2023+ Honda Pilot owners--check for fuel dilution

If the car was a 22 I would of answered it differently. 23 and newer oil changes is under warranty. They don't even have to plug into the car it's all through the imid satellite odb3. I am not disagreeing there is a problem but should of taken it back to the dealership at 400 miles. That starts the ticket. He already changed the oil 3 times before the first one should of been done. Just like changing the oil to late too soon is also bad. The rings never broke in and won't .

A lot of nonsense spoken there.

Engines are broken in before they're even fitted to the car!

Changing too soon won't hurt anything other than your wallet.

Guys, rings break in at way less than 100 miles--any engine builder knows this. And please stop with the warranty nonsense--I'm a lawyer, and I when I say there will be no warranty issue, I can assure you there won't be regardless of what oil viscosity I'm using, and how often I'm changing my oil (as long as I'm changing it within at least the recommended interval). I'm not guessing when I say this. As to the obvious fuel dilution issue I'm having, I know it's a combination of short trips, newish engine, direct injection only, VCM, and perhaps software problems. It may also just be a bad engine design--we'll see. My post was merely to warn other 2023+ Pilot owners to watch out.
I'm curious to see if this is a common trend for the J35Y8 or just yours. Honda isn't new to this...I have the Y5 which was the first iteration with GDI 10 years ago. No excessive dilution and it's the same engine with 2 less cams. I short trip it way worse than you do too.

Honda has fuel dilution issues in GDI, especially Turbo. Numerous UOA has confirmed fuel levels of 4% and greater than 5% resulting in 100C viscosity drop by 2-3+ cSt. Your best course of action is to use higher viscosity and change oil sooner. Read your Honda manual again, the viscosity is recommended and not required. The ATF fluid for example is “specified Honda ATF 2.0”, but oil just needs to be API licensed, the viscosity is a recommendation

Honda has fuel dilution issues in GDI, especially Turbo. Numerous UOA has confirmed fuel levels of 4% and greater than 5% resulting in 100C viscosity drop by 2-3+ cSt. Your best course of action is to use higher viscosity and change oil sooner. Read your Honda manual again, the viscosity is recommended and not required. The ATF fluid for example is “specified Honda ATF 2.0”, but oil just needs to be API licensed, the viscosity is a recommendation
The Honda Pilot doesn't have a small displacement TGDI like you're referencing.

[QUOTE="I The Honda Pilot doesn't have a small displacement TGDI like you're referencing.
[/QUOTE]
Ok, do we have any UOA for this engine to see if fuel dilution still an issue? I thought OP is suspecting fuel dilution, if so, lets see the numbers.

Ok, do we have any UOA for this engine to see if fuel dilution still an issue? I thought OP is suspecting fuel dilution, if so, lets see the numbers.
I have no idea. I'm just saying that you were referencing small displacement GTDI engines...the one in the Pilot is a 3.5l V6 DOHC engine.

[QUOTE="I I have no idea. I'm just saying that you were referencing small displacement GTDI engines...the one in the Pilot is a 3.5l V6 DOHC engine.
[/QUOTE]
Its different, but perhaps fuel dilution is still there, turbo just makes it worse

Of all the vehicles I’ve owned. I’ve never changed the factory fill early, especially Honda since they use a higher moly content oil. Non have ever experienced oil burning or damage because of it.
I wonder if the reason for the high molt is yo offset the potential for higher particulate?

Same engine as the Ridgeline.
A friend of mine, works for his dad, and the company has many 2021, 2022, and 2023, Pilots, and Ridglelines.
They don't have this issue, but have been ultra reliable.
Nor are they babied, in fact seeing how they get driven, I'll say they're treated rather harshly.

Same engine as the Ridgeline.
A friend of mine, works for his dad, and the company has many 2021, 2022, and 2023, Pilots, and Ridglelines.
They don't have this issue, but have been ultra reliable.
Nor are they babied, in fact seeing how they get driven, I'll say they're treated rather harshly.
Kinda, sorta, but no.

No, not the same engine. The 2023 Pilot gets the new 3.5l DOHC engine. The Ridgeline doesn’t. It still uses the previous SOHC 3.5l.

[QUOTE="I Kinda, sorta, but no.

No, not the same engine. The 2023 Pilot gets the new 3.5l DOHC engine. The Ridgeline doesn’t. It still uses the previous SOHC 3.5l.
[/QUOTE]

Called Bruce up and asked, their 2023 Pilots are doing great.
No need to get so mad, as to even leave angry emojis.
Its not like I shot your dog.

Called Bruce up and asked, their 2023 Pilots are doing great.
No need to get so mad, as to even leave angry emojis.
Its not like I shot your dog.
You’re giving out wrong information. Should we heart react to that?

And yeah, there wasn’t a reason to think the new 3.5l would have any issues aside from being a brand new engine.

I have a long list of UOA's at 4k miles on both my honda's documenting fuel dilution since the day I bought them. I knew what I was getting in to. Heck, I had fuel dilution, although not to this extreme, on my older J35 in my long sold 17' accord. The GDI definitely just made it worse. My theory is this:
To avoid carbon build up on the valves, the valve angle and injector angle was designed to allow SOME spray onto the valves at SOME points of the combustion cycle at SOME RPM. Although honda has mentioned this, and no serious reports of carbon build up have come up, as well as some engine tear downs have shown things to be okay in that regard, this comes at a cost that the injectors literally are spraying some fuel on to the cylinder walls. This can't be completely mitigated in GDI systems, but can be minimized. Seems what ever honda did with their geometry caused this.

I change my oil every 4000 miles, but I do 99% highway mileage and still get anywhere between 2.5 and 5 % fuel dilution.

The reason I buy honda's is because I know how to work on them, not because they are the best engine's or cars out there. For long term reliability and care free maintenance, buy a toyota, I have several, and I don't even bother doing UOA's on them after 200k+ miles because I know I don't need to. Every honda I have had (and I have had many) is a finicky thing that has a temperament, (some enthusiast call it a soul, but its also known as a PITA). In the 6 speed days, some people never changed the transmission fluid, some did, on mine, it didn't like going over 30k miles without a trans fluid change, the moment I changed the fluid, its like a child on sugar, feeling peppy and energetic. The oil changes are the same way. Same with the valve adjustments. Some people literally go 100k miles without a valve adjustment, I have done 3 in my entire life, 2 on the J35, and one a J30. But My brother in law never did one and I don't think he needs one. I am not sure why these things are the way they are at honda. Maybe its that the tolerances are a bit more loose on some things, and thus there is more variation from engine to engine, car to car. I have seen people have honda's literally fail for no reason, back in the early 2000's my uncle had 4 transmissins replaced under warranty and swore he would never buy a honda again. I have been trouble free.

My toyota experience on the other hand is just that, a toyota expereince. Buy, drive, forget. The fun ones and the boring ones, all perform exactly the same in regards to longevity and maitanance. There are a very small amount that had issues over the years (the early 0w20 2.4L 2AZ's for example, as well as the first year of the 2GR, and some 2GR taco's) but mostly its a don't look under the hood car.

My mother in her old age recently hit a deer at 55mph in her Lexus ES, there was almost no damage to the car. All the impact was taken by a thick piece of foam between the bumper and the crash bar. No air bags, no hood or fender damage. Just cracked up grill. Insane. Literally insane. I would NEVER do that in a honda, I baby my honda's beacuse good luck breaking ONE clip and scouring the entire internet to find it because its some special clip that even the germans wouldn't bother inventing. Honda, like Mazda and Subaru, have that stubborn Japanese mentality in some aspects, where they will do things their way, or no way. Toyota has shown to be very flexible to trying new things, except making a good EV for some reason.

Back