmart got the bad rap, being accused of selling "seconds" or secretly-lesser quality items through some conspiracy with (insert the name of many different big-name companies) and now Amazon gets the bad rap ? Please....

We all know Wal-Mart sells counterfeit Mobil 1.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Zee09

We all know Wal-Mart sells counterfeit Mobil 1.
smile.gif

We have heard stories about people getting "Mobil 2" there!
;^)

So you are complaining about what the bottle looks like? You admit the oil is the same, so why do you care?

Originally Posted by Pinoak
Walmart for me. If they don't have it you can usually order it for free pick up.

Me too, I order $35 or more and have it shipped to my house in 2 days, for free. No Prime, no membership fees, what's not to like?

Originally Posted by tmorris1
So you are complaining about what the bottle looks like? You admit the oil is the same, so why do you care?

BITOG OCD at its finest.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Doing it wrong

Supposed to call Amazon and complain and they'd probably refund you at least 50%

Originally Posted by Leo99
This is for your 85 Corolla?

LOL

I'll bet they give it to you...

Originally Posted by BJD78
Exactly, it's not like the engine is going to notice one way or another.

Yep. + 100000000. Why loose sleep over an oil that is 9 months older than 'fresh' syn oil....

And for the record: Amazon is a excellent play to shop online. I've stopped going to Wal-Mart, not worth the hassles of parking and waiting in line.

Amazon does not buy counterfeit items. Amazon buys legit product and puts it into some ABC bin at their warehouse. But in addition to what Amazon bought, many third party sellers ship their products (some potentially fake) to an Amazon warehouse first so that it can be stocked there and available for quick Prime shipping when someone purchases it. Once it gets to the Amazon warehouse, it all goes into the same ABC bin, because theoretically it's the same product. And then regardless if you buy that item from Amazon or from another seller on Amazon that stores their goods in an Amazon warehouse, during packing/shipping process, that product is picked from the same ABC bin.

I'm not saying this happens with motor oil, but it's been known to happen with smaller electronics (batteries, memory cards, etc.)

Supposedly Amazon was supposed to fix this, but I don't know if they actually did.

Okay, we're getting things narrowed down now
laugh.gif
What you're referring to are the "Sold by 'marketplace seller', fulfilled by Amazon". Only comment I can make on that, and I've never been inside an Amazon warehouse, is that I would think Amazon would actually keep these things separated contrary to you saying they all get dumped in "ABC bin". In fact, I doubt they dump them all together and keep these separated for logistical reasons alone. Maybe they don't though....

grin2.gif

If you return too much stuff, they'll just cancel your account.
smile.gif

Didn't know that. Good to know!

I don't like to return stuff in general. That's why I limit my online shopping unless I know exactly what I am buying. I never buy any clothing online. I bought a brown pants many years ago and it has some purple or maroon mixed in
crazy2.gif
it's still hanging in the closet with tags on. I may use it for yard work or if go to disco
shocked2.gif
banana2.gif

As I explained before, M1 EP 0W-20 is not sold by Amazon according to their website. The link for it is hidden. Amazon Marketplace sells it for a whopping $42.88. I found the "dusty, hidden" link that no one knows about on Google. The downside was that I got a year-old jug because the stock is not circulating because of the hidden link. Sure, being one of the oil-experts here, I knew long ago that it was claimed by Mobil 1 to be the same oil as the new, SN PLUS version but I wanted to get a fresh jug because Mobil 1 frequently updates their base oil under the API BOIG (base-oil interchangeability guidelines). Also, if they had made the GF-6 transition, I would still be getting this GF-5 jug from Amazon's forgotten-stocks corner in their warehouse.

It's always nice to go to a store and see what you're getting before you buy it. Someone created a thread here the other day that the 5 L Motul jug he bought online seems to have much less than 5 L of oil in it. You can even compare the date-code stamps on the jugs before you buy if you care, like when buying milk. I know most people even don't look at the dates on the milk jugs.

And don't even get me started on online dating.
wink.gif

Back