1978 Lincoln Continental 460 oil capacity??

Here's the '79 I had in '97, no suit required.

1.jpg

Friend, why not just start with 4 quarts and pour a half quart at a time and check the dip stick. No need to get a post to 3 pages in no time over it.

Even on new cars the exact level can be a little off on paper compared to measuring and checking. It's got a dip stick, it's not a bmw. Use it.

Thank you for all the reply’s.
Lots of good and confusing information.

Let me explain the scenario a little better.

Changed the oil and filter and added 4 quarts of oil and then ran the car until it was at operation temperature,turned it off and waiting 10 minutes and checked the oil again and it is registering full on the dip stick?……So therefore this is why I made the Original post asking the oil capacity because the dipstick is showing full with only 4 quarts added??

The 1978 Lincoln manual says 4 quarts(+1 with filter change)
*Oil level to be determined by dipstick

The wording was a little confusing in the manual.

NOW with all that being said a oil change with new filter should take 5 quarts?

My dipstick is showing full with 4 quarts and this is the confusion of the whole thing.

Car has the original oil pan and dipstick and both are in good working order,nothing broke or bent.
Thanks for all the information

Attachments

• IMG_4613.jpeg
    IMG_4613.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 4
Do you know for certain the dip stick is accurate? The dipstick on my Jeep was off. There was even a TSB issued on it. It was replaced because it was a quart off. It happens.

For the past 40 years I've put 5 qts with a filter change in my 460 & 400 ci 1972 - 1979 Lincolns (2 72s, 2 78s, 2 79s)

The guy who's saying 6 qts probably has a later model year 460 pick up.
thank you,My feeling is you have the best and most accurate information of all the posts in this thread.

Do you know for certain the dip stick is accurate? The dipstick on my Jeep was off. There was even a TSB issued on it. It was replaced because it was a quart off. It happens.
I mean the dipstick has not grown or shrunk in length to my knowledge and is the original and correct one for this engine/vehicle year.

I agree it can happen

Attachments

• IMG_4609.jpeg
    IMG_4609.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 16
I had a 460ci in my '77 E-350 Club Wagon. It was a 5qt. (with filter change) capacity.

The manual is pretty clear to me. However, like others have posted, pour in 4qts, run it, shut it off, let it settle and check the level. Add more as necessary.

On the other end of the spectrum, I once had a Fiat 128 with a 1.1 liter engine. It took around 4.5-5.0 qts.

Seriously, I'd see what these guys say: https://www.460ford.com/

I suspect the oil fill spec was based on the vehicle type. And that the oil pan depths would be different.

thank you,My feeling is you have the best and most accurate information of all the posts in this thread.
Thank you for reading my post. I also have a 1977 Grand Marquis with a 460 and it also uses 5 qts. I always used 10W30 with no problems.

BTW did you use 4 single quart bottles or 1 large jug?

Thank you for reading my post. I also have a 1977 Grand Marquis with a 460 and it also uses 5 qts. I always used 10W30 with no problems.

BTW did you use 4 single quart bottles or 1 large jug?
5 gallon jug of Amsoil 10w-30
poured some of it in the new filter and then the engine During oil change
What oil that was left in the 5 quart jug I poured into a measuring cup and there was 30 oz of oil(32 oz=1guart)roughly a quart.

MY 74 ford F250 and 77 CHEVY Malibu has 360 and 305 respectively and both hold 5 quarts.

Sheeple.
My 5.0 demands 5 quarts with a new filter.
I'll put 6 in my 460.
Do what you want.
With my last 3 302 Fords had you put 5 quarts with a filter in one if them it would have been about 60% full. None of them would have been at full capacity. You do what you want.

Magic mirror on the wall....

OP - start with 6. Check your dipstick, hopefully it's the right one for the setup.

EDIT: I suggest 6 as I had a Ford 460 (not original of course) in an F150 and I believe it held 6. Might have been 5. Might be a good idea to start with 5 as suggested above. Run it for 10 seconds or so and check it after adding. 10 seconds won't hurt a thing, even a quart or even 2 low.

Last edited:
Back