Used Truck shopping...maybe

I guess we are going to have a disagreement that the Ridgeline is a real truck. What's the towing capacity of that thing? ANd the payload? While the Chevrolet is advertised to tow nearly 10,000 pounds-I will concede the real number is probably closer to 8,000 after payload concerns.

The Ridgeline is my 2nd truck. 5K and 1500 payload in the bed. Perfect for what I use it for as a second truck. I tow my 21 foot boats with it.

When the payload and hitch are air (which is what most of them carry around 80+% of the time)
Ill take this vehicle over any half ton anytime anywhere on the road.

My 16 year old titan is rated at 9500 (prob same as your 2018 truck) , and I towed that with it 2 weeks ago - pictures in this thread.

What do you tow?

Which truck do you have as a second or backup truck?

Last edited:
And here we go...

Truck owners who will never consider a Ridgeline...

And Ridgeline owners who will try to convince everyone and anyone that they are better than a 1/2 ton truck.

There are business cases for both. Trying to convince each other is, well, not going to be fruitful.

I guess we are going to have a disagreement that the Ridgeline is a real truck.
Sure it is. Trucks are made to all different capacities and sizes for different uses. from a Polaris Ranger to an F450 crew dually and beyond. Ridgelines are not full size and do not need to compete with full size.

And here we go...

Truck owners who will never consider a Ridgeline...

And Ridgeline owners who will try to convince everyone and anyone that they are better than a 1/2 ton truck.

There are business cases for both. Trying to convince each other is, well, not going to be fruitful.

In one thread CKN says something about me not owning a truck and people making comments with no experience.

Yet he makes a comment about something he doesnt own and has no experience with.

Here is it towing a 5K boat. It did great and got better mileage and was more comfortable than my half ton on the same route with the same weight.

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 3.23.37 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 3.23.20 PM.jpg

Nothing better than a old school Toyota pickup for me, and I’m talking mid 80s through 1994. Now if your going to tow some weight long distance this may not work for you. There are some nice ones out there and I’m always on the look for them. I prefer the 89/94 4x4 with the 22Re myself. Currently have a 1990 4x4 single cab and it’s just a great truck

The Subaru Baja is being introduced as a 2021 model after a long hiatus. It’s a truck. The old, discontinued Baja was also a truck. As for frame on body versus unibody being a defining characteristic, that horse already left the barn with SUVs.

In one thread CKN says something about me not owning a truck and people making comments with no experience.

Yet he makes a comment about something he doesnt own and has no experience with.

Here is it towing a 5K boat. It did great and got better mileage and was more comfortable than my half ton on the same route with the same weight.

View attachment 29625View attachment 29626

With all due respect-you can tow a 5th wheel with a Hyundai Accent. But what is the rated towing capacity and payload? If you uploaded that picture-and didn't know those numbers from your memory-that's a whole another issue. Because it's something you should know.

I see RVs towing a Hyundai Accent all the time. The symmetry here does not escape me.

With all due respect-you can tow a 5th wheel with a Hyundai Accent. But what is the rated towing capacity and payload? If you uploaded that picture-and didn't know those numbers from your memory-that's a whole another issue. Because it's something you should know.

5000 and 1584

...and (for the second time) you tow what?

5000 and 1584

...and (for the second time) you tow what?

I have towed a 5,000 pound -30 foot travel to the East Coast and back. From Utah to Las Vegas, Arizona, Texas through the South, down and up both coasts in Florida-up the Eastern Seaboard to Maine and then back to Utah-so yea-a little bit of towing. Just traded in that 8 year old trailer-on a more/less identical replacement and just completed two 1,700 mile trips in August/early September. I am very experienced towing through high mountain passes-based on the geography near me. (I-80, I70, etc.)

How would you hitch up a 5th wheel to a Hyundai Accent exactly?

Have a little humor..............people tow over their payload and towing capacity-that was the point. Just like the Ridgeline-he is right up against his tow rating-with that boat.

Attachments

• thumbnail1.jpg
    thumbnail1.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 15
I have to ask: if it doesn't need an endorsement on your license... is it really a "real" truck? Or is it just a faux one?

LOL, full on BITOG pickup thread.

Pick the truck you like best in your budget, that's in good condition, and never expect a truck to be a great deal.

I am dreading replacing my 2002 Ranger whenever that time comes. Probably going to look for the best 2011 I can find when it gets janky.

Well that escalated quickly. I like my 1 ton for the simple fact it provides a lot of stability when towing 8000 lbs and 35 feet of trailer. Plus I'm never over payload. I will say that i find myself falling in love with the 1997 Z71 I bought for my son.
Uncle Dave, there are some things that are truly better about modern trucks, not agreeing with CKN. Not sure that would ever happen.But my 02 3/4 ton had 4 speed auto and that was it. The 17 1 ton has hill start assist, grade breaking, 6 speed, integrated brake controller, backup camera, VVT, trailer sway control. The 02 got the job done. The 17 does it not breaking a sweat and I am way more relaxed while doing it.

Attachments

• 20200730_120923.jpg
    20200730_120923.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Oh - I Love all the new stuff, not a luddite here.
The ridge is loaded with all the driver assist tech.
The new transmissions are killer.

Its all incremental though when it comes to chassis and driveline manners. Its tweaks to the same basic architecture. Solid axle half ton 4x4's set up to tow 10K aren't magic carpets unloaded in the right lane.
When we get to half tons with IRS we'll see some real ride improvements.

Nothing better than a old school Toyota pickup for me, and I’m talking mid 80s through 1994. Now if your going to tow some weight long distance this may not work for you. There are some nice ones out there and I’m always on the look for them. I prefer the 89/94 4x4 with the 22Re myself. Currently have a 1990 4x4 single cab and it’s just a great truck
Agreed. I have had 3 Toyota Pickups. 89,90,93; all with the mighty 22RE.
The white 1993 4WD base truck was the 1st new vehicle I ever bought.
Over 15 years ago I sold (pretty much gave) it to my BIL after i got the Tundra.
It has been totaled twice and is still in service. Probably 450K miles on it; ODO died many years ago with 350K on the clock.

Once I had 50 rolls of sod on it. They weigh 50# each... Plus 500# of riders in the cab.
Oh yeah, it's probably not a real truck, right?

Back