My son just bought his first new car

Congrats to your son, sounds like a practical person getting his first new car at 28!

I once belonged the the VT 251 club and tried to relocate there. Have VT Life magazine in green binders. Knew every Volvo indie from Bennington to Burlington. Memories 😂

Safe travels and enjoy the family!

Congrats to your son, sounds like a practical person getting his first new car at 28!

I once belonged the the VT 251 club and tried to relocate there. Have VT Life magazine in green binders. Knew every Volvo indie from Bennington to Burlington. Memories 😂

Safe travels and enjoy the family!
I hear you. I can't stand traffic or masses of people. Those are the main reasons that I left Florida.

Last edited:
I saw this one at the dealer this morning. The only Corolla in stock. View attachment 160704

Some say Toyota has the least amount of new vehicles available to purchase at dealerships.

I drove by a Toyota dealership here in Florida and I noticed they are spreading their inventory and parking them diagonally so the new inventory lot doesn’t look empty.

Last edited:
Amazingly, it was in transit and Junior apparently just lucked out and called when the car he wanted became available. He bought it for $400 below MSRP which doesn't sound good to us older guys but is not bad in todays world.

Regarding break in, there is really no good way to decelerate with a CVT transmission that I know of and I have about 100 miles of back roads and small towns before I get to the Interstate. I'm not really going to worry about it.
If its got a manual mode, just down shift a couple "gears" every 50 miles or so, take it up to 5k, let off and let the engine do some braking, hit the gas again, repeat a couple times and then go back to full auto. . Also you can down shift a couple gears and engine brake down some longer hills. If you drive normal, the car might spend 99% of its time below 2500 rpm.
I've only broke in two cars and did it like this and neither has consumed oil, but I assume some of the used cars we've owned had no special break in either, and didn't burn oil, so who knows...

I made room in my garage to store his new car out of the weather for the week.
1686583480465.png

Is a front plate required for the state that it will be registered in? If not maybe remove the front plate assembly.

I give my Corolla rental 2 thumbs up review for an all around a great car for the money. The hold feature was good for the hilly parts of Texas I was in.

CVT was good but sometimes theres a slight hesitation if climbing a tall hill (Balcones Canyonlands Preserve) area, rubber band effect but not too bad. Engine has more than enough power for the average person.

On an empty stretch of highway I took my rental Corolla up to 110 mph just to see how it rides at that speed….. very smooth ride.

My rental receipt of my Corolla that I drove 948 miles in 7 days.

IMG_5305.png

Last edited:
I rented to same car in Texas last week and drove 700 miles so I’m very familiar with the 2023 Corolla and have my Hertz rental receipt so nobody thinks I’m BS ing.

Love the soft ride / suspension with higher profile tires. Excellent brakes and gas sipping economy. Lots of interior room and very quiet at highway speeds (80-90mph) great car for highway cruising. Great purchase decision.

I was considering doing a BITOG review on my Corolla rental but few might be interested.

*** Edit ***

The only Con:
The rear headrests can not be removed from the seat. It’s one piece and I needed to fold both rear seats (60/40) forward so I can see 100% of the road. I don’t want a motorcycle hidden behind the headrest.
Base model ? Maybe the next level up gives you the split back seats that fold down .

Some say Toyota has the least amount of new vehicles available to purchase at dealerships.

I drove by a Toyota dealership here in Florida and I noticed they are spreading their inventory and parking them diagonally so the new inventory lot doesn’t look empty.
Went to out of town HYUNDAI dealer and had plenty of new vehicles . Including the E.V.s.

Back