Used 2010's Toyota Avalon Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Highly refined, Japanese take on a Buick Mercedes

Fixed that for 'ya!
It's the Japanese take on a Buick. I read somewhere that the average Avalon purchaser is over 65 years old.

Highly refined, Japanese take on a Buick

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

Fixed that for 'ya!
It's the Japanese take on a Buick. I read somewhere that the average Avalon purchaser is over 65 years old.

It's ironic that you both refer to this as a Japanese take; because the 3rd gen Avalon was primarily designed by LA office by Ian Cartabiano (parents Scottish-Greek), and was built in Kentucky, and NOT even sold in Japan or Europe. It's truly is more of an American made and designed car and doesn't have too much japanese influence in it.

I had a 2005 avalon, and the worksmanship (whether this is due to design or the kentucky plant) was not the same as a Japanese built or designed Toyota.

As far as comparison to a Mercedes, I disagree, the suspension, handling, and seats are buick not german. The LS400 and lexus brand was toyota's mercedes comparo.

Last edited:
To OP:

Be sure to look around for any loose hardware loose panels, or body gaps (again, because Kentucky plant, instead of Japan).

For Engine and Transmission, test and see if it is correctly responsive.
E.g. tap/jab at the accelerator pedal and does it respond or is it delayed/lagged? Does it also seem to search or hunt for gears when you vary the throttle? There is no way to resolve the transmission/acceleration if it's wonky.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Highly refined, Japanese take on a Buick

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

Fixed that for 'ya!

It's ironic that you both refer to this as a Japanese take; because the 3rd gen Avalon was primarily designed by LA office by Ian Cartabiano (parents Scottish-Greek), and was built in Kentucky, and NOT even sold in Japan or Europe. It's truly is more of an American made and designed car and doesn't have too much japanese influence in it.

I had a 2005 avalon, and the worksmanship (whether this is due to design or the kentucky plant) was not the same as a Japanese built or designed Toyota.

Ray, you are absolutely correct about the Avalon being an American creation. I didn't make that point because I thought it would be pedantic to point out two errors in it being both a Japanese take AND a Mercedes imitation.
In my personal experience the first generation Avalon, while not having the same extremely high quality feel of a personally owned Cressida or LS400, did prove to be an exceptionally reliable car over a long lifetime, more reliable than the Cressida but not the LS400.
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back