Valvoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
I understand what he is saying. Not saying YOU are stupid (maybe he is??) but the bashing it gets, kind of like the RP thing, but I love that
07.gif

but i ran frams and never had a problem with them either. To each their own.

Exactly. I'm not a complete jerk and calling fellow members on this site stupid.

Some members reaction to the use of Frams is not intelligent.

Originally Posted By: Big_Ed
And just out of curiousity, why do you not buy oil by the jug? Usually I find it cheaper in jugs.

I get it by the case at a discount from the parts store down the street. I grew up with the guy.....single quarts are easier for me to use.......

Seems like the super-tech filters are built better than frams in many ways for the price. So with that in mind, if I'm in a cheap mood, I'd much rather pick up a few STs than pay more for a fram. When I have the money and time I'll swing over to the parts store and grab some purolator or motorcraft filters.

Originally Posted By: glen242
I have used Valvoline VR1 10W30 in my 383 flat tappet stroker since I built it 4 years ago.

It has the correct amount of ZDDP for my flat tappet engine - 0.14/0.13.

IMHO, great oil at a good price.

my buddy who owns and operates a parts store sells a lot of the VR1 and he uses it in his Chevelle drag car, no need for it to be used in my roller V8s. It is great oil for that app.

I get the orange Frams and the STPs for $3 and the silver Tough Guard Frams for $5, I think the price is fine......

well FWIW we used fram orange can for about 7 years in our 60 unit bus fleet, thats a whole lot of filters, not one problem.
we now use wix because of a change in vendors (by me) wich is obviously better made, I would say fram are just average but better filters are out there for about the same price.

Valvoline is very good for a dino, but then again any oil that is API/SM rated will be fine for use with reasonable OCI's.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: lexus114
10W-40 by the case, and 3k OCI's...

Livin' in the 1970's, are we?

I agree about Fram filters, they work just fine. People are stupid about them on here.......

I beg your pardon?

The Fram-bashing that goes on here is not based on fact. It's a 'jump on the bandwagon' kind of thing.

This kind of reaction to a product makes some of the otherwise knowledgable people on this site look stupid when they do it.

Pretty sure the shoddy construction (save the highly overpriced extended guard) is based on facts.....and the terrible value they represent compared to better made-lower priced filters is based on facts.

"Don't hear much about Valvoline on the site."
???
IDK, maybe a little more reading is in order. I've seen quite a lot of discussions about Valvoline.

I've also used Valvoline for many years - actually many decades! Never had a problem with it. Back in the 70's/80's one engine we had(Nissan) was put in 3 different vehicles, and when the third vehicle was wrecked beyond repair the engine was still going strong. My estimate is the engine had over 300,000 miles on it. My parents and a sibling bought two nearly identical early 80's Nissan (Datsun) products new. We used FRAM orange can filters and Valvoline 30 weight. One car had 350,000 miles when it was sold the other had about 250,000 miles and both still ran well and used very little oil between oil changes.
Up until a few years ago I always used Fram filters. I have a Ford van in my driveway that has over 200,000 miles and for at least the first 140,000 miles I used Fram filters (mostly orange cans, but a few of the silver ones).

Over the last 40 - 50 years I've changed oil for a LOT of people - friends, family, etc. If you took the total miles of all these vehicles and added them together I'm sure it would add up to many MILLIONS of miles. 90 percent of them used FRAM orange can filters. Not one oil related failure. Lucky? Maybe, but that is a lot of miles!

That being said, I'm not going to say FRAM is a bad filter but I think there are better made filters for the same or less money.
I was told when I was young that Valvoline was "the best" so I always used it. About 10 years ago or so I decided to try some of the "other" brands. Right now I have a small inventory of Valvoline, Pennzoil Platinum, and Motorcraft oil in my garage. All excellent oils! I should have bought more of the Platinum. With rebate 1.00 a quart is hard to beat!

I used Valvoline 2 cycle oil in my dirt bikes in the mid 70`s. never had any problems with it.(sorry,but I still would not buy a fram filter)

Last edited:
I will agree that Valvoline is good oil. In fact, my previous oil change, and next ones are Maxlife blend. However, I will say that FRAM filters are complete crud, when compared to a Wix, Purolator, or Champion Labs. Seriously, cardboard endcaps, poor quality Nitrile ADBV? Have you SEEN dissected, used frams? They are practically destroyed, the center tube does not align with the endcaps, which allows unfiltered oil to pass through unhindered. I find it difficult to believe anyone could think that orange can frams are good quality. I'll stick with my Wix made NAPA Golds and Purolator PureONEs thank you very much.

And 10W-40 in all your cars? I have to agree that is kind of outdated. I used 10W-40 in my car for the first OC I did on it, and you know what? It had lots of valvetrain tappet noise. I switched to 5W-30 and the noise is gone. There isn't much reason not to use a modern 5W-30, unless 10W-40 or thicker is called for, or you live where heat might be a problem, such as in australia. Or you have a European car, for some reason they tend to like thicker oils.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was growing up in the late 80's, FRAM filters were considered like, high performance parts or something. lol Everyone used to Ohh and Ahh when they seen that orange and people would say stuff like "Nothing but the best goes on my car" in reference to using their oil filters.

I have no idea when that all changed, but it did... big time. They are now ridiculed and are the butt of jokes. I will say though, their Extended Guard filters are equal to the best out there. Pull one apart and see for yourself. Those are just as good as Wix and Pure One's, no question. I wouldn't hesitate to use one, in fact, I like them. But only them. Their lower filters are [censored].

Last edited:
Valvoline is an excellent oil. Synpower in the winter for my vehicles and white bottle for summer.

I believe there are a few members on here who had engine failure attributed to failed fram filters. bits of cardboard plugged up oil passages and stuff if I recall. Why take the risk? There are much more study filters for the same price or less as fram filters. It makes no sense. It's kinda like driving on bald tires because you haven't had a problem with them, versus buying new tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: rudolphna
I believe there are a few members on here who had engine failure attributed to failed fram filters. bits of cardboard plugged up oil passages and stuff if I recall. Why take the risk? There are much more study filters for the same price or less as fram filters. It makes no sense. It's kinda like driving on bald tires because you haven't had a problem with them, versus buying new tires.

I'd use Fram in a pinch if nothing else is available. But I agree in the sense that if you go out of your way a little bit you will get a better filter for cheaper.

I agree about Fram filters, they work just fine. People are stupid about them on here.......

I don't think I am stupid. I used Fram orange, until I saw one cut open in person. That ended it for me, right then and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back