trust dipstick or manual for refill capacity??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dipstick

Less likely to be misprinted, and accounts for drain variables. There doesn't seem much point in using the manual as the ultimate reference for an oil change if you are going to be using the dipstick for the subsequent oil checks.

Plus the dipstick hasn't been translated from Japanese.

Plus my manuals pages were stuck together because it got wet, and I don't know where it is.

Since it was in Chinese, it probably manages to be ambiguous in the original anyway, and it'd have to be translated into English.

Last edited:
Follow this advice and you'll be golden.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Asia don't use : Same language. Same system same filter .all those variation are responsible .only use doesn't use metric

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Uregina09

Asia don't use : Same language. Same system same filter .all those variation are responsible .only use doesn't use metric

What is he saying?

Originally Posted By: Timo325

What is he saying?

He is saying : L'Asie n'utilise pas: la même langue. Même système du même filtre. Toutes ces variations sont responsables. Seulement l'utilisation n'utilise pas de métrique
..... in French.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: hardheaded
one of my cars owners manual states that it takes 6 quarts. that's only half way on the dip stick.

If it's the correct car manual that cites the correct engine, then what's written is true.
That dipstick that only shows half-way-up could have come from anywhere.

Always trust the manual and NOT the dipstick.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Dipstick, not manual.

Perhaps in Malaysia, but not typical American vehicles written in English.
Manual - NOT DIPSTICK. Also, many people don;t know how to correctly read a dipstick. Many vehicle dipsticks today have safe zones and people confuse it with either full or add.

I'm still trying to decipher the comment.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
I trust the manual.

I trust the manual and my manuals say to use the dipstick to verify the proper oil level.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Perhaps in Malaysia, but not typical American vehicles written in English.
Manual - NOT DIPSTICK. Also, many people don;t know how to correctly read a dipstick. Many vehicle dipsticks today have safe zones and people confuse it with either full or add.

Yes, or think that they have the accuracy of a graduated cylinder, and try to add drops of oil to meet some level on the dipstick they think is magical and axiomatic.

My friend had a 2001 4.6L F-150, I have a 2002 4.6L F-150. When he did an oil and filter change using 6 qts his dipstick read barely above the add mark. Mine would read at exactly at the full mark using 6 qts and a new filter. Both of our OM stated to use 6 qts for an oil and filter change. Use the OM fill amount and note where on the dip stick it reads and that is your "full mark".

Whimsey

I had a 2001 Buick LeSabre that the manual quantity was wrong, because the oil pan had been changed from steel to aluminum sometime during the year and the volume was increased. Dealer told me. I also had a '61 Ford with a 352 CID engine and a '97 Olds 98 with a 350 CID engine that showed a quart too much oil using the manual quantity. Never found out if it were a dipstick or dipstick tube problem. Never had any problem with the "over filling".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ffhdriver
I had a 2001 Buick LeSabre that the manual quantity was wrong, because the oil pan had been changed from steel to aluminum sometime during the year and the volume was increased. Dealer told me. I also had a '61 Ford with a 352 CID engine and a '97 Olds 98 with a 350 CID engine that showed a quart too much oil using the manual quantity. Never found out if it were a dipstick or dipstick tube problem. Never had any problem with the "over filling".
Sorry, it was a '77 Olds.

Originally Posted By: Matt6127
I just changed the oil in my Subaru. New filter and 5 quarts, never even pulled the dipstick.

This is exactly why I do not buy used cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back