Valvoline Synthetic At A Deep Discount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
The same people that won't except anything that doesn't say Valvoline as Valvoline are people that must have Charmin toliet paper and it's not a real AR unless it's Colt people.

Costco TP is better and Colt suxs. Go with Armalite or DPMS

When the PQIA did their big rundown of 5W30 synths back in 2013, they didn't do Car Quest but Synpower and NAPA were included.
Their VOAs were generally quite different, the biggest difference to my eyes was that Synpower's CCS viscosity at -30C was ~4330 mPa while NAPA's was ~5410. A spec that most people probably don't care about, but NAPA was 25% higher and I don't think that was just normal testing variation.
Based on my limited knowledge, I think this could mean that the Synpower has a different pour point depressant in an otherwise similar add pack. I think the fact that the NAPA has a slightly lower NOACK loss (11.1% to 11.6%) could support that thought, although the difference there is possibly within the measurement error range or close to it.

Honestly, just looking at the numbers in that table, it would be easier to claim that NAPA was the same as Royal Purple than Synpower.

http://pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Wow that was quick!
crazy2.gif

There's probably still some Amalie/Wolf's Head CQ oil on the shelf

But the new Valvoline CQ still won't be as cheap as Napa Synthetic, which goes on sale a couple times a year for $3-4/qt, and you're not restricted to buying 5 quarts (you can buy as many or as few as you wish), and you don't have to buy a throwaway tearolator, either.

Napa lets you buy any quantity of quarts, but 5 quarts of it and a Napa Gold filter (and some times even Platinum) is usually cheaper than the $25 that AAP charges for the CQ syn and Purolator special. Plus it's a better quality oil filter
smile.gif
49.gif

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
When the PQIA did their big rundown of 5W30 synths back in 2013, they didn't do Car Quest but Synpower and NAPA were included.
Their VOAs were generally quite SIMILAR, the biggest difference to my eyes was that Synpower's CCS viscosity at -30C was ~4330 mPa while NAPA's was ~5410. A spec that most people probably don't care about, but NAPA was 25% higher and I don't think that was just normal testing variation.
Based on my limited knowledge, I think this could mean that the Synpower has a different pour point depressant in an otherwise similar add pack. I think the fact that the NAPA has a slightly lower NOACK loss (11.1% to 11.6%) could support that thought, although the difference there is possibly within the measurement error range or close to it.

Honestly, just looking at the numbers in that table, it would be easier to claim that NAPA was the same as Royal Purple than Synpower.

http://pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Just noticed that I said exactly the opposite of what I meant in this post!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back