Which of these synthetics cleans best.pics

Was at advance auto .took pics back of bottles of fram synthetic,fram high mileage synthetic, Mobil 0w30,0w40, Mobil extended performance.
The fram synthetic says sludge protection .what does that mean? Would it clean as good as Mobil extended protection advertising cleans sludge in one oil change? I knew w 0w40 has esters in it. How about the 0w30? Fram synthetic?

Attachments

• IMG_20231019_204303.jpg
    IMG_20231019_204303.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20231019_204643.jpg
    IMG_20231019_204643.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 35
Don’t have much experience on high mileage oil but I’d say mobil 1 is a better overall product. both should be just fine ran at their recommended interval and should have the right amounts of detergent and dispersants to wash away old sludge and prevent formation of new. I ran fram oil a few times it’s on the level of super tech. If you can get it on sale with a free filter at advanced auto it’s an ok deal.

Don’t have much experience on high mileage oil but I’d say mobil 1 is a better overall product. both should be just fine ran at their recommended interval and should have the right amounts of detergent and dispersants to wash away old sludge and prevent formation of new. I ran fram oil a few times it’s on the level of super tech. If you can get it on sale with a free filter at advanced auto it’s an ok deal.
“Detergents” in oil don’t “wash away old sludge”.

But then again with this apparently imaginary sludge and deposits, imaginary cleaning works fine.

Our 2021 Merc GLC300 specifies M1 ESP. Something to do with the cat filter on these and similar late models. Not sure what it does but "approved" oils/weights are very specific for this vehicle. Been buying it at Autozone (5 qts container) in a discounted package deal including an STP premium filter. Have seen the quart containers for over $15 each when this oil first arrived on the market. Unfortunately, I have to buy two, as Merc needs 6 quarts, so store the remaining 4 qts for next year.

Cleaning has obviously been the topic of 2023. I think it's important to keep in mind that keeping an engine clean isn't just the sole job of AN's or esters. Cleaning is different than keeping an engine clean. You need a good VI (or less of), good ashless dispersants and very high quality base oils with good AO's and low Noack to keep the oil from forming deposits.

"...a good combination of antioxidants and detergents can significantly reduce the formation of oxidized species that create sludge, and a balanced mixture of detergents can reduce deposit formation on the pistons. Finally, optimized dispersants can solubilize sludge, preventing its separation from the lubricant." -- Keith Howard, Lubrizol

Last edited:
Motor medic/Rislone? They used to sell this and other stuff by the quart to clean your engine just prior to oil changes, maybe they still do. More meant for abused and abandoned engines that are coked up and lying in a field I believe.

Back