Walmart vs. Amazon Prime -- which one carries fresh stocks

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
People need to differentiate Amazon from Amazon marketplace sellers. Amazon (direct) isn't selling other retailer's closeout stuff. That's laughable !!
Actually, often times the stock is co-mingled with other sellers, so you don't really know whose stock you are going to get, even if you buy the one that says "sold and shipped by Amazon." The only thing you are really gaining by buying items marked as "sold and shipped by Amazon" is the ability to return it with less hassle.

That is why, for example, I don't buy lithium-ion cells on Amazon. There are a lot of fakes out there supplied by some sellers co-mingled with authentic stuff, and you never know which one you are going to receive.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
They are both good companies. Sometimes it's best to look at what you are buying in a store and purchase it. This sight unseen is not always the best way to go.

Yup, that's the main problem with the online shopping -- what you get is not what you see.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
That is why, for example, I don't buy lithium-ion cells on Amazon. There are a lot of fakes out there supplied by some sellers co-mingled with authentic stuff, and you never know which one you are going to receive.

eBay (China Bay) is the place to go for lithium-ion cells.

Or the return hassle when you get less than expected … just happened on Walmart.com and the sub company blamed Walmart but I don't know … just ate the loss and not doing that again …

Originally Posted by Gokhan

Nah. There are a number of trusted li-ion online shops in the US. You might pay a little bit more for it, but you won't have to wait for weeks or months to receive it.

Nah. There are a number of trusted li-ion online shops in the US. You might pay a little bit more for it, but you won't have to wait for weeks or months to receive it.

Actually, on eBay, they sell aftermarket China cells but they ship them from the US, usually LA or NY. I get them in a couple days. They sell original OEM cells, too. Sometimes aftermarket cells are better than OEM but not always. I usually don't have problems with them.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by fdcg27
Scamazon is often the retail channel of choice for aging goods.
Walmart has enough volume in the common grades that the old stuff gets gone.
If it doesn't move, it gets clearanced and a lot of the wholesale clearance lots go where?

Scamazon ?????

Always buyer beware. Amazon is not infallible.

Amazon has always fixed whatever problem I've had on the day I discovered it. Damaged goods in transit, sale showing 3 jugs and only one arrived, they had the replacement and/or refund handled the same day, within about 7-10 minutes on the chat function.

Do you have an engine that actually requires SN PLUS, or were you just nitpicking? I'm sure Amazon would have rectified the issue, at their expense. But only posting here about it won't get you any resolution, nor any sympathy. Sorry you didn't like getting 4 month old oil, I'm sure it was spoiled and starting to curdle...

I have had a few problems with Amazon over the years, but their customer service has always taken care of them immediately. Always to my satisfaction.

People need to differentiate Amazon from Amazon marketplace sellers. Amazon (direct) isn't selling other retailer's closeout stuff. That's laughable !!
Actually, often times the stock is co-mingled with other sellers, so you don't really know whose stock you are going to get, even if you buy the one that says "sold and shipped by Amazon." The only thing you are really gaining by buying items marked as "sold and shipped by Amazon" is the ability to return it with less hassle.

That's been a major problem with them in the past. They claimed they were cleaning it up, but it might still be a problem. That's why I won't buy Xenon bulbs from them, too much risk of getting fakes when they co-mingle things from other vendors that sell fakes. I did buy a book from them where it was about $20 and the regular hardcover was over $100 and the softcover I got should have been in the $40-$60 range. It turns out the book I got was meant to be sold in India only and explicitly said it wasn't supposed to be sold in the US. Otherwise the text is the same. I just kept it.

Amazon has a SERIOUS problem with counterfeit product, mainly due to the nature of their business model (they are really just a fulfillment platform). I would not trust my engine oil to Amazon.

Stick with Walmart or other vendors that deal directly with their suppliers.

If you end up buying from a marketplace seller because it's co-mingled, you aren't paying close enough attention. I know what you're referring to too. It will refer to the item being available from other sellers "but without Prime shipping" or similar but you have to explicitly select those .... and I never do. If Amazon gave the option for "do not show marketplace sellers", I would enable it !

If you end up buying from a marketplace seller because it's co-mingled, you aren't paying close enough attention. I know what you're referring to too. It will refer to the item being available from other sellers "but without Prime shipping" or similar but you have to explicitly select those .... and I never do. If Amazon gave the option for "do not show marketplace sellers", I would enable it !

You're not getting it.

If it's co-mingled, then buying the stuff marked as "sold and shipped by Amazon" doesn't give you any guarantee that you're getting an authentic product.

You're not getting it.

If it's co-mingled, then buying the stuff marked as "sold and shipped by Amazon" doesn't give you any guarantee that you're getting an authentic product.

You have to look at the item screen. If it says "Sold By" then it will be commingled stock. If it says "Shipped and Sold By" then it's coming from the sellers location.

Originally Posted by PimTac
You have to look at the item screen. If it says "Sold By" then it will be commingled stock. If it says "Shipped and Sold By" then it's coming from the sellers location.
Yeah, I wish it worked like that.

I was disappointed when I got an old stock of M1 EP 0W-20 from Amazon Prime, which didn't have SN PLUS and the latest Ford approval. I know they haven't changed the formula but still... I went to Walmart and got one that carries the latest approvals. I will not buy oil from Amazon Prime again unless I don't have an option.

When you placed the order with Amazon (to be delivered via their Prime service), what was the item you ordered and paid for, a jug of M1 EP 0w-20 SN+ or a jug of M1 EP 0w-20 SN?

If you ordered/paid for the SN+ but got the SN, you should bring that to Amazon's attention so that they try to make it right.

If you ordered/paid for the SN and got the SN, there is nothing they (Amazon) did wrong. They delivered (via Prime) the product you ordered and paid for; full stop.

What am I missing here?

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
When you placed the order with Amazon (to be delivered via their Prime service), what was the item you ordered and paid for, a jug of M1 EP 0w-20 SN+ or a jug of M1 EP 0w-20 SN?

If you ordered/paid for the SN+ but got the SN, you should bring that to Amazon's attention so that they try to make it right.

If you ordered/paid for the SN and got the SN, there is nothing they (Amazon) did wrong. They delivered (via Prime) the product you ordered and paid for; full stop.

What am I missing here?
He posted a link to the product. The description does not mention either SN nor SN+.

Back