1978 Lincoln Continental 460 oil capacity??

He did what exactly?
Equate 6.6L to 460 cubic inches?
You need to take a little break, instead of making 10 posts in 10 minutes that say nothing.

The picture in the manual the OP posted in his original post says clear as day 4 quarts, with an extra quart (5), with a filter change. For both the 6.6 L (400), and 7.5 L (460) engine. Everyone else can see this, why can't you?

The manual is quite clear. I don’t see why the OP is even asking.

People are surprised at the big motor with the small capacity, but that’s based on what oil pan Ford chose for that motor to fit it in that car.

5 quarts. Check with dipstick.

a person could always add oil, then use the dipstick. just saying. lather rinse repeat after that until satisfied.. :)

but like someone else already said, large V8 of that era was probably 5 or 6 quarts...

Any reason why my 2.0L Mercedes Metris requires 8.1 quarts?
Besides being turbocharged?

its the way the Germans do things.. been my experience the Krauts lean towards higher lube capacity but with a smaller cooling system..

The manual is quite clear. I don’t see why the OP is even asking.

Is it? It could be read as an addendum to add a quart if changing only the filter.

People are surprised at the big motor with the small capacity, but that’s based on what oil pan Ford chose for that motor to fit it in that car.

It is fairly common in the realm of "Big Block" Fords (FE and 385 series) to add an extra quart, Ford even had TSBs to do so in some cases.

5 quarts. Check with dipstick.

He says on another forum that he did an oil and filter change with 4 QTS and it shows full on the dipstick.

All the oil in the filter and the oil passages inside the engine contain maybe a quart of oil. Any additional oil in the pan is just a reserve. That's why you often see cars two, three, or even four quarts low not turning the oil light on or experiencing any damage when driven like that.

Is it? It could be read as an addendum to add a quart if changing only the filter.

It is fairly common in the realm of "Big Block" Fords (FE and 385 series) to add an extra quart, Ford even had TSBs to do so in some cases.

He says on another forum that he did an oil and filter change with 4 QTS and it shows full on the dipstick.
Then - he has followed the manual and verified the proper level.

Most passenger car v8 in 60s and 70s were 5qts with filter, some hi po motors took more. Many Trucks took more.
I was servicing hundreds back then. Memory is trashed though, lol.

Op has the owner's manual - with admittedly confusing verbiage - for some.

Last edited:
Chilton's online info.
Screenshot 2023-09-16 9.48.14 AM.jpg

Back