Turo Rental: 2022 Toyota Sienna Hybrid

It wasn't a cheap shot. Every one of the German cars that I have owned leaked oil, all 6 of them, and they all left oil stains on my garage floor and driveway that looked like what I saw in your picture.
Again, if you think that is oil, you might check your vision. And you had floor looking like that from oil? Talking about neglect.
Fine stuff is not for everyone.

I know it is standard and he does all his tests there. He knows the road, and you can pretty much drive any normal car over those rocks.
That is why I took photo of Sienna next to my BMW, so one actually can see how low it is. I also didn’t think it is that low until I actually had to park vehicle myself and found out that most curbs will be your enemy.
Another thing that just dawned upon me is bike rack hooked up on a hitch. There is no way I am not scraping bike rack getting off my driveway.
Here it is how it looks on my old Sienna:
View attachment 129626

Look how low the hitch is, and old Sienna was but higher.
I am not putting bikes on the roof as I usually have Yakima box on the roof.

As for Subaru, they are IMO shameless advertisers that are actually hurting people. They literally run billboards here with message like: conquer winter, nothing goes like Subaru in snow etc.
Outback here replaced Buick La Sabre and Toyota Avalon/Camry among 70+ crowd. Then they put budget tires on the vehicle and every time, absolutely every snow, it is massacre of Subaru’s. When I see one in the mirror, downshift and step on gas.
No wonder they blacklist reviewers. It is all messaging.
Even if you're driving on a road you don't know, you still need to look ahead and carefully choose your line, if in doubt, you stop the car and go on foot to scout the conditions a bit.

The Driving Sports TV guy is working on new course, own his on property for off-roading tests, so he doesn't have to depend on public property.

The tow receiver on the Sienna was a big reason why I crossed off the Sienna, and got the Highlander instead, when I saw the media photos.

I used to scrap the tow receiver a lot on my lowered Passat wagon (4" of clearance after VW Driver Gear springs aka Eibach Pro.kit springs), but never scrapped the bottom going off road to mountain bike trail heads.

If you're climbing a curb on the street, that's the driver's fault, not the vehicle.

1670434266408.jpg

Even if you're driving on a road you don't know, you still need to look ahead and carefully choose your line, if in doubt, you stop the car and go on foot to scout the conditions a bit.

The Driving Sports TV guy is working on new course, own his on property for off-roading tests, so he doesn't have to depend on public property.

The tow receiver on the Sienna was a big reason why I crossed off the Sienna, and got the Highlander instead, when I saw the media photos.

I used to scrap the tow receiver a lot on my lowered Passat wagon (4" of clearance after VW Driver Gear springs aka Eibach Pro.kit springs), but never scrapped the bottom going off road to mountain bike trail heads.

If you're climbing a curb on the street, that's the driver's fault, not the vehicle.

View attachment 129673
Curb on the street is an issue as you can scrape it etc. The front lip is lower than the curb, I am just giving you an example of why it is an issue, not that one should climb over the curve etc.

Yes, the hitch on the Sienna is absolutely ridiculous, and even OE Toyota looks like U-Haul one, super low to the ground. Woodland edition comes with it and kind of negates that 0.59" lift.
That guy can do whatever obstacle he wants, there is no any way around that this Sienna is a very low vehicle. For the Woodland edition to be useful where one wants to risk going to roads that he/she does not know, it needs at least 8" clearance. One thing is to try this at road you do know, and another is whether you are willing to risk it on a road you have never been on before.

Curb on the street is an issue as you can scrape it etc. The front lip is lower than the curb, I am just giving you an example of why it is an issue, not that one should climb over the curve etc.

Yes, the hitch on the Sienna is absolutely ridiculous, and even OE Toyota looks like U-Haul one, super low to the ground. Woodland edition comes with it and kind of negates that 0.59" lift.
That guy can do whatever obstacle he wants, there is no any way around that this Sienna is a very low vehicle. For the Woodland edition to be useful where one wants to risk going to roads that he/she does not know, it needs at least 8" clearance. One thing is to try this at road you do know, and another is whether you are willing to risk it on a road you have never been on before.
Again, curbing your front bumper is a driver issue, not the car. I don't hear a lot of Porsche 911 owners complaining about curbing their bumpers.

the Sienna isn't a SUV. It doesn't pretend to be an SUV. Toyota has SUV's for the people that want SUV's.

Again, curbing your front bumper is a driver issue, not the car. I don't hear a lot of Porsche 911 owners complaining about curbing their bumpers.

the Sienna isn't a SUV. It doesn't pretend to be an SUV. Toyota has SUV's for the people that want SUV's.
Bcs. you never scraped you car? You don't have any scratches on the bumper lip etc? Because, with kids, what could happen? I mean, I know you are perfect, and you could never catch a bumper on the curb, but for us, earthly people might be an issue.
It is not SUV, you are the one who posted that ridiculous video with what claim? it can do off-road?
What was your point in posting that video, then? They have that SUV. It is small, it is absolutely the least usable SUV in this segment when it comes to space.
If I could get away with that space, I would actually get a real vehicle, X5.

Bcs. you never scraped you car? You don't have any scratches on the bumper lip etc? Because, with kids, what could happen? I mean, I know you are perfect, and you could never catch a bumper on the curb, but for us, earthly people might be an issue.
It is not SUV, you are the one who posted that ridiculous video with what claim? it can do off-road?
What was your point in posting that video, then? They have that SUV. It is small, it is absolutely the least usable SUV in this segment when it comes to space.

There are many driveways in the older commercial districts around here where you could scrape coming out of the driveway in to the street. You have to remember to "angle" your vehicle. Sometimes you do-and sometimes you don't.

Excellent point CKN! I've noticed that around here as well. Terrible feeling hearing that scraping noise.

I have never scraped my car, even my lowered Passat when I took it soft-roading to some mountain bike trailheads.

You're the one complaining that the Sienna is too low, that it will scrape curbs, unless you forgot that you posted it. The point of the video is, even with "bad ground clearance" (even though on that trail, breakover angle was a bigger concern) it can do more than you expect, and apparently, your racecar driving doesn't translate to normal driving common sense.

I have never scraped my car, even my lowered Passat when I took it soft-roading to some mountain bike trailheads.

You're the one complaining that the Sienna is too low, that it will scrape curbs, unless you forgot that you posted it. The point of the video is, even with "bad ground clearance" (even though on that trail, breakover angle was a bigger concern) it can do more than you expect, and apparently, your racecar driving doesn't translate to normal driving common sense.
Well, leave us earthly, imperfect human beings to deal with this stuff, and you hang out with cool kids that never touched curve, rock, dirt etc.
Yes I did post it, but it really bothers you bcs. you are driving basically same malarkey, just smaller.

There are many driveways in the older commercial districts around here where you could scrape coming out of the driveway in to the street. You have to remember to "angle" your vehicle. Sometimes you do-and sometimes you don't.
Well if course, but there are here people who are just too perfect for us. They do everything right.

Still not sure why you're getting another vehicle that you will ultimately hate. You're already finding flaws, and it's not even yours yet!

Still not sure why you're getting another vehicle that you will ultimately hate. You're already finding flaws, and it's not even yours yet!
I am not sure that vehicle without flaws exists?
It is all about whether positives outweigh negatives. This Sienna is big departure from old one. Old one was dynamically challenged, to be generous, but was getting horrid mpg. This one is a. better on feet, and while down on power, you get really good mpg. It is not M3 where 16mpg is worth every cent when burning it.
It is refrigerator and the question is whether it can do whatever I want it to do at lowest possible cost. It is road trip car. I don’t plan to drive it on regular basis, I have two actual cars for that.

I am not sure that vehicle without flaws exists?
It is all about whether positives outweigh negatives. This Sienna is big departure from old one. Old one was dynamically challenged, to be generous, but was getting horrid mpg. This one is a. better on feet, and while down on power, you get really good mpg. It is not M3 where 16mpg is worth every cent when burning it.
It is refrigerator and the question is whether it can do whatever I want it to do at lowest possible cost. It is road trip car. I don’t plan to drive it on regular basis, I have two actual cars for that.
Are the MB Metris vans a decent option? Maybe they aren’t available with AWD, which would be be a deal breaker in your area.

Are the MB Metris vans a decent option? Maybe they aren’t available with AWD, which would be be a deal breaker in your area.
Only RWD. Heavy front, light rear, regardless of snow tires is not an option. Then I need AWD for other surfaces. But, it is interesting vehicle.

Back