Valvoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: addyguy

I agree about Fram filters, they work just fine. People are stupid about them on here.......

I don't think I am stupid. I used Fram orange, until I saw one cut open in person. That ended it for me, right then and there.

What something looks like has absolutly no bearing on how it performs. Just like oil colour means nothing.

You're not stupid, but your reason for not using a Fram is.

I agree about Fram filters, they work just fine. People are stupid about them on here.......

I don't think I am stupid. I used Fram orange, until I saw one cut open in person. That ended it for me, right then and there.

What something looks like has absolutly no bearing on how it performs. Just like oil colour means nothing.

Would you buy a house made of Cardboard and glue instead of wood and nails? Would you buy a car made out of plastic soda bottles and tin foil? You could make both of them look pretty, but neither of them is going to perform well. We've seen USED Fram filters that are destroyed. What you are saying essnetially boils down to something like having a giant nail in your tire, but shrugging and saying it's fine because it still looks like it can do thejob because there is still air in the tire.

Last edited by a moderator:

WHAT? So construction materials used, fit & finish, general quality control, don't mean anything to you as long as the item in question works?

Uh, yeah.

I don't buy a filter for it's 'fit and finish', and whether it looks nice on an engine. I buy it so that it works, like you said. Frams do the job they are supposed to, and do it for millions and millions of cars.....

Uh, yeah.

I don't buy a filter for it's 'fit and finish', and whether it looks nice on an engine. I buy it so that it works, like you said. Frams do the job they are supposed to, and do it for millions and millions of cars.....

Why do you have a Purolator on your car then? :)

Nice catch! Hehehehe...I was wondering if someone would see that.

Place I get my OC uses Puro's. I'm not a 'die hard' Fram guy. I don't absolutely go out of my way to use them. I just don't like the 'anti-Fram' hype that is on here, and not based on fact.

Fram filters are used on millions of cars, are (I think) the number 1 selling filter in NA, and the roads are not littered with dead engines from Fram filters.

I've personally used them more often than not in my 15 years of driving, and have never had a problem. Yes, the end-caps are fibreboard, but there is absiolutely no factual evidence that this is sub-standard filter material - people just don't like the 'look' or 'idea' of fibreboard end-caps, so they just say the filter is bad.

Perhasps there are some examples of Frams failing, but it's just like the PZ sludge story - there are more of them out there, so the failures are more visible. Every other filter, at some point or another, has had a failed filter, but folks don't talk about those, b/c it's 'cool' on here to hate Fram.

I don't get it one bit. You are obviously one of those "Good enough" people. What do you mean "Factual evidence"? What the heck do you NEED to believe that carboard has no place in oil filters as endcaps? Heres a test. Pull the endcaps off a fram filter, than try to pull them off a purolator filter. Which is harder to do? DING DING DING, Purolator. When you try to damage the encap, rip tear, whatever, which is easier? Fram or purolator? *GASP* Purolator again! Now the ultimate test, put them in water and see which endcap comes apart easier. OOOH!! Cardboard FRAM loses again!
33.gif

and the roads are not littered with dead engines from Fram filters.

Thats because they tow them to junkyards!

Fram sucks, I don't care what addyguy says.

I can get a Napa Gold (WIX) for my car for $4, and the junk Fram is more expensive at Canadian Tire.

Why on earth would I buy the lesser quality Fram for more $?

I don't understand the "if it works it's good enough".

I have a belt on right now that is missing one of two rivets that attach the buckle to the strap, it works(for now) it has for a while, but one of these days when I eat too many double cheeseburgers for lunch I know that it's all over for this poor belt.Now if I had both rivets in this belt i'm sure it could take the abuse.

I will not use fram filters now that i've seen the wimpy guts of them, matter of fact i've got two PH30's that were given to me with the purchase of my Caprice. If anyone wants them just pay for shipping and you can have 'em.

Originally Posted By: Hoosier_Daddy
Valvoline thread?

Yeah, back on track :D

Valvoline is good. I have a jug in my stash. It's an oil I've used for msot of my car maintaining life, with no issues.

I give up. The idiotic double-standard on this site is safe.

We fight non-stop against the rumour that Pennzoil is sludge-causing garbage with the fact that it delivers good results these days, while at the exact same time we say that Fram filters are garbage b/c people don't 'like' that they use fibreboard end-caps, even though they do their job fine.

You guys are incredible! I give up.

No, we give up. Unlike Pennzoil, which is a myth and not easily proven, the fact that FRAM filters are poorly assembled is FACT. YOU CAN SEE AND TOUCH IT. Why do you think NOONE except FRAM/Honeywell uses cardboard endcaps? YOU CAN SEE THEM WARPED and bent and broken in cut open filters! FRAMs might "get the job done" but for a cheaper price you can get a much better filter, tha t is excellent rather than mediocre. It's like buying a Skoda over a Fusion for the same price, it just doesn't make sense.

Compare to a Purolator cut open.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1612017&page=1

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1710166&page=1

How about this? THe FRAM Extraguard has the least amount of media surface area of ANY filter on the market. The cans are very thin compared to all other filters. The ADBV is Nitrile and seals very poorly against the easily warped cardboard endcaps. (Not to mention the fact that the endcaps warp). My question for you, is simply this.

If you can get a higher quality filter made with METAL endcaps, Silicon ADBV (that will actually seal) for the SAME PRICE, or LESS than the extra guard.... Why would you get the extra guard? FRAM filters are also made in china, or at least the ones I've looked at, all Purolators and NAPA Golds I've seen are Made in USA. Another strike. I just can't understand why anyone would settle for such a mediocre product when a much higher quality one can be had for the same price or less. It boggles my mind. Why would you pick cardboard over metal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back