GM to begin prevention of Apple carplay and Android Auto use in new models beginning in 2024

Everyone running around with their hair on fire and have no idea what this new system will look like. Also love the same people swearing off GM again and again and again.

Automakers are investing a ton to have well connected, easy to use infotainment systems.

They don't need to keep up with Google, they're using Google. If the phone connects, they can make calls, use navigation, and some audio streaming apps, most buyers will be happy.

I am curious how Google will implement text ability with iPhones though. And before anyone rants about this, using this is nowhere near the same as "texting and driving".
Not really - there not using Android Auto. They will be using whatever version GM and Google agree on - at whatever price GM charges its customers to use.

So yet one more user interface - which means few will be interested.

The success of Android is that its a more or less open system. IOS is closed, but its success is based on almost anyone can develop for it and get there stuff on the App store. Open always wins. GM/Google closed system will not win - IMHO. Guess we shall see.

Reactions: GON
Everyone running around with their hair on fire and have no idea what this new system will look like. Also love the same people swearing off GM again and again and again.

Automakers are investing a ton to have well connected, easy to use infotainment systems.
Its a closed system with subscription services - ie pay GM money to use your own car. So you need one for your phone and one for your car - different systems, different interfaces. Most people spend an hour a day in their car, and several hours a day glued to their phone. Obviously its my guess, but I don't think people will be that happy.

"Instead of CarPlay and Android Auto, company officials tell Reuters that General Motors (GM) will design on-board navigation and infotainment offerings for future EVs in partnership with Google.

The move marks an acceleration of GM’s goal to make its vehicles a platform for digital subscription services. "

Well thinking about it another way, if GM is successful with it, it may push other carmakers to drop AndroidAuto and CarPlay and make their own tethering software. It only takes one to start a domino effect.

Lol they are trying to compete with Apple Carplay 2 except one will go obsolete faster and require a subscription.
Overcomplicated blOndStar garbage. Looking at you 02 Silverado with it's obsolete tech. At least you can remove it without bricking the truck.,

80% crying foul don‘t and won’t own a modern GM - others are engaged in confirmation bias because only they make wise choices …
I rent a dozen cars a year - and often think about what I read here …

Not really - there not using Android Auto. They will be using whatever version GM and Google agree on
😂😂😂
Why would Google reinvent something they already have ? It will be Android Auto underneath with a different "skin" on it so it looks just different enough.

Its a closed system with subscription services - ie pay GM money to use your own car. So you need one for your phone and one for your car - different systems, different interfaces. Most people spend an hour a day in their car, and several hours a day glued to their phone. Obviously its my guess, but I don't think people will be that happy.

"Instead of CarPlay and Android Auto, company officials tell Reuters that General Motors (GM) will design on-board navigation and infotainment offerings for future EVs in partnership with Google.

The move marks an acceleration of GM’s goal to make its vehicles a platform for digital subscription services. "

Google owns Waymo, I took a completely driverless Waymo to the airport Thursday night. If this is part of the system GM is working with Google on, it's a major game changer to the industry. Also, we're talking EVs here.

I'm sure there's a port injected 4 speed auto out there for the anti-tech crowd.

YoNf7rp.jpg

Google owns Waymo, I took a completely driverless Waymo to the airport Thursday night. If this is part of the system GM is working with Google on, it's a major game changer to the industry. Also, we're talking EVs here.

I'm sure there's a port injected 4 speed auto out there for the anti-tech crowd.

YoNf7rp.jpg
No discussion in the article about autonomous driving. Only that I had to sign in to all my paid subsciption services seperately - so one more interface, one more login used - likely more fees over time to use it. This is simply about GM making more subcription money - says so directly in the article - not about the car driving me to the airport. That I would pay for :)

moving away from phone projection to offer customers a more integrated solution that sees Google Maps, Google Assistant, Audible, Spotify, and other applications run natively on its cars' infotainment systems.

Remember the days when you still had the freedom of choice?
It was your call, and you where able to put in whatever you like in 15 minutes.
And those stereos didn't call home, or make you pay extra for anything.
Those where the days - now someone else makes those decisions for you.

Would you call that progress?
image_2023-04-09_145859437.png

Remember the days when you still had the freedom of choice?
It was your call, and you where able to put in whatever you like in 15 minutes.
And those stereos didn't call home, or make you pay extra for anything.
Those where the days - now someone else makes those decisions for you.

Would you call that progress?
View attachment 149671

All of that crap is terrible. You can keep the good ol' days.

I have been automating factories for coming up on 30 years. Most of what we do is custom. I have had the privilege of seeing some pretty cool "tech", its what I like most about my job. For me, tech has to provide a significant benefit to the owner or society - not just a convenience.

For example, a self diving car would be pretty cool tech. Realtime traffic in Google maps is pretty cool tech. A surgical robot thats less invasive is prety cool tech. A pacemaker that keeps someone alive is pretty cool tech.

Being able to stream any podcast I like while driving down the road is convenience, in a TV dinner sort of way. I can do the same thing without it if I just plan ahead, or listen to Radio waves with a simple antenna (which was real tech for its time)

Well … between OnStar and SXM - I’m out a buck a day …
Wow, maybe shop around. One of our cars seems to have XM for life, and the other was $99 for 3 years which is nice because I can stream online at the gym or in the shower ($99 is $127 with tax and fees lol). They also had $165 for 5 years but I was thinking it's getting too far out. $1/day seems like a lot of money it implies north of $300 a year. Maybe the OnStar has unlimited 4G and that's different...

Similar to those saying this is a deal breaker but was never a buyer
I'm a GM fanboy and always "dreamed" of getting a Tahoe--I see you have one. But when I think of Buick/GMC service that we obliged for the first 4 years of our car's life, I want to bang my head against a brick wall. If that hasn't changed here in 2023 (I bet it hasn't), I can't imagine spending north of 80k on a car and being treated like that. And we tried every dealer in a 50 mile radius they were all equally bad.

Oddly, I bought a used Lexus LS at a dealer in Westchester, NY, where Hilary would service her Suburban. They had stellar service and the facility was not even updated, it was like 1960. The Lexus had a couple things wrong with it that I handn't uncovered with the test drive, and foolishly, I hadn't done a PPI. They redid the front brakes with Lexus OE parts, and fixed the driver door actuator for free. that's easily $2000 at the dealership. I told my wife I'd DIY and she said why, you just bought this used car, call them and ask them to do it. I was thinking about our experience with Buick GMC at home, that's why.

Back