Kirkland Synthetic vs. Valvoline Advanced Synthetic - 5w30 - Ford EB 2.0

My son has a Kuga (Escape) with a 2.0EB. When I change the oil at 5k I am astonished at the strong smell of gasoline coming from the oil. Never had an UOA done but my nose knows. Would not push it beyond 5k for sure.
Our 2016 Ford Fusion 2.0 is the same way, strong smell of gasoline. I've always changed the oil by 5,000 or less. I've got 80,000 miles on it, runs great.

Without getting deep into it, I plan on running KS oil in my wife’s car but noticed that Valvoline has their garage box oil 20% off. KS oil was 31$ for 10qts, Valvoline 12qts is 47$.

Her car is a 2015 ford edge 2.0EB and the motor is brand new, replaced under warranty under the Service bulletin for the coolant/headgasket issues.

Is the extra money worth it for the EB 2.0 over the cheaper KS oil?

KS oil is dexos 2 rated and the Valvoline is dexos 3.

Not sure if there is a benefit from one to the other with oil changes being around 5-6500mi. The span is just if and when I catch the OCI.

She drives pretty much all highway with average stop and go, non city driving. She uses top tier fuel if that matters or not

What is the sump capacity on her car? That’s typically what I use as a guide.

If it’s around 6 go for the 12 quart option. Around 5 the 10 quart option, etc.

Without getting deep into it, I plan on running KS oil in my wife’s car but noticed that Valvoline has their garage box oil 20% off. KS oil was 31$ for 10qts, Valvoline 12qts is 47$.

Her car is a 2015 ford edge 2.0EB and the motor is brand new, replaced under warranty under the Service bulletin for the coolant/headgasket issues.

Is the extra money worth it for the EB 2.0 over the cheaper KS oil?

KS oil is dexos 2 rated and the Valvoline is dexos 3.

Not sure if there is a benefit from one to the other with oil changes being around 5-6500mi. The span is just if and when I catch the OCI.

She drives pretty much all highway with average stop and go, non city driving. She uses top tier fuel if that matters or not
Give Triax oil a try . A Nice PAO base oil at a decent price

Just gonna throw out a differing point of view here… I say look at your investment portfolio and pick a company that you’re a shareholder of. Ex: if you hold stock in an S&P 500 index fund then XOM. $10 on an oil change here or there isn’t gonna change your life but growth of your portfolio can. Might as well try to butter your own bread when possible.
I've tried this and found great results. On my last oil change, I used:

6.1% Apple 5W-30
6.0% Microsoft 5W-30
3.0% Amazon 0W-20
2.5% NVIDIA 10W-30
1.8% Google 15W-40
1.7% Meta 10W-30
1.4% Tesla 5W-20
1.3% Birkshire 10W-30
1.0% Eli Lily 5W-30

And then I topped it off with some small cap HPL.

I've tried this and found great results. On my last oil change, I used:

6.1% Apple 5W-30
6.0% Microsoft 5W-30
3.0% Amazon 0W-20
2.5% NVIDIA 10W-30
1.8% Google 15W-40
1.7% Meta 10W-30
1.4% Tesla 5W-20
1.3% Birkshire 10W-30
1.0% Eli Lily 5W-30

And then I topped it off with some small cap HPL.
Looks like Vanguard VTI !

Give Triax oil a try . A Nice PAO base oil at a decent price
Keep this up and you are going to get your own meme like benjy did for Redline.

You seem to have somehow missed the 75-85% Group III:
Screen Shot 2024-01-31 at 1.45.53 PM.jpg

That’s old nice try tho , something more current will become available. But until then Triax is still the great PAO base oil money can buy .😂😎
Well, my barely literate friend, that settles it! You've made such a compelling case here, I have no choice but to reconsider my position. I will firmly grasp their scrotum with both hands and join you in embracing this incredible act of nutswinging! Tally-ho lads! watch for the pubes, they are hell to get out from between your teeth!
Tally-ho.gif

Well, my barely literate friend, that settles it! You've made such a compelling case here, I have no choice but to reconsider my position. I will firmly grasp their scrotum with both hands and join you in embracing this incredible act of nutswinging! Tally-ho lads! watch for the pubes, they are hell to get out from between your teeth!
View attachment 208092
I haven’t laughed that hard in a while. I thank you

I've been running SuperTech High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30 in my Honda Odyssey's for years. No issues at all.
The Dexos 1 Gen 3 certification adds extra confidence. The Kirkland Full Synthetic is the same oil as SuperTech Full Synthetic,
but it's a lower price. If it were me, I would use Kirkland full synthetic for all vehicles. Why overpay for oil?

Back