2023+ Honda Pilot owners--check for fuel dilution

Purchased a 2023 Honda Pilot about 6 months ago--it has the new v6 with direct injection only, plus VCM. Changed the oil at 400 miles to 5w-30, then changed oil again at 1,500 miles. After the 1500 mile, change, the level on my dipstick kept rising, and the oil smelled like gas. Dumped the oil yesterday at 3,200 miles, and it absolutely reeked of gas. 90% of my miles is short trips--5 miles to work, the store, etc., though I'm in SoCal so temps rarely go below 55F. Looks like I'm going to put this on a 2,500 OCI with 5w-30 (manual calls for 0w-20). Disappointed.

Disappointing and a great way to wreck an engine imo. I would have sent the oil with 1,500 miles on it in for analysis to see just how bad it might have been. 5w30 is a good choice, run it 2,500 miles and get it analyzed. You might have to bump it up to a 40 grade, and/or bring it to the dealer with the UOA if the oil is spent after 2,500 miles, and express your concerns. I'd bring it to them now, excuses are sure to follow, a UOA might help though.

Wear metals might be on the high side because the engine is still breaking in, my concern is how badly diluted the oil is with fuel. I short hop my wife's Jeep a lot since she retired, and fuel dilution is never an issue with the UOA reports I have for it. Even when it was driven 45 miles a day round trip compared to a lot of round trips under 5 miles now.

Disappointing and a great way to wreck an engine imo. I would have sent the oil with 1,500 miles on it in for analysis to see just how bad it might have been. 5w30 is a good choice, run it 2,500 miles and get it analyzed. You might have to bump it up to a 40 grade, and/or bring it to the dealer with the UOA if the oil is spent after 2,500 miles, and express your concerns. I'd bring it to them now, excuses are sure to follow, a UOA might help though.

Wear metals might be on the high side because the engine is still breaking in, my concern is how badly diluted the oil is with fuel. I short hop my wife's Jeep a lot since she retired, and fuel dilution is never an issue with the UOA reports I have for it. Even when it was driven 45 miles a day round trip compared to a lot of round trips under 5 miles now.
Thanks. Since I already changed the oil, I'll wait until I go to the dealer as they will never believe I've already changed the oil 3 times at 3,200 miles anyway. I'm going to change the oil again at 5K miles and do an oil analysis to see just how bad things are. I was concerned about the direct injection only aspect of this engine when I bought it, but I figured Honda knows what they are doing when it comes to engines (though on the other hand, they are stubbornly sticking with the 1.5L turbo).

here is some cheap 5w30 for you to buy and change often

That's funny, because that's exactly the oil I'm using. It's good stuff.

Why did you change the oil at 400 miles? Honda has a program that warranties oil changes to 24k or 2 years for 23 or newer. I tow a 4k camper with no issues with the 0w20 and 5k oil changes. Honda also has a 50k power train factory warranty.

My opinion you voided the warranty. Should of taken it back to the dealership at 400 miles.

Thanks. Since I already changed the oil, I'll wait until I go to the dealer as they will never believe I've already changed the oil 3 times at 3,200 miles anyway. I'm going to change the oil again at 5K miles and do an oil analysis to see just how bad things are. I was concerned about the direct injection only aspect of this engine when I bought it, but I figured Honda knows what they are doing when it comes to engines (though on the other hand, they are stubbornly sticking with the 1.5L turbo).
That sounds like a good plan. I'm not a fan of DI, and I took a lot of heat about it over the years here. I would have thought by now they'd have it nailed. In any event hopefully it isn't going to cause any engine issues, and Honda has a fix for you. Good luck!

Purchased a 2023 Honda Pilot about 6 months ago--it has the new v6 with direct injection only, plus VCM. Changed the oil at 400 miles to 5w-30, then changed oil again at 1,500 miles. After the 1500 mile, change, the level on my dipstick kept rising, and the oil smelled like gas. Dumped the oil yesterday at 3,200 miles, and it absolutely reeked of gas. 90% of my miles is short trips--5 miles to work, the store, etc., though I'm in SoCal so temps rarely go below 55F. Looks like I'm going to put this on a 2,500 OCI with 5w-30 (manual calls for 0w-20). Disappointed.
I bet your 5 mile drive isn’t helping the situation. Plus being a brand new vehicle isn’t helping either. Disable that VCM while you’re at it. These 3.5L’s and VCM don’t do well with each other. I disabled our 19 after the first oil change. 60K all is good. At least you don’t have to worry about the six speed like I do. Synthetic ATF has been great so far. Get that thing on the highway and report back.

Last edited:
Why did you change the oil at 400 miles? Honda has a program that warranties oil changes to 24k or 2 years for 23 or newer. I tow a 4k camper with no issues with the 0w20 and 5k oil changes. Honda also has a 50k power train factory warranty.

My opinion you voided the warranty. Should of taken it back to the dealership at 400 miles.
No owner’s manual nor warranty booklet says that or states it’s a warranty issue.

If the car was a 22 I would of answered it differently. 23 and newer oil changes is under warranty. They don't even have to plug into the car it's all through the imid satellite odb3. I am not disagreeing there is a problem but should of taken it back to the dealership at 400 miles. That starts the ticket. He already changed the oil 3 times before the first one should of been done. Just like changing the oil to late too soon is also bad. The rings never broke in and won't .

Why did you change the oil at 400 miles?

If you happen to ever get a new engine or another new Honda vehicle, try to resist the urge to changing the factory oil so soon.

You aren't doing yourself any favors by doing so, and in fact may be partially to blame for your issues.

I am by no means an expert on this subject, but as to my understanding Honda uses some sort of moly lube during assembly that they want in there during the break-in period.

I don't know of anyone besides you that would think changing the stock "break-in" oil after only 400 miles would be a good idea.

Either way, perhaps your piston rings just need more time to seat correctly and your issues will get better over time. Or maybe not. I don't know.

Keep us updated. Good luck!

If the car was a 22 I would of answered it differently. 23 and newer oil changes is under warranty. They don't even have to plug into the car it's all through the imid satellite odb3. I am not disagreeing there is a problem but should of taken it back to the dealership at 400 miles. That starts the ticket. He already changed the oil 3 times before the first one should of been done. Just like changing the oil to late too soon is also bad. The rings never broke in and won't .
So you’re saying that magic factory juice is what “brakes” the rings in? And 400 miles isn’t enough? Okay

Honda provides a 5 year or 60000 mile powertrain warranty, not 50000.

Honda does not "warranty" the oil changes to 24000 miles or 2 years, they provide free oil changes along with some other free maintenance during that time or mile limit. The oil changes and other maintenance provided may be determined by when the Maintenance Minder goes off which can vary from 5000-10000 miles for the oil depending on driver usage and conditions.

So you’re saying that magic factory juice is what “brakes” the rings in? And 400 miles isn’t enough? Okay

Iirc, the logic was moly-rich assembly lubes wash into the FF. This moly in turn avoid hot spots forming on cylinder walls during break-in. And hot spots could result in deposits forming on cylinder walls thus compromising ring seal.

Honda used to be pretty explicit about leaving the FF in for a normal interval. It doesn’t say much now but the logic may still hold. If so, 400 miles may not be enough.

Back