Vehicle shopping for son

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I see it is it's a kid and you're paying. Get them something safe, reasonable to insure and something you don't mind getting messed up, because it will on or around a college campus.

Brand new car and college. Lucky kids for sure! I'm glad my kids have lower expectations.

Originally Posted by vavavroom
My son will turn 17 this summer. He has been driving on the road since turning 16 last summer. He's been driving his grandpa's '87 Golf since. That's the car he himself, with very little help from me, got going after the car had been in storage for years. Son's going off to university on the other coast this coming fall and I want him to have a new vehicle. He'll be out of my sight for months at a time and if he were driving a new vehicle in to him unknown territories it would make me feel better. The kid loves the outdoors and after looking at all offerings, I am leaning towards a RAV 4 Hybrid, which is going to be available this spring. It gets great gas mileage, has a nice interior, enough utility, and comes hopefully with Toyota reliability. I talked to him about a new car and he didn't seem very interested. He did say if someone gives him any new car, he'll take it. Going to uni means less time for tinkering and keeping an old hooptie running, and he knows it. Would any current RAV4 owner like to add any relevant information?

Drives Golf, likes outdoors. Go check VW Alltrack. Can get stick shift, great mpg, good handling, lot of space to move between dorm or apartments. Can make a baby to someone inside, all things college kid needs.

If you buy the car for him, then he will not be as careful as if he buy the car himself.
It is just human nature.

I know we love our kids but in most cases, we still need to teach him/her responsibility.

Originally Posted by RamFan
Cherokee being the standout for off-road ability, CX-5 the stand out for driving dynamics.

Probably correct about the Jeep, myth about the Mazda. We have a 2014 RAV4, daughter has a 2015 CX-5. Same trim level, same size engine. I've driven them back to back and for normal town, country, highway driving there is no noticeable difference in driving dynamics. Maybe if you wanted to drive hard on twisties or on track something would show up but who does that with a CUV? Cover the emblems and you couldn't tell them apart. The Mazda has push-to-start, auto lock/unlock and side warning lights in the mirrors that the RAV lacks. If someone has driven both and can tell me what I'm missing please speak up.

Dad doesn't want to send his son to the other side of the country in a 30+ year old car and I couldn't agree more. A new car with the manufacturer warranty certainly has a plus side for peace of mind.

I'll supply more information because most people are projecting their own experiences, worries and concerns beyond the question that I asked.
My son knows his 32-year-old Golf is not a good idea to drive on the East Coast for more than the obvious and unresolvable safety issues. Sure, he could buy a used car there, but I'd rather spend more on a new vehicle with full warranty on it. Why a small SUV? Mostly for the befit of a higher seating position but also for utility. My son goes backpacking, kite surfing etc, so more room is useful.
People worry about a new car getting beaten to blazes. The vehicle will be garaged at a friend's house a couple blocks from campus. My son will live at least initially on campus and get around by bike. Why a hybrid? He would not want anything else. He likes his two old cars because he believes in making use of vehicles until they reach their end of useful life, but he would only ever choose a hybrid when buying new. I know that much from our conversations about cars. As for the higher financial cost of the hybrid, it's a non-issue and not a priority. I will not just buy him the car without his compliance. I will take him car shopping under the pretence of wanting to replace our old Cherokee. If he likes the RAV4, or whatever vehicle it will be, I'll spring the question of whether he wants it or not on him after he has test-driven it.
The important thing I have gleaned from one of the comments is that the RAV4 may have a poor ride. That would make this vehicle a non-starter. I'll have to check what other smallish hybrid SUVs are out there.

Our 2014 doesn't have a plush ride but we've never considered it harsh, it's a CUV and shoudn't be expected to ride like a Camry. Any comments about older models ride and handling are invalid. The ride was recalibrated softer on the gen 4.4 for MY2015 I think, you're looking at gen 4.5 and it should be more in line with others in the class.

You've got things well in hand and you son sounds like a fine young man. You'd be buying the first year of a new generation, some people steer clear of that. When we bought the RAV typical complaints were minor stuff like not enough cup holders and where did the coin holder and sunglass holder go while Cherokees were having tranny problems, Subies were having alignment problems and Nissans were having general quality problems. Large people apparently found the RAV seats uncomfortable, we've found them suitable for 8 hour driving days. Hope my experience with a current RAV has been helpful.

i would focus more on college and less on the car. location is a huge factor...a new car in nyc or boston will be trashed in short order and not by him. if he is doing college properly he is studying something that leaves him little time to enjoy a new car. not all freshmen have on campus parking. a lavish new car might set him apart from classmates in a bad way. having a generous parent is a nice thing but i would hold off on any car, and get a used one in the end only if the student's circumstances permit.

In the OP's last post it sounds like they've got the situation pretty well worked out.

You might want to investigate buying the car wherever he's going to school. Using Pa as an example since that's where I'm from, sales tax is 6%, yearly registration is a fixed fee not based on value, and I never paid a doc fee. Over 4 years you might save a substantial amount if it's doable. Might be worth checking on.

Other than safety concerns the new car should help my kid having more time for things other than tinkering with his car. He loves working on cars but he would not want the car to consume much of his time, be it study time or spare time. He will still have the Golf to use when he visits, and he still has enough time to finish fixing up the '81 GTI that's also here.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
You might want to investigate buying the car wherever he's going to school. Using Pa as an example since that's where I'm from, sales tax is 6%, yearly registration is a fixed fee not based on value, and I never paid a doc fee. Over 4 years you might save a substantial amount if it's doable. Might be worth checking on.

Indeed, although if the car was registered in dad's name (and state) would it matter? Actually, if junior is in college, can dad still claim him? I don't recall the rules on this (I think my parents claimed me through my college career--too long to remember exactly, and it could be different now).

Originally Posted by vavavroom
I'll supply more information because most people are projecting their own experiences, worries and concerns beyond the question that I asked.
My son knows his 32-year-old Golf is not a good idea to drive on the East Coast for more than the obvious and unresolvable safety issues. Sure, he could buy a used car there, but I'd rather spend more on a new vehicle with full warranty on it. Why a small SUV? Mostly for the befit of a higher seating position but also for utility. My son goes backpacking, kite surfing etc, so more room is useful.
People worry about a new car getting beaten to blazes. The vehicle will be garaged at a friend's house a couple blocks from campus. My son will live at least initially on campus and get around by bike. Why a hybrid? He would not want anything else. He likes his two old cars because he believes in making use of vehicles until they reach their end of useful life, but he would only ever choose a hybrid when buying new. I know that much from our conversations about cars. As for the higher financial cost of the hybrid, it's a non-issue and not a priority. I will not just buy him the car without his compliance. I will take him car shopping under the pretence of wanting to replace our old Cherokee. If he likes the RAV4, or whatever vehicle it will be, I'll spring the question of whether he wants it or not on him after he has test-driven it.
The important thing I have gleaned from one of the comments is that the RAV4 may have a poor ride. That would make this vehicle a non-starter. I'll have to check what other smallish hybrid SUVs are out there.

When I was stationed in San Diego I made a few runs home to jersey in an EL Camino. I found having a pick bed very useful in my travels. My kids manage to accumulate guitar a few things that needed to taken out of the form and then brought back after the summer. That being said, If I were getting one of my kids a car to go to college on the opposite coast, I would look at what dealers are close and convenient to your done college and base my choices on what I find.

My kids are about the same age as your son. One in college and the other going next year. I took the oldest one to a new car show several years ago and he was getting bored after about 30 minutes! Cars and driving just don't seem to be a top priority anymore. Anyway, I did notice his taste in vehicles was somewhat different than my own. He had no interest in the smaller SUV's. They are so common amoungst the soccer mom crowd that they are like a modern day station wagon or minivan. He liked the Jeep Wrangler, of course, but wouldn't want one because that's what all the spoiled rich kids at school have. Liked the Toyota FR-S, but would have to be an automatic! At the end of the show the 2 cars he could see owning (realistically, no Ferrari's or Lamborghini's) was a Corolla (in white) or a 4Runner. I get liking the 4Runner, but a white Corolla is the definition of "Appliance"

Good luck car shopping and enjoy the hunt!

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by AZjeff

Indeed, although if the car was registered in dad's name (and state) would it matter? Actually, if junior is in college, can dad still claim him? I don't recall the rules on this (I think my parents claimed me through my college career--too long to remember exactly, and it could be different now).

10 years ago we claimed our daughter through college years and of course she remained on our insurance. Still your dependent. The other thing we did with both kids was register and insure the their first car in their name. Might have cost a bit more but got their ownership and insurance history started so their insurance rate started dropping sooner. Side benefit is any accident claims (we didn't have any) aren't on you.

My son's first car was a 1975 2002. He drove it for a year with no accidents or tickets AND he kept his grades up. He then moved up to my wife's X3 and she bought a CPO E90 328i. One year later she still pined after her X3 and she and my son decided to trade cars; he's had the 3er ever since. He walks or takes light rail to work, so it should last for some time.

Originally Posted by edyvw
vavavroom said:
Go check VW Alltrack. Can get stick shift, great mpg, good handling, lot of space to move between dorm or apartments. Can make a baby to someone inside, all things college kid needs.

But I don't wanna be a grampa yet! Shortly after my son goes off to university, I will be out of the country for about 3 months until spring next year. All the things that could happen while he's on his own! But he's a responsible kid. So thanks for the night terrors.

It's none of our business who pays for the car, nor how much is costs. If I could buy my daughter a new car before she goes to college next fall, I would.

I'd ask your son some what he'd like. A Rav4 Hybrid does seem a bit boring for a college male, but it would be practical. I'd check out a CX-5, or the new 3 hatchback AWD looks fun. I was thinking of a used, small SUV for my daughter. She'd rather have a car. So when the time comes, we'll be used-car shopping.

Get him a VW Golf Alltrack or a Subaru Forester.
You can get a 2019 Alltrack with a 6 speed manual which is pretty cool.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Get him a VW Golf Alltrack or a Subaru Forester.
You can get a 2019 Alltrack with a 6 speed manual which is pretty cool.

i owuld chose a forester or outback. good gs mileage and reliable. and awd will be a plus if he is in the snow area. forester has great vision and is small and short enough to zip around town in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back