Vehicle shopping for son

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by maxdustington
GTI or Mustang. They'll be plenty of time for soccer mom mobiles in the future but he has to meet the soccer mom first.

Yep. Forget the idea of the RAV4. He's 18, not 58.

Why not tell him you're concerned about him making trips in that 30+ year-old Golf, and that you would like to get him something newer. Ask him what he would want.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
Originally Posted by skyactiv
Get him a VW Golf Alltrack or a Subaru Forester.
You can get a 2019 Alltrack with a 6 speed manual which is pretty cool.

i owuld chose a forester or outback. good gs mileage and reliable. and awd will be a plus if he is in the snow area. forester has great vision and is small and short enough to zip around town in.

Forget a Forester or Outback. He's not a lezbian.

Originally Posted by john_pifer

i owuld chose a forester or outback. good gs mileage and reliable. and awd will be a plus if he is in the snow area. forester has great vision and is small and short enough to zip around town in.

Not that there's anything wrong with that ...‚

Originally Posted by maxdustington
GTI or Mustang. They'll be plenty of time for soccer mom mobiles in the future but he has to meet the soccer mom first.

Yep. Forget the idea of the RAV4. He's 18, not 58.

Why not tell him you're concerned about him making trips in that 30+ year-old Golf, and that you would like to get him something newer. Ask him what he would want.

Actually, he's 16 and will turn 17 in a few months. He is not too hot on the RAV4. Right now a Mazda 3 seems most likely. You suggest I should talk to him about what he wants. What do you think I have been doing?

Originally Posted by vavavroom
he would only ever choose a hybrid when buying new. I know that much from our conversations about cars.

I'd wonder why he's leaving non-hybrids out of the running. He won't be saving the planet with one only driving 1000 miles a year, and it takes lots of driving to make the mpg worth the extra cost.

crackmeup2.gif

First of all, make sure whatever decision you make he is ok with it, I think I knew some of my friends hated the car their parents force upon them and they just neglect them or trade it in the first pay check they got, defeating the purpose of the gestures. It doesn't have to be his dream car, but nothing like shoving a minivan on him when he wanted a sport compact, or a Buick SUV when he wants a JDM compact.

It doesn't have to be brand new either, consider how expensive insurance is, but a warranty and something that is reputable to be reliable (so he is not distracted on fixing it all the time) would be nice. Plus safety too.

Also a good alternative is to give him a reserve just in case the Gulf breaks down. $8000 for 4 years can fix a lot of problems, and cost about the same as new car depreciation, for example.

Your biggest cost would be insurance and depreciation, make sure you and your son are on the same page when choosing what to buy.

I got a new car when I went to college, I'm still driving it after 22 years and 260k miles. I am glad my parents and I picked the right car (base Integra instead of a turbo Eclipse, or a Ford Taurus).

Last edited:
My son got my old altima 2003 and a deer committed suicide on it. I babied that car and it was mint when he got it. When it was totaled the deer did the car a favor, he drives very well but is a slob and the inside was completely trashed. Being the great dad that I am I carefully combed the web for a month in hopes of finding some sort of Buick, maybe a very nice roadmaster but alas a mint condition Ford Taurus from the estate of an elderly gentleman made its way into my garage. The look on his face was before the "State Farm beige Betty " commercial, but I like to believe they stole my story lol.
in all seriousness, he's a great kid who's on a full ride baseball scholarship two states away and outside of the transmissions, the Vulcan 3.0 is a bulletproof engine and it had really good miles for the year. I was actually considering keeping it for myself. I wouldn't buy my kids a brand new car if I won the powerball, but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back