Used Truck shopping...maybe

Yeah the 44 is marginal, I dont do a lot of low range crawling, and added a finned cooler w more capacity right away so maybe thats part of the reason Ive been ok- maybe I just got lucky(knocking on wood) , A super 44 would be the min they should have used, but still ...

Have you ever put a different rear end in one?

You are dead nuts on about performance parity - I have to explain this all the time to people, and its one of the reasons Im still ok with a 16 year old truck - its performance is on par with all but the very biggest new stuff. The power has to be in the 4 Valve head.

What do you charge for labor on a manifold change?

best sir !

UD

I've looked into putting a Dana 60 in one, But couldn't get anyone to make custom axles with the ABS reluctor flanges. Strange sells new bare Dana 60 center sections. The plan was to use the Nissan Dana 44 axle tubes inside some cut down Dana 60 axle tubes & machine some adaptor rings/sleeves & weld the D44 axle tubes in at 2 places each.
Probably be cheaper to use a used D60 out of a 2500/3500 Express/Savana or a Econoline 250/350, But the Axle/ABS issue put a halt to the project.

Servicing the differential probably helps a lot, The ones I see have 120-180K miles & have never been serviced. The oil comes out looking like Metallic Silver Paint ;)

I charge $400 labor per side on the Manifold/Converters, And charge $400 to weld both up on the vehicle.....Which I've been quite successful doing. They usually blow a small chunk out on each side with a couple small spider cracks. After I get the heat shields off, I plug both upstream O2 sensors, Start the engine & run it at 2000RPM for a few minutes to preheat the manifolds, Run a stainless brush over the area.....Then MIG weld them.

I had a 94 Chevy Silverado 2500 I bought fully loaded brand new. I ran the wheels off of it. I gave it to my parents so they could trade it for some drywall work. It had just over 300,000 miles with nothing more than normal wear and tear items and transmission replace under warranty.

I was given their 05 GMC Sierra 1500 base model they got from my uncle. I love this truck!! 4.3 liter Vortec, no AC, hand roll up windows, and a 5 speed manual NV3500 transmission. The only major modifications I made was installing a drop spindle/short leaf blocks to raise it a few inches. Just a few months ago I junked the crazy high 3:23 open diff gearing and replaced it with a TruTrac and 3:73 gears. It's a little rough in the 100deg heat but no biggie as long as I hydrate.

I also just finished up with big repairs a few months back. Heater core, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, resurface flywheel,
and rear main seal that was leaking since I got it.

I am of the opinion that a decent truck is going to set you back some serious cash. I also have a strong opinion that Toyota and Honda are the top ones to buy for reliability and less cost of ownership. GM, Ford, and Dodge are just not as reliable.

And as for the Honda Ridgeline, It's a really nice piece of gear. I don't own one nor have driven one. I have seen it enter and finish a Baja 1000. So yes it's a contender.

I did see that one and it looks nice, but its quite old. Sometimes you can get a really new V10 truck for cheap.

https://cars.ksl.com/listing/6674635 for example. Late model year highish miles for the year is no problem for the V10.

That is a great price for that truck in the current inflated used truck pricing market. Issue I see is pictures taken in a parking lot, not at a residence. Always a red flag for me when i see that. Engine bay just detailed- Elko is land of dust and sand, just sitting the truck engine bay will be dusty. With 190k miles, it will be filthy. Sense we have a car flipper here (or for our Candian friends- a curber).

hat is a great price for that truck in the current inflated used truck pricing market. Issue I see is pictures taken in a parking lot, not at a residence. Always a red flag for me when i see that. Engine bay just detailed- Elko is land of dust and sand, just sitting
Interesting observations. I see a truck that was just detailed to be put up for sale. Maybe he has permission to leave it in that parking lot with the 4 For Sale signs on it. You never know without really checking it out. This is the hard part of used truck shopping, looking at 12 and buying 1 if your lucky.

Interesting observations. I see a truck that was just detailed to be put up for sale. Maybe he has permission to leave it in that parking lot with the 4 For Sale signs on it. You never know without really checking it out. This is the hard part of used truck shopping, looking at 12 and buying 1 if your lucky.

That truck is in the middle of no where Nevada. Just sayin. But it looks like it sold.

With all due respect-you can tow a 5th wheel with a Hyundai Accent. But what is the rated towing capacity and payload? If you uploaded that picture-and didn't know those numbers from your memory-that's a whole another issue. Because it's something you should know.

Speaking of knowing your towing limit...when you said "nearly 10K pounds" in the previous post did you mean 9100 or about 9K LBS? You have a 4x4 crew cab 5.3 with a 3:42 and a short or standard bed right?

Cool trailer.
5K is super light for a 26.
Whats the tongue weight wet?
I had a 19ft toy hauler that clocked in at 7700LB when loaded w 2 quads and wet until I got my motorhome then I got off it.

Got any picts of the two hitched? Did you use a load equalizing hitch?
I'm curious to see the sag.

Curious what's your hitch of choice?

UD

Be patient. That is all I can say. It took me two years to find my 02 2500hd and looked on and off for 3 years for my 17 3500hd. It is out there man. I have fallen in love with the 17 and I am weird but teared up when the 02 left. Lots of family memories in that truck.

UD

UD I have an Equalizer E-2. Sway control and weight distribution. 800 lbs bars. I had to tow without them once with the 1 ton. I couldn't really tell. Just a bit of sway. I know you didn't ask me, but I like talking about that stuff.

Speaking of knowing your towing limit...when you said "nearly 10K pounds" in the previous post did you mean 9100 or about 9K LBS? You have a 4x4 crew cab 5.3 with a 3:42 and a short or standard bed right?

Cool trailer.
5K is super light for a 26.
Whats the tongue weight wet?
I had a 19ft toy hauler that clocked in at 7700LB when loaded w 2 quads and wet until I got my motorhome then I got off it.

Got any picts of the two hitched? Did you use a load equalizing hitch?
I'm curious to see the sag.

UD

It's a short bed-with the 3.42. I am never really concerned about the max number (it's either 9,100 or 9,600 - not sure)-because I believe the "sweet spot" for these trucks is between 5,000 and 6,000 pounds.

With a properly adjusted WD hitch the truck should be raised no more than 1" in the front. I have had two other trucks (a 2011 Silverado, and 2012 Sierra, and now my current truck) and none had any rear end squat-this is on stock suspension BTW. The "Equalizer" is my hitch of choice. Tongue weight is 574 pounds.

Pushing 8,000 pounds doesn't make for a pleasant towing experience-IMHO.

The only "mod" I have done for towing is that the stock tires went 30,000 miles. I just replaced them with a tire I have used before-The Nexen Roadian HP (XL rated) tire. It's a little better for towing over a "P" rated tire. Im not a fan of A/T tires for my truck.

Last edited:
UD I have an Equalizer E-2. Sway control and weight distribution. 800 lbs bars. I had to tow without them once with the 1 ton. I couldn't really tell. Just a bit of sway. I know you didn't ask me, but I like talking about that stuff.

I always like hearing what guys use.

Dave

It's a short bed-with the 3.42. I am never really concerned about the max number (it's either 9,100 or 9,600 - not sure)-because I believe the "sweet spot" for these trucks is between 5,000 and 6,000 pounds.

With a properly adjusted WD hitch the truck should be raised no more than 1" in the front. I have had two other trucks (a 2011 Silverado, and 2012 Sierra, and now my current truck) and none had any rear end squat-this is on stock suspension BTW. The "Equalizer" is my hitch of choice. Tongue weight is 574 pounds.

The only "mod" I have done for towing is that the stock tires went 30,000 miles. I just replaced them with a tire I have used before-The Nexen Roadian HP (XL rated) tire. It's a little better for towing over a "P" rated tire. Im not a fan of A/T tires for my truck.
Well I have to eat crow CKN...i agree with you on the Equalizer.

Reactions: CKN

I recall you saying you had trouble with a CPO truck is that one of those two or a diff one altogether?

As the weight goes up it usually gets less pleasant as overheads shrink.
If none had any squat w 575 I'm curious why you felt the need for the equalizer, unless stability was a real problem.

The max tow weight is basically the same as my 04 5 speed titan @ 9500 so 14 years of modernization doesnt really buy much there, but thats not a surprise as the underpinnings and power are about the same.

Do you have another vehicle? Or is the truck your main ride?

No picts?

On the tires I get the choice, and would make the same choice if I had the same flexibility.
I often tow off-road vehicles pretty far off-road and road only tires get marginal even w 4wd.
Ill also tow to the lakes in the desert then go on a 4x4 run on the same trip, add to that I need a 3 peak mountain tire to bypass chain control for a few months a year.

Last edited:
As the weight goes up it usually gets less pleasant as overheads shrink.
If none had any squat w 575 I'm curious why you felt the need for the equalizer, unless stability was a real problem.

The max tow weight is basically the same as my 04 5 speed titan @ 9500 so 14 years of modernization doesnt really buy much there, but thats not a surprise as the underpinnings and power are about the same.

Do you have another vehicle? Or is the truck your main ride?

No picts?

On the tires I get the choice, and would make the same choice if I had the same flexibility.
I often tow off-road vehicles pretty far off-road and road only tires get marginal even w 4wd.
Ill also tow to the lakes in the desert then go on a 4x4 run on the same trip, add to that I need a 3 peak mountain tire to bypass chain control for a few months a year.

I have no pics. A (potential) sway event is always a concern. Anybody who has driven the open highway along I-80 can attest to how windy it can get.

The squat I was referring to was after the WD hitch. Any tongue weight will make a half-ton's front go up in to the air.

The wife and I try to divide the millage up equally between the two vehicles we own when running around town. She has a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL-Limited-great vehicle BTW w/the 3.3. As I stated I just finished two back to back 1,700 mile trips through the Intermountain West-so the truck and the new trailer has seen some highway this past summer.

Attachments

• 2017-hyundai-santa-fe-lwb-vlp_performance.jpg
    2017-hyundai-santa-fe-lwb-vlp_performance.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Sway is the big worry with a [less than dually] truck. Towing a boat is easier than a box trailer in this regard. Maxing out a half ton with a flat bed carrying sheet metal is easier than a boat, and a boat is easier than a tall camper.
My truck, a 6.2 NHT max tow equipped half ton, on paper will do 11,200 and handle 2k payload. I would not want to buy a 10,000 lb trailer and expect to be safe on a windy highway. If the day comes that i get serious into a big camper it will be time to buy a dually. Probably an F450 for the sick turning radius.

Sway is the big worry with a [less than dually] truck. Towing a boat is easier than a box trailer in this regard. Maxing out a half ton with a flat bed carrying sheet metal is easier than a boat, and a boat is easier than a tall camper.
My truck, a 6.2 NHT max tow equipped half ton, on paper will do 11,200 and handle 2k payload. I would not want to buy a 10,000 lb trailer and expect to be safe on a windy highway. If the day comes that i get serious into a big camper it will be time to buy a dually. Probably an F450 for the sick turning radius.
You get it man.

What's your use for a truck? Doesn't sound like it'll be used much at all.

What about your daily driver having a trailer hitch, and buying a 5x8 utility trailer. I have a truck bed trailer with an 8' bed from a 2012 Ram 2500, does all I need in a truck and I pull it with my Jeep. No insurance, permanent registration, very little maintenance. $150 in tires every 6 years. Has the wheel bearings repacked, won't need anything else for another decade or more. Can buy a brand new utility trailer for probably $1500 or less.

Sway is not tow vehicle specific. Its at the hitch level. This is assuming that you have a proper match of tow vehicle and trailer. You are going to have to explain if two vehicles get caught in an 60mph crosswind-and both are towing an identical trailer, with identical Equalizer hitches -how a dually verses two wheels on the rear axle is going to prevent a sway event in the conditions I mentioned. Educate me.......on these physics.

...did he say or claim a dually would "prevent" a sway from occurring/ initiating?

Take your highway scenario and assume both have proper set up and a sway is initiated, for sway control and abatement which would you rather have a dually or a srw truck?

Last edited:
Definitely the Ford or Toyota. They are your two best ones too look into I have heard nothing but good things about both of them. As for the Nissan well it’s a Nissan I have heard mostly negative things about them from various owners. So I would definitely look into the Ford or Toyota. Don’t get a Chevrolet either unless it’s an old one because I see the new ones full of problems and issues.

...did he say or claim a dually would "prevent" a sway from occurring/ initiating?

Take your highway scenario and assume both have proper set up and a sway is initiated, for sway control and abatement which would you rather have a dually or a srw truck?

He said it was less than a worry with a dually-that's simply not true.

Back